Behind the scenes in the Oilers locker room immediately after losing game 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Hopefully it isn't another 18 years before I see my team drop another SCF Game 7.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
In a way it makes it worse. If they lose in 4, the room is still grim but guys are probably keeping their heads up about it because they knew their chances were near zero after the prior game. But the opportunity to close out a reverse sweep, all the days they spent between games fighting hype and nerves, and then a Game 7 where they had a very real chance to tie and win, is just a different headspace altogether.

For all the shitty losses I’ve seen both IRL and vicariously through my teams, I still can’t imagine what it must be like inside the mind of a player in that moment. Especially sitting there listening to the Cup presentation including the Smythe going to your captain who looks dead inside.
Yeah even though they came back from 3-0, although extremely impressive, they still lost regardless. There is no consolation prize, especially in the Cup finals. You either win the Cup or lose the Cup. Same in 06' against Carolina when they came back 3-1, impressive but still a loss. When you get that far, no matter how you got there it has to be a stiff punch to the gut to be 1 win away and not get the job done. You are probably right though, coming all the way back and getting that belief you can still win when it looked like you had zero chance of winning probably adds an extra hard jab to the gut.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Wow! That brought tears to my eyes! Like I haven’t experienced since I watched the ending of Old Yeller as a kid.
😂
I respect it.

I'm sure you were as happy as I was when I saw this.

tumblr_lmv99hRewa1qff0tw.gif

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
I'm sure you celebrated in 2006 too! And I know I did in 2004 lol

I didn't celebrate in 1994... As a kid was I pulling for the Canucks haha
2006 Oilers team was impossible not to like. Just a badass team man! I was defs cheering for them

Reactions: Coffey

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Do we really need a thread about this?

They had a good run and put up a respectable fight against FLA. One team had to lose.

What's the point of rubbing salt in the wound?

If this was about my team, I wouldn't be happy.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina

They had a good run and put up a respectable fight against FLA. One team had to lose.

^This. This thread could be posted any year about any of the teams that lost the SCF. Of course if you were on the losing end of it, you'd be pretty down. The farther you get in the playoffs, the harder the defeat hits.

In this case, to come this close within a goal after completing 75% of a monumental, historic comeback...of course it's going to hurt!

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
^This. This thread could be posted any year about any of the teams that lost the SCF. Of course if you were on the losing end of it, you'd be pretty down. The farther you get in the playoffs, the harder the defeat hits.

In this case, to come this close within a goal after completing 75% of a monumental, historic comeback...of course it's going to hurt!
Because the Oilers posted this through their media so it blew up. Not that you would get any decent conversation about it on HFBoards.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton

It's mostly so saddo Canucks fans can find some joy::
Well, that's what it looks like when an arrogant team acts as though the cup was theirs to lose, and then gets reminded that other teams actually have a say in the matter. Good to see them get humbled so... and same with that fanbase.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Boy a lot of people come here and shit on or laugh at these guys and it's just sad.

I have mad respect for these guys. They might not have won the cup, but they played in a game 7 for it after coming back 0-3. That is even rarer than winning a cup. They made history, but unfortunately they couldn't finish the job.

Still was an unbelievable run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad