Besides Roy, which other forward prospect makes the team?

Who do you think will make the team from camp?

• Total voters

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Barre-Boulet has the inside track, but honestly even Roy doesn't have a secure spot in the lineup. If Roy comes to camp thinking his spot is secure he'll more then likely get sent down (Much like Justin Barron last year).

Agreed here. Don't think Roy is a slam dunk lock at all.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
The answer is Roy and that's it basically lol

CC - Nick - Slaf
Newhook - Dach -Anderson/Gallagher/Armia
Roy - Dvorak - Anderson/Gallagher/Armia
Pezzeta - Evans - Anderson/Gallagher/Armia

After Dvorak gets traded near or at the deadline, THEN Beck obviously gets brought up

The real question is, how in the world can you still have Anderson to start next season, he has to GO so bad..

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think Heineman has a shot depending on how hungry he is. Might be all that she wrote if he doesn't start establishing himself this year.

CC - Nick - Slaf

After Dvorak gets traded near or at the deadline, THEN Beck obviously gets brought up

The real question is, how in the world can you still have Anderson to start next season, he has to GO so bad..
He can be 13th forward without much problem. Just sit him.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

CC - Nick - Slaf

Pretty much agree although Pezzetta is definitely the odd man out on most nights. They were better off leaving Anderson alone and letting him speed up and down the wing than trying to make him into something he is not. Hopefully he plays in the bottom six and goes back to his old style of play. There is little doubt that Josh is not a guy that is made to play in MSL's system and I also hope he is moved as long as we don't take on extra term from another salary dump coming the other way..

Reactions: Redux91

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
The habs have 11 forwards (Suzuki, Slaf, Caufield, Dach, Newhook, Roy, Dvorak, Anderson, Gallagher, Armia, Evans) expected to be regulars + Pezzetta as the 13th forward. That leaves us with 1 open spot. Assuming we don't acquire a forward, which prospect do you think will make the team?

In terms of readiness it's prob
Hein
Kapanen

Pretty much agree although Pezzetta is definitely the odd man out on most nights. They were better off leaving Anderson alone and letting him speed up and down the wing than trying to make him into something he is not. Hopefully he plays in the bottom six and goes back to his old style of play. There is little doubt that Josh is not a guy that is made to play in MSL's system and I also hope he is moved as long as we don't take on extra term from another salary dump coming the other way..

I still think a top 6 trade is coming. Josh could go the other way if it's a reclamation project for project kind of trade. Don't think Beck gets a spot ahead of Kapanen at all given they will want to develop him in the AHL for a few years imo (unless he dominates the AHL early).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I pick Heinemen because he might have the best profile for bottom 6, speed size.

Yup, the ones who have more experience playing against men have the highest probability.

* Boulet has the inside track.
* Kapanen has experience against a tight checking SHL with men. He's going to get a real shot at cracking this line-up. If he makes it, I bet you we trade Dvorak.
* Heineman has had way too many injuries but he's age 22 and has good size/skating. He could take Ylonen's spot as depth player.
* Beck might have shown more maturity at a young age but he should not be rag dolled in his first pro season. Let him gain momentum in the AHL with high usage.

Too early to ask this question though. I think there is going to be a few more trades. If no trades it's tight.

Roy / Suzuki / Slaf
Newhook / Dach / Caufield
Boulet / Evans / Armia
Anderson / Dvorak / Gallagher

Pezzetta
* RHP (on LTIR)

We are probably going with 8D and 13F vs 7D and 14F. Not 100% sure though. If we go 14F and 7D, there is a spot open for Heineman as a depth player

Also depends on if Anderson and/or Dvorak is traded. Doubt we trade Armia because he was very effective after his AHL kick in the ass. Gallagher is almost unmovable and we probably like him for vet leadership.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Heineman is the most physically ready. He has scored 22 G in 59 AHL games. Big, strong and has a great shot. He has a golden opportunity.
Agreed..............this kid will get the longest look, and the best chance to join the club.

We are finally in a position no one needs to be rushed. That said, I still think there is a deal out there this summer, for Hughes to address the scoring up front.

Yup, the ones who have more experience playing against men have the highest probability.

* Kapanen has experience against a tight checking SHL with men. He's going to get a real shot at cracking this line-up. If he makes it, I bet you we trade Dvorak.
* Heineman has had way too many injuries but he's age 22 and has good size/skating. He could take Ylonen's spot as depth player.
* Beck might have shown more maturity at a young age but he should not be rag dolled in his first pro season. Let him gain momentum in the AHL with high usage.

Too early to ask this question though. I think there is going to be a few more trades. If no trades it's tight.

Roy / Suzuki / Slaf
Boulet / Evans / Armia

Pezzetta

We are probably going with 8D and 13F vs 7D and 14F. Not 100% sure though. If we go 14F and 7D, there is a spot open for Heineman as a depth player

Also depends on if Anderson and/or Dvorak is traded. Doubt we trade Armia because he was very effective after his AHL kick in the ass. Gallagher is almost unmovable and we probably like him for vet leadership.
Would be nice to see Gally or Andy gone...................highly unikely though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed..............this kid will get the longest look, and the best chance to join the club.

We are finally in a position no one needs to be rushed. That said, I still think there is a deal out there this summer, for Hughes to address the scoring up front.

Would be nice to see Gally or Andy gone...................highly unikely though.

Doubt they move Gallagher because they will use him as vet leadership... even more after Savard is gone.

Anderson is one they probably want to move. Hard to find a good spot for him in our line-up. Hopefully, he is involved in a Laine trade package. If Anderson stays, I doubt he rebounds playing in the bottom 6 on our roster. We tried that last year. One thing I will say is Anderson knows how bad his season was last year so he should come in with more energy

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Roy / Suzuki / Slaf
Boulet / Evans / Armia

Pezzetta
* RHP (on LTIR)

Newhook doesn't belong in the top 6. He's our 3rd C.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Newhook doesn't belong in the top 6. He's our 3rd C.

I don't have Newhook as a sure shot center. He's my winger/center guy who can play center as insurance.

In the future when most of our young forwards are mature and in the NHL, I have Newhook as a play making winger on the 3rd line with either of Beck or Kapanen or Hage.

Newhook is my winger/center wild card.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

One thing is clear- Gally and Anderson should never receive top 6 minutes or PP time. Can't get rid of their contracts but we should not reward them either. Hell I would bury them on the 4th line.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
No way
Unfortunately the 3C is Dvorak for now, but Newhook 100% starts the season on Dach's wing again

End of season last year Dvorak got some 2nd line winger shifts, if you are trying to sell him that's where you play him to boost his number a bit and he's not a bad middle 6 winger still.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
End of season last year Dvorak got some 2nd line winger shifts, if you are trying to sell him that's where you play him to boost his number a bit and he's not a bad middle 6 winger still.
Yep. And the same can be said for Anderson.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I put Beck because we are thin at centre position.

Heineman disapoints me every time I watch him. I was high on him at training camp last year and he sucked. So.... no :)

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
None. I expect Hughes is still working on Laine or McGroarty. Or a demidov buyout.

Heinemen, Farrell and Kapanen are the most likely to get a cup of coffee though due to circumstances or age. Kap cause it's NHL or Europe and Farrell/Heinemen because it's their last year of waiver exemption. I'd put perreault there too but he was just so bad.

Still don't think we sit on our hands with this roster though.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It would be cool to see Xhekaj LTE make it at some point during the season, maybe for a game against the Bruins in Boston. MSL will give both brothers the green light to go out and run over some Bruins. It probably doesn't happen but it's fun to think that it might.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
If Roy comes to camp thinking his spot is secure he'll more then likely get sent down (Much like Justin Barron last year).
Not saying he should be milking it in camp, but who do we have that will take his spot? He was our best player on the 2nd line before he went down. RHP was given chance after chance despite being complete dog shit last year solely because of his brief stint in the top 6 the year prior.

Reactions: Redux91

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
One of the best face off men in the entire league
He will be playing C
And when a team trades for him
It will be because he's C

The 2nd line will not be Dach+Dvorak, it will be Dach+Newhook+ Lucky guy

Reactions: JT3

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Not saying he should be milking it in camp, but who do we have that will take his spot? He was our best player on the 2nd line before he went down. RHP was given chance after chance despite being complete dog shit last year solely because of his brief stint in the top 6 the year prior.
Look it's fairly common for guys to get called up near the end of the year and look good, have all the fans pencilling him in as a lock/core player only for the guy to come to camp not look great and get sent down. Hopefully it doesn't happen but it's a story we've seen time and time again so I just wouldn't automatically assume Roy has a secure spot until we see him at camp.

In terms of 2nd line spot, both Gallagher who went ppg near the end of the year and Anderson could easily be given that spot. In terms of just a generic roster spot causing Roy to be sent down rookies like Heineman, Farrell, Beck, Kapanen, Xhekaj all could potentially displace Roy if he doesn't prove he deserves it more then them. And if MSL is happy with Pezzetta and we are looking at just having someone to sit in the pressbox then we probably just grab some guy from waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad