Prospect Info: Bedard Topic 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
that breakaway effort by Bedard last night was pathetic. Never imagined it needed to be said about Bedard, but he needs to have a little more confidence in his abilities. Coming in on the goalie and taking some speed off at the top of the circles and then doing all these non-committal half ass little head fakes and stick handles hoping and praying the goalie will bite and bail you out by giving you half an open net to tuck the puck into is not going to be successful. We saw the result, he ended up on top of the goalie and could barely get the puck up to the bottom of the catching glove.

Bedard needs to either pick his spot and rip the puck or commit to a move and do it at speed. Make the goalie react to him, not the other way around.

Weird to have to say this about Bedard, but I would bet that he's already had a few people say this to him since last night. Probably saying it to himself after seeing the replay.

LFG you're Connor Friggen Bedard. The goalies are already soiling themselves just seeing you with the puck coming at them...no need to let the goalie get settled and take control of the situation.
he was so open that was like a penalty shot. slowing down lets you settle the puck and gives you the ability to elevate more. he tried to get the goalie to move and he stood his ground give the goalie credit. penalty shots are for the best players might be 35-40% success. break away probably 25% for the best players. the goalie did not stop it cleanly. it clipped the bottom of his glove so it was probably 1" lower it probably goes in. without making the goalie move figuring he is out slightly at the top of the crease. how much net is open? 10% the top 2 corners but you really have to elevate and that is very hard to do once you get in closer. 5 hole (need him to move to open it) and a small are between glove and pads and a small area on the blocker side were you basically need to aim at the post and hope it hits the inside.

Reactions: LavalPhantom

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
that breakaway effort by Bedard last night was pathetic. Never imagined it needed to be said about Bedard, but he needs to have a little more confidence in his abilities. Coming in on the goalie and taking some speed off at the top of the circles and then doing all these non-committal half ass little head fakes and stick handles hoping and praying the goalie will bite and bail you out by giving you half an open net to tuck the puck into is not going to be successful. We saw the result, he ended up on top of the goalie and could barely get the puck up to the bottom of the catching glove.

Bedard needs to either pick his spot and rip the puck or commit to a move and do it at speed. Make the goalie react to him, not the other way around.

Weird to have to say this about Bedard, but I would bet that he's already had a few people say this to him since last night. Probably saying it to himself after seeing the replay.

LFG you're Connor Friggen Bedard. The goalies are already soiling themselves just seeing you with the puck coming at them...no need to let the goalie get settled and take control of the situation.

A lot of this is dependent on the goalie's style. Many goalies used to hold their glove way up high to take away the top corner glove side, but we're starting to see more goalies keeping the glove lower, closer to the top of the pad level, because as a player gets in tighter, the likelihood of hitting the top corner above the glove shrinks because it requires a much higher angle shot(meaning most in-tight shots trying to go high glove are going over the net anyways, and if someone is good enough to beat you to that top corner with a ridiculously high angle shot, then they deserve the goal. This breakaway is a perfect example. Go back and watch it, and pay attention to the glove hand of Annunen. As Bedard gets closer, you can see Annunen lowering his glove more and more as he tracks the puck.

In this situation Bedard was probably assuming he could try and get a fake shot to shift Annunen's glove higher, thus opening up the great scoring area of the net between a high glove and the pad. Yeah, going bar down is always sexy, but when I'm playing, I'm paying attention to the goalie's glove hand throughout the game, and if he carries that glove higher, I'm firing pucks into that spot pretty religiously when I have a chance. Because of Bedard's release, he probably assumed he could get Annunen to shift his glove up higher, and then fire it into this same spot.

I don't really see anything wrong with what Bedard did on this breakaway. Remember too, that you want to mix things up on breakaways/shootout attempts. Once goalies have a playbook on you, and your tendencies, if you aren't more creative, you're never going to score in those situations, because the goalie always knows what you're going to do. Sometimes you have to try and deke, sometimes you have to shoot, sometimes you have to shoot from out farther, sometimes in tighter, sometimes you need to go forehand, sometimes backhand.

More credit is due Annunen here than criticism of Bedard, IMO. He played that breakaway well. If Bedard had chosen to go high glove just a little earlier, he probably has him beat because he was holding his glove so low. And all of this is happening in a split second, because you know you have some guy trying to chase you down, and you're coming in on the goalie at full speed. Breakaways aren't some guaranteed, easy goal, like many seem to think. They're actually pretty damn hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrfenn92

Dead Meat

Apr 27, 2004
IMG_8600.jpeg

My new favorite Hawk picture ever....

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It’s official. Connor Bedard is the most popular current pro athlete in Chicago with Justin Fields traded. No seriously … there is no Bull, Sox, Cub, Bear, Fire, Red Stars, or Sky more popular. Ayo is a popular Chicago kid but still has a ways to go.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
It’s official. Connor Bedard is the most popular current pro athlete in Chicago with Justin Fields traded. No seriously … there is no Bull, Sox, Cub, Bear, Fire, Red Stars, or Sky more popular. Ayo is a popular Chicago kid but still has a ways to go.
When Williams is drafted in a month he'll probably take the reigns

Reactions: Idionym

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
I know Moore is probably a center going forward but I just have a vision of him flying around creating so much space for Bedard with that speed.

Reactions: Muffinalt

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Kurashev a third wheel in a top six at this point. Kind of like a Barbashev.

Nothing wrong with that. I’d like to go get a Marchessault or Bertuzzi to play the other wing with him and Bedard next year

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Marchessault would be a great fit and he might go for a high AAV low term deal. I'm sure some contender is going to throw big money at him though and it might be his last chance to get a 4-5 year deal. But that would be a really nice get for Davidson.

Bertuzzi I'm less interested in. Open to having my mind changed but I've never really cared for him.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Marchessault would be a great fit and he might go for a high AAV low term deal. I'm sure some contender is going to throw big money at him though and it might be his last chance to get a 4-5 year deal. But that would be a really nice get for Davidson.

Bertuzzi I'm less interested in. Open to having my mind changed but I've never really cared for him.
I’d be willing to give him in the 8 million range for 3 years. Nothing more. Would be reminiscent of Pavelski signing a 3 year deal in Dallas. I think his game will age alright.

I don’t see him getting more term than 3 years unless someone is trying to bring the cap hit down by front loading the contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad