Value of: Best available free agent defenseman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Who is it? Montour? Skjei? Pesce?
Is there as first paid defenseman available or would you call these guys top 4?
Thanks in advance
Skjei and its not close. he is a 2-way dman and very good at both aspects, no other dman in this UFA class can say that to the level he plays

Reactions: PREDy 4 the Cup

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Because in 28 games he showed more poise and skill than I’ve seen in any of the others. He's been to 2 camps, played 100 AHL games and I'm a ND fan.

Weren’t you the one saying Molendyk was a terrible pick because you watched some videos?
I mean that’s fair but 28 games? Our best after josi? Not that the competition is hard but I just don’t feel the same. Hope I’m wrong. Like I was with the Molendyk pick haha, I said it was a reach but it is turning out decently. I’m happily wrong there

I don't think you have to worry about 8x8 with Pesce. But even 6x6 is a little scary... except I'm resigned to the fact the Preds will need to go at least that high to get him. And I'd do it. Because we need him in that spot too desperately.

Now, if 6x6 still isn't enough - and with all the open Cap around the league this summer it might not be! - well, yikes. :help:
I figure we sign Skjei, Pesce, Roy or Montour. We are desperate and we need at least one of them. Two would be ideal. I agree about the high contracts but I mean in a few years we won’t be back logged by turris duchene or Johansen buyouts either. We shall see my friend.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
I’m just scared as a Preds fan that he’s going to get some ridiculous 8x8 contract and stink in a few years. Especially after dealing with bums like Turris and Johansen. Ugh..

I love Pesce on a 3-4 year deal though. Pay him like a top pair guy and play him with josi. It’s crazy Skjei is older than Pesce but appears to have more productive hockey left in him. Both are big guys that play hard. Pesce better defensively but not by a lot and Skjei is the same but on offense.
We don’t need offense with Roman already there. I feel like josi would be even more productive with a guy like Pesce over Skjei because he can gamble more if he so chooses too knowing Pesce has his back.
You realize that Pesce and Skjei are like 8 months apart age difference lmao. You are making it seem like it’s 4 years haha.

• Haha

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I’m just scared as a Preds fan that he’s going to get some ridiculous 8x8 contract and stink in a few years. Especially after dealing with bums like Turris and Johansen. Ugh..

I love Pesce on a 3-4 year deal though. Pay him like a top pair guy and play him with josi. It’s crazy Skjei is older than Pesce but appears to have more productive hockey left in him. Both are big guys that play hard. Pesce better defensively but not by a lot and Skjei is the same but on offense.
We don’t need offense with Roman already there. I feel like josi would be even more productive with a guy like Pesce over Skjei because he can gamble more if he so chooses too knowing Pesce has his back.
Skjei is lightyears better than Pesce at this point and he has been better in general for the last 2.5 seasons. Offense it's not even a little bit close, Skjei is much better in every aspect. Stay at home D Pesce is better but Skjei is better in transition and defending the rush. Skjei is an excellent skater with a good shot and will line people up from time to time. Pesce is a board battle net front guy. This is why they work really well together. Skjei is getting better and better, maybe he has peaked but his skillset and physical abilities should keep him productive for a while. Pesce has lost speed and has played very hard heavy minutes. He is declining and I wouldn't be surprised if in 2-3 years he would be better suited for bottom pairing. The style of game he plays isn't going to age well

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Seems like a solid crop of top 4 d-men. Hard to say who's the best available though. I'd love it if the Sharks could land Skjei and Montour/Pesce/Roy without crippling our future cap long term.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
These are probably the best 30 UFA defensemen that are available but not all of these players will make it to market. Tanev might resign with Dallas but is on the list for now.

LD Skjei - Carolina
RD Montour - Florida
RD Tanev - Dallas
RD Pesce - Carolina
RD Roy - Los Angeles
LD Zadorov - Vancouver
LD Ekman-Larsson - Florida
RD Dumba - Tampa Bay
RD Gostisbehere - Detroit
RD Walker - Colorado
RD Kulikov - Florida
RD Myers - Vancouver
RD DeMelo - Winnipeg
LD Martinez - Vegas
LD Cole - Vancouver
RD Schultz - Seattle
LD Dillon - Winnipeg
RD Lyubushkin - Toronto
RD Carrier - Nashville
LD Forbort - Boston
LD Brodie - Toronto
LD De Haan - Tampa Bay
RD Shattenkirk - Boston
RD Barrie - Nashville
LD Edmundson - Toronto
LD Grzelcyk - Boston
LD Gustafsson - NY Rangers
LD Fleury - Tampa Bay
RD Hakanpaa - Dallas
LD Kylington - Calgary

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
These are probably the best 30 UFA defensemen that are available but not all of these players will make it to market. Tanev might resign with Dallas but is on the list for now.

LD Skjei - Carolina
RD Montour - Florida
RD Tanev - Dallas
RD Pesce - Carolina
RD Roy - Los Angeles
LD Zadorov - Vancouver
RD Dumba - Tampa Bay
RD Walker - Colorado
RD Kulikov - Florida
RD Myers - Vancouver
RD DeMelo - Winnipeg
LD Martinez - Vegas
LD Cole - Vancouver
RD Schultz - Seattle
LD Dillon - Winnipeg
RD Lyubushkin - Toronto
RD Carrier - Nashville
LD Forbort - Boston
LD Brodie - Toronto
LD De Haan - Tampa Bay
RD Shattenkirk - Boston
RD Barrie - Nashville
LD Edmundson - Toronto
LD Grzelcyk - Boston
LD Fleury - Tampa Bay
RD Hakanpaa - Dallas
LD Kylington - Calgary
There will be lota of interest in Vincent Desharnais( RD ). He makes my top30 for sure.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011

LD Skjei - Carolina
RD Montour - Florida
RD Tanev - Dallas
RD Pesce - Carolina
RD Roy - Los Angeles
LD Zadorov - Vancouver
RD Dumba - Tampa Bay
RD Walker - Colorado
RD Kulikov - Florida
RD Myers - Vancouver
RD DeMelo - Winnipeg
LD Martinez - Vegas
LD Cole - Vancouver
RD Schultz - Seattle
LD Dillon - Winnipeg
RD Lyubushkin - Toronto
RD Carrier - Nashville
LD Forbort - Boston
LD Brodie - Toronto
LD De Haan - Tampa Bay
RD Shattenkirk - Boston
RD Barrie - Nashville
LD Edmundson - Toronto
LD Grzelcyk - Boston
LD Fleury - Tampa Bay
RD Hakanpaa - Dallas
LD Kylington - Calgary
Great list. Thank you for sharing.
My only objections are I feel maybe Myers and demelo are too low while kulikov and Dumba are too high. The rest looks really good though. I don’t see how anyone signs Tyson Barrie though. He’s so awful I’m so glad he’s gone from the Preds.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Pesce is being significantly under-valued.

He had the highest % against top-line competition on Carolina last year, as he has for 2 of the last 3; has had the lowest GA/60 on the PK for Canes' D from 2020-2024 (cumulative--one year Skjei was slightly better, but Pesce was equal or better than Slavin every year and solidly better than both when the four years are aggregated).

Pesce has made every partner better. Aa many argue, he may be losing a step, but his defensive acumen and ability to free up his partner is really unsurpassed.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Matt Roy
Chris Tanev
Dylan DeMelo
Brett Pesce

These 4 defensive RD will draw a lot of interest from a lot teams, for sure.

I can see Toronto signing one of them. I'm sure Ottawa will try, too, whether or not they can land one is a different story.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Matt Roy
Chris Tanev
Dylan DeMelo
Brett Pesce

These 4 defensive RD will draw a lot of interest from a lot teams, for sure.

I can see Toronto signing one of them. I'm sure Ottawa will try, too, whether or not they can land one is a different story.
Yzerman needs to find a way to get at least one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad