Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Vent about whatever you want.

My rant? Goalie tonight kicked the net off a good 10+ times to get a whistle and prevent his rebounds from being knocked in. Took about ten before a delay of game was called yet he continued to do it. I'd be more mad if we hadn't won.

Briere Up There*

Three 17-20 year olds joined the game tonight and were just awful. One kid always shows up so you know what to expect, but the other two were even worse than him. Slow, no backchecking, gave up on plays, made boneheaded decisions, F them.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
players "Riding the Stick" as part of their goal celebration after they score the goal to put their team up by 17
Wow, I've played a tonne of hockey and have literally never seen that at any level. That's where you gotta take a number and knock some sense into the ****** with some solid contact along the boards, even if it's a no hitting league.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Wow, I've played a tonne of hockey and have literally never seen that at any level. That's where you gotta take a number and knock some sense into the ****** with some solid contact along the boards, even if it's a no hitting league.

This. I've never seen it before either and were certainly wait for a moment if not the last 5 mins.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I'm open in the slot; all the defensemen are busy inspecting their skates. Please pass the puck.

sjmay*

Vent about whatever you want.

My rant? Goalie tonight kicked the net off a good 10+ times to get a whistle and prevent his rebounds from being knocked in. Took about ten before a delay of game was called yet he continued to do it. I'd be more mad if we hadn't won.

LOL solid misunderstanding of the rules I am sure.

A.) You don't get the NHL nets in beer league, it's a whole different system on how the nets are held in place, in beer league, you get the dulled, misaligned pegs that a stiff breeze can knock off.

B.) Net gets knocked off during a "goaltender move" or "goaltender save" will never constitute a delay of game.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
LOL solid misunderstanding of the rules I am sure.

A.) You don't get the NHL nets in beer league, it's a whole different system on how the nets are held in place, in beer league, you get the dulled, misaligned pegs that a stiff breeze can knock off.

B.) Net gets knocked off during a "goaltender move" or "goaltender save" will never constitute a delay of game.

So goalies could kick the net off intentionally any time someone was about to shoot? I'd never get scored on then! :P

Gunnar Stahl 30

...In The World!
Dec 9, 2006
Marty's Better
players thinking they are "a" players when they are barely "c"

i play on two teams, the one i really enjoy and everyone has a good time except this one guy who tries to run the team but im not too upset about all that

the other team....we have guys that are over 30 and play goons, and a couple that try and coach us like hard, pre game speeches and talks about positioning and doing the small things when its ****in beer league and noone dumps and chases, then i have these 2 guys who look and skate exactly alike and are ****in terrible and take 2 minute shifts because they dont skate.

i really cant stand my one team. i only like about 3 guys on the team. its the most ignorant delusional lockerroom ive ever been in. these guys take it so seriously and really think we should play a system or something. they try and coach but they are the dumbest hockey minds ive played with, zero hockey sense. the worst is we've had so many ****ing too many men penalties because these 2 guys that look and skate exactly alike dont know how to handle it when we dont have even lines....plus the goons and the other guys who dont know how to change lines take a **** load of penalties which means guys like me get shorter shifts

****ing ****ernner **** ass

sjmay*

So goalies could kick the net off intentionally any time someone was about to shoot? I'd never get scored on then! :P

LOL nice,

Not sure what part of making a save happens BEFORE THE SHOT COMES, but ok.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
LOL nice,

Not sure what part of making a save happens BEFORE THE SHOT COMES, but ok.
Ok, say every time a shot is coming in from the point. Time it right and you could knock the net off with a goalie 'move' every time and have the goal not count since it was off it's moorings. Is there really no rule about intentionally knocking it off?

sjmay*

Ok, say every time a shot is coming in from the point. Time it right and you could knock the net off with a goalie 'move' every time and have the goal not count since it was off it's moorings. Is there really no rule about intentionally knocking it off?

Intentionally yes, there is the rule.

The question is, how do you judge intent vs incompetent goaltenders.

Does a push off the post to get to the other side form intent?

How about a two pad slide, not that any of the goaltenders do that anymore, but what about that?

How about misjudging the distance between the top of the crease and the goalline while following the puck into the corner,

It's almost impossible to judge intent unless you see the goaltender turn around and physically push the net off...

sjmay*

BTW. LOVE the rink in Santa Rosa, is it still around, Snoopy's World? ;) Can't remember the exact name of it,

It was the sight of some infamous brawls when I was there ;)

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
Fair enough. Yeah, Snoopy's Home Ice is still around. I actually just started working there part time as an ice guard. :yo:

/End thread derailment. :P

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego

actually this is exactly what happened. he would make a kick save but follow through to knock the net off. seeing a net get knocked off 10+ times from the same goaltender on each side of the rink gets old. the rebound pops out and the ref blows the whistle.

sjmay*

actually this is exactly what happened. he would make a kick save but follow through to knock the net off. seeing a net get knocked off 10+ times from the same goaltender on each side of the rink gets old. the rebound pops out and the ref blows the whistle.

What rink? UTC? or La Jolla, up on the hill? or what used to be the Iceoplex, not sure if it still is, only been there once when it first opened....

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
What rink? UTC? or La Jolla, up on the hill? or what used to be the Iceoplex, not sure if it still is, only been there once when it first opened....

Kroc Center. And if I had seen it happen before, I wouldn't question it. It literally was one for the ages.

sjmay*

Kroc Center. And if I had seen it happen before, I wouldn't question it. It literally was one for the ages.

Kroc center? Must be a new one, mainly played at La Jolla when we went down there,

Yea, it happens all the time, any given game, 3-4 times per goalie, minimum and depending on teams and ice, I've seen it 10-15 times, had it it that in a period,

Guys got as pissed as you, and no offense, it was hilarious after each time they begged for a delay of game....

I was surprised they knew the proper penalty to be honest lol

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here

It's an adult beginner league. Everybody learned to play the game together, then we became our own team. The nice thing is that we all bonded, the bad thing is that we're playing against teams formed 2, 3, 4, and 5 years ago.

This last game it was against against the team who started 2 years ago. They went through all of last season losing every game by 10 or so goals. Now we're the low team on the totem pole, and so they took out their frustrations on us. I don't think they were being super malicious in trying to run up the score as they were trying to get other people the opportunity to score who may not have in the past. I guess I can understand wanting to celebrate your first goal, but when the score is 19-2, perhaps you want to temper it a bit...

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
One thing that has been driving me nuts in one of my leagues is there's a guy who's basically taking over the team, setting the lines. What makes it worse is that he keeps putting all the best players on his line with the rest on the other lines. The problem with that is there's a pretty big difference in skill between the two lines and it gets to the point where the other line is lucky to get 3 shots on net all game. To make matters worse, his line hasn't even been able to score that often. Based on the skill that's on that line, they should be scoring 5-6 goals every game but lately they struggle for 2-3. The problem is the other team just looks at the line and puts their better defensive pairing on the ice against them and shut them down every time.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Little complaints:

- forwards never passing back to the D, even though we're wide open...instead they try and pass it through a dozen legs and sticks in the slot and it gets picked off

- defense not picking their head up when they have the puck, don't see you calling for the pass (WIDE OPEN), and then when they're about to pass and two guys have converged on you and you're screaming "NO NO NO", they make the pass and it gets picked off

- the one player on the team who shouldn't be at that level who literally can't pass the puck, catch a pass, skate backwards, etc

- chippy teams...last night we played a bunch of hacks who were literally two hand slashing guys without the puck (one got tossed for slashing a guy IN THE HEAD), shoving after the whistle, taking runs at players, etc...IT'S BEER LEAGUE

All outweighed by the joys of winning and scoring and the camaraderie of the team. But mostly scoring.

ryangib

May 4, 2009
this thread really makes me like my team now. my biggest complaint is all the guys on my team have kids playing mite level or so hockey and i have to hear about it while i'm getting dressed. riding the stick?? i cant believe my eyes.

Dump and Chase

Hand of God
May 6, 2010
players "Riding the Stick" as part of their goal celebration after they score the goal to put their team up by 17

This is nothing that a well placed elbow won't fix.

I have a D man on my team who is often giving out advice to the forwards on how to play better. He is awful. Slow at moving the puck, every time he does it is in your feet. He often circles back into his own end with the puck instead of moving it only to give it away and find himself the only man back.

I want to give him a 2 hander across the ankles. Does this make me a bad person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad