Bedard vs Celebrini vs Hagens vs McKenna

fla

Jun 9, 2024
Bedard
Celebrini
Mckenna
Hagens
I think Celebrini has a lot of potential as an offensive player but he is an amazing all around 2-way player which puts him above the other 2

Reactions: ORRFForever

rubenflamshep

Dec 6, 2023
Toronto
scoutthe.xyz
This is why I'm super excited for next year... McKenna's junior career is just about to be directly comparable to Bedard.

Screenshot 2024-06-10 at 11.08.07 AM.png

• Haha

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
Celebrini's production as an underage freshman in the NCAA is unmatched in the modern era (last 30 years) so underestimate him at your own risk

Bedard/Celebrini Bedard has proven himself as a legit NHL franchise player, but I don't consider him generational and feel that Celebrini is very close to him in ability.

Hagnes- massive potential is there but don't quite see him being in the same tier as Bedard/Celebrini. Next year will tell the true tale of Hagens potential.

McKenna - Had a great rookie year and was fantastic at the U-18 but let's see what the next year or so has in store

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I feel Celebrini is getting overrated by a lot here. He had a great season. No doubt, but so did Fantilli the year before. So did Levshunov and Buium. Yeah, he was younger than all of them, but it’s becoming easier and easier for these draft eligibles to have these seasons.

I think Celebrini is very good, but I don’t see a “best player on a Cup contender” in his game. I don’t see him as a guy who can “run a PP” with his puck game, like all the best players in the NHL can. While I think he’s very good defensively and with his skating, he’s 6’0 (actually measured at 5’11 3/4). He’s very good, but will he ever be a top 5 center in the NHL? I don’t see it.

Sacha BOXviert

GoHawks
Jul 20, 2022
Celebrini is very good but he is not as special as Bedard, Carlsson or Michkov. I like Fantilli's skill but I prefer Celebrini's hockey sense.

Reactions: JotAlan

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Bedard
Hagens
McKenna

Celebrini

A lot of projection here, but knowing what we know today I think its three guys in one tier and Celebrini by himself. I would give Bedard the edge on Hagens right now...and McKenna 3rd only due to being youngest, he could lap 'em both.

Celebrini was amazing as 17-year old in NCAA. But I would temper expectations a bit. He played on a fairly deep team that managed his reps as younger player; was playing in a conference that has largest average rink size in NCAA (I believe only the Big Ten has all NHL size rinks); in a conference that NCAA hockey observers often call top-heavy; and a lot of his production was done on power play.

All will be studs though.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
I find it rather strange that some are questioning Celebrini's offensive upside. His offensive production in the USHL is unmatched by any other 16 year old non NTDP player. If we include the NTDP, only Jack Hughes outperformed him (and on this point we can certainly discuss a top heavy team). He is well ahead of players such as Fantinli, Hagens, Cooley, Savoie, Connor and heck even Austin Mathews!! He entered college as a 17 year old and left it as a 17 year old on route to a Hobey Baker award.....as a friggen 17 year old.

He has been dominant every where he has played.

I love Hagens but he just isn't at Celebrini's level.
I'm intrigued by McKenna but he still has a lot to prove
Bedard is Bedard but he's not that much better than Celebrini

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I find it rather strange that some are questioning Celebrini's offensive upside. His offensive production in the USHL is unmatched by any other 16 year old non NTDP player. If we include the NTDP, only Jack Hughes outperformed him (and on this point we can certainly discuss a top heavy team). He is well ahead of players such as Fantinli, Hagens, Cooley, Savoie, Connor and heck even Austin Mathews!! He entered college as a 17 year old and left it as a 17 year old on route to a Hobey Baker award.....as a friggen 17 year old.

Celebrini has also played on great teams both those years. What if he wasn’t and had to drag a bad team along? I don’t think he has the type of skill and playmaking for that.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
Celebrini has also played on great teams both those years. What if he wasn’t and had to drag a bad team along? I don’t think he has the type of skill and playmaking for that.

I would say he played on good teams. The same can be said of any USNTP player and most top prospects playing NCAA hockey.

He played on a fairly non descript Canadian U-18 team and was among the best players in that tourney....as a 16 year old. He was easily Canada's U-20 best player...as a 17 year old.

I made a point to go and watch him play when he was with the Steel....he was by far the best player on the ice and the dominant player. He played on a much weaker Steel team than what they previously had in the past three or four years, yet he still excelled.

Again, to me the jury is still out on McKenna, and Hagens just isn't at his level.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I would say he played on good teams. The same can be said of any USNTP player and most top prospects playing NCAA hockey.
Steel were first in their conference and second in the league his year with them. BU were one of the highest ranked teams all season and went to the Frozen Four. Unless great is reserved for like the best team in the league, I’d consider those pretty great teams.

USNTDP in their U17 year, which is what we are talking about for Celebrini, are never a good team. The players are all U17 aged players. There are only like 5-10 other players in the whole league that age. They are more talented and all that, but not one of the best teams. They are usually pretty bad as a team by record.

Also, point and accolades only matter so much. There are people on this website and the bird app that will tell you the USHL MVP and Playoff MVP, who is in his U18 year, isn’t a draftable player. I think that’s ridiculous, but the point is that what you see watching games is going to matter too, and I don’t think it’s like a crazy take that Celebrini might have elite point totals in some of these leagues and will have closer to very good point totals in the NHL than elite. Doesn’t mean he’s not going to be very good, but there is a subjective quality to projecting out a skillset to the NHL.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England

I would agree, I find it strange that he seems fourth on a lot of these lists.

His offensive upside is high because of his ability to drive play in transition. I think he’s the best north-south skater to enter the league since McDavid, which is crucial for creating space for teammates on rush chances. An assist he had vs Latvia in the WJC showed this, he back the entire D off and slid a pass into the space he created for Rehkopf to score. Add that into probably the most defensively sound first overall prospect since Matthews and you have a phenomenal prospect.

I don’t think he’s generational, but I think he’s the only one of the 3 that has any chance to surpass Bedard at the NHL level.

Hard to compare him to McKenna given the positional differences (even though McKenna is super fun to watch I still take Celebrini), but I think him vs Hagens is pretty straightforward. Considering they’re both 06s and don’t have that big of an age gap, I was much more impressed by Celebrini when I saw them playing in the same tournament last year

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
Steel were first in their conference and second in the league his year with them. BU were one of the highest ranked teams all season and went to the Frozen Four. Unless great is reserved for like the best team in the league, I’d consider those pretty great teams.

Yes the Steel were one of the best teams in the USHL that year but that roster was one of the weaker ones compared to previous seasons. B.U. was a good team this year, as were B.C. Denver, Michigan, NoDak...well you get the point, and that is most of the best prospects in the NCAA play on the best teams and you cannot fault Celebrini for that.

USNTDP in their U17 year, which is what we are talking about for Celebrini, are never a good team. The players are all U17 aged players. There are only like 5-10 other players in the whole league that age. They are more talented and all that, but not one of the best teams. They are usually pretty bad as a team by record.

There are about a dozen or so non NTDP U-17 players in the league on average. The fact that one led the entire league (best on his team, best in the league) supports my point that he is a special player. The U.S. U-17 that year was about .500 in league play that season, so I wouldn't necessarily call them a bad team per se but I understand what you are saying in that it may be harder for a team consisting of all 16 year old's to rack up points in the USHL but Hagens 17 year old production in the USHL wasn't that much better than what Celebrini accomplished as a 16 year old and Hagens played on a much better team.
Also, point and accolades only matter so much. There are people on this website and the bird app that will tell you the USHL MVP and Playoff MVP, who is in his U18 year, isn’t a draftable player. I think that’s ridiculous, but the point is that what you see watching games is going to matter too, and I don’t think it’s like a crazy take that Celebrini might have elite point totals in some of these leagues and will have closer to very good point totals in the NHL than elite. Doesn’t mean he’s not going to be very good, but there is a subjective quality to projecting out a skillset to the NHL.

Not sure who would consider Swanson as a player not worthy to be drafted. Swanson does have some issues, however, and that is where the questions come in as to whether his skills can translate to the NHL. There are no such questions concerning Celebrini. His skating is elite. His compete level is off the charts, He has a high IQ, drives his line, plays well off the puck, handles transition, sublime puck skills.....he has no weakness. He will be a franchise level player in the NHL that you build Stanley Cup teams around.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
I would agree, I find it strange that he seems fourth on a lot of these lists.

Hard to compare him to McKenna given the positional differences (even though McKenna is super fun to watch I still take Celebrini), but I think him vs Hagens is pretty straightforward. Considering they’re both 06s and don’t have that big of an age gap, I was much more impressed by Celebrini when I saw them playing in the same tournament last year

Agree 100 percent, this is really a two horse race between Bedard and Celebrini. Hagens and McKenna are a tier below.

Reactions: Mathieukferland

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Bedard or Celebrini. Think Celebrini might end up better based on his overall game though those two will be close. Hagens or McKenna not sure but need another year or two to determine so uncertain.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I always cringe when teens who never set foot on NHL ice are called all-around players.

You know what, we'll see. If some of these guys do end up making an NHL roster at Bedard's age, I bet they will have a rough time too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad