Prospect Info: Berkly Catton - Forward(Round 1, Pick #8, 2024 Draft)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Reactions: The Marquis

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Catton is a guy who played absurdly high minutes for Spokane, he was their only threat. As a result of that he had to manage his energy on the ice and pick his spots. He wasn't always sharp either, sometimes he was just exhausted. I think that's why he became a divisive prospect, I think folks don't appreciate how much he was tasked with.

Kid has 116 points in 68 games this year in the W. What is he doing this coming season? 2 PPG?

He could do it.

He was playing injured for much of the year and still put up those insane totals. That's a plus. The minus is that he might still have injury issues going forward at only 5'10. He is very thin and can get ragdolled.

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
I don’t know much about hockey, but his numbers jump off the page. Love what he said in that 14 second clip and he got to hang with my all time favorite Hawk, Beastmode.

A pretty great day for that young man.
Happy to have him.

Last edited:
Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

With Beniers and Wright in the fold, is Catton really the one we want playing down low in the D zone as a center?

He can still drive transition play - he is an elite transition player who can gain the zone with ease - from the wing, he'll just have to receive pucks at the wing and skate up the way wingers like Patrick Kane and Artemi Panarin do. Patrick Kane is actually a decent stylistic comp for him.

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
Catton is a guy who played absurdly high minutes for Spokane, he was their only threat. As a result of that he had to manage his energy on the ice and pick his spots. He wasn't always sharp either, sometimes he was just exhausted. I think that's why he became a divisive prospect, I think folks don't appreciate how much he was tasked with.

He could do it.

He was playing injured for much of the year and still put up those insane totals. That's a plus. The minus is that he might still have injury issues going forward at only 5'10. He is very thin and can get ragdolled.
The good thing is he can always add muscle. Just takes a little work and determination.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The good thing is he can always add muscle. Just takes a little work and determination.

I've heard that there is a lot of concern about that. Not that he won't get stronger and add muscle, but his frame is thin. There are NHLers that just can't get much bigger or stronger. Some guys don't have a wide enough build.

I think Catton would have been a top 5 pick if people thought he'd fill out well. Or if he was 5'11. Funny how much that one inch matters to clubs.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I didn't get that either. If he plays C maybe have Wright play W. For now though, its just good to have a forward prospect who is ready to play W or C.

He's still two years away and who cares what you've said two years ago about his position.

Catton himself even talked about playing on the wing.

And if he's a center there also isn't a problem cause you can't have too many centers anyways.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
High skill, high talent, high ceiling player. Elite offensively. Great playmaker too. Dunno if he ends up as a C or a W but he could go either way. Seattle continues to swing for the fences and Catton might be the highest upside player in the organization now, outside of Wright.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad