Speculation: Benning 2.0? Not! Well a Little Maybe?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
How tf can someone think the Lindholm trade ranks as one of the franchises worst ever? That takes an incredible level of dipshititis in critical thinking.

Do we put aside Lindholms strong playoff showing and helping put this organization on the map? How does that weigh nothing in this subjective argument?
Is the extra CAP we have this offseason (from offloading Kuzmenko) to take a run at a player like Guentzel not a part of the equation at all?
We made an offer for Lindholm - if he accepted is it then a good trade? What about the 7M we use in free agency for other players?

All of these variables add to the calculus of defining whether it was a good trade or not.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
It's a bit too early to be hailing the current regime as saviors of the franchise. It's entirely possible that whatever moves they have planned backfire and this year ends up as a one off and they're not in the playoffs next year kind of like the Devils this season. I am worried about their ability to draft as Rutherford and company had a very poor track record in Pittsburgh even though they traded away most of their 1st round picks. In fact, it's probably better they trade the picks for proven players.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
As I stated I like these guys
BUT
There have been/could be some less than profitable results with long term consequences.
Winning has blunted reactions but what if they lost or didn't make the show?

How tf can someone think the Lindholm trade ranks as one of the franchises worst ever? That takes an incredible level of dipshititis in critical thinking.
They trade a 30+ goal scorer under 29yrs old, a first round pick, a right handed defenceman in junior who lead the league in overall scoring for awhile AA prospect, an AHL player/B prospect and 4th round pick.

Who ended up with 12 points in 26 games but good in the playoffs, then walks away for nothing in return.

Now they are desperate for a 30+ goal scorer to play with Pettersson. Enough to sign a guy at 35 for rumoured 9+ million.

12 points and in Allvin's own words "only the second round"

When all those FA's walked after the covid playoffs Elmer was crucified even though it was obvious that some couldn't be signed because they were already 12 mil over the cap.
Didn't he get to the 2nd round too?

But where Elmer was last to the trough this group seem to be willing to set the market.

It's a bit too early to be hailing the current regime as saviors of the franchise. It's entirely possible that whatever moves they have planned backfire and this year ends up as a one off and they're not in the playoffs next year kind of like the Devils this season. I am worried about their ability to draft as Rutherford and company had a very poor track record in Pittsburgh even though they traded away most of their 1st round picks. In fact, it's probably better they trade the picks for proven players.
If the team is winning then moving #25 on isn't as bad.
Sometimes a number means more or less than value.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
There is some truth to this... While current brass has shown a much higher level of professionalism, the team results have absolutely caused many to turn a blind eye to some obvious mistakes or near mistakes.

I can agree with this. Our best move all summer is almost guaranteed going to be Lindholm turning down the 7x7 we offered.

Benning could have been forgiven for everything up until the post bubble run offseason,
Absolutely not true.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I can agree with this. Our best move all summer is almost guaranteed going to be Lindholm turning down the 7x7 we offered.

Absolutely not true.
I think the team makes the playoffs in all of the seasons since if that offseason was handled by an adult.

There is the Green factor tho as mentioned above, where a better roster may have still goofed, and JB does have responsibility for his coaches.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Guardian, re your let post you say we couldn’t re-sign them due to cap. That isn’t a very good excuse considering the guy managing said cap happened to be the same guy we are discussing
Actually all Allvin said was they would not be able to sign them all, but they have also said they don't want to use the LTIR because they couldn't accumulate extra cap space for the TDL.

But if Lindholm and Guentzel are not considered as first priority then they have loads of cap space.

All Elmer said was "we ran out of time"

Maybe my post there was unclear, I was referring to Benning and the covid play downs. That team was 12 mil over the fixed cap in those games so it was going to be impossible to sign them all BUT he could have signed some.

Rutherford/Allvin say "the cap" but PP and CF show they could go to almost 21 mil AFTER sign Hronek.

I don't think signing FA's is the only way to find goal scoring, trades work too. They may have to do what Rutherford has stated before, take a chance on a younger player(s).

With cap space there is the chance for even more trades especially if taking on a bad contract with many assets attached, FA isn't the only source. Look at Edmonton, their cap is so encumbered already they may need to move players for "pucks" or add to move a contract. There will be other teams out there.

What's this about Crosby maybe coming here? The team has the cap space.

Reactions: Reverend Mayhem

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
"winning eclipses some similarly questionable deals"

truer yet more meaningless words never spoken
All words in these forums are essentially meaningless.

The talk of Allvin/Rutherford seem to point towards some big moves they have in the works already.

Allowing Mikheyev to search for a trade is Mik's 12 team trade list couldn't get the job done but it does add leverage to those teams that were lowballing the Canucks thinking their arms were being twisted. It changes the trade dynamics and might open up a new teams.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
kasuga phone whoa.png

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Well...that is an opinion alright...

We are all very happy that you feel comfortable enough with the group that you thought you could safely share this opinion. Best of luck with the rest of your counseling sessions! We are here for you!

Stay strong tiger!

• Haha

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
As I stated I like these guys
BUT
There have been/could be some less than profitable results with long term consequences.
Winning has blunted reactions but what if they lost or didn't make the show?

They trade a 30+ goal scorer under 29yrs old, a first round pick, a right handed defenceman in junior who lead the league in overall scoring for awhile AA prospect, an AHL player/B prospect and 4th round pick.

Who ended up with 12 points in 26 games but good in the playoffs, then walks away for nothing in return.

Now they are desperate for a 30+ goal scorer to play with Pettersson. Enough to sign a guy at 35 for rumoured 9+ million.

12 points and in Allvin's own words "only the second round"

When all those FA's walked after the covid playoffs Elmer was crucified even though it was obvious that some couldn't be signed because they were already 12 mil over the cap.
Didn't he get to the 2nd round too?

But where Elmer was last to the trough this group seem to be willing to set the market.

If the team is winning then moving #25 on isn't as bad.
Sometimes a number means more or less than value.
Totally agree about the Linholm trade....5 players (maybe only 3 who will play in the league, who knows) and what do we have to show for this after July 1st....nothing! We got fleeced by Calgary....not good "general managing"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad