Confirmed with Link: Beck Malenstyn for the 43rd overall pick (2nd rounder)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just a bit from the Sabres' Embedded video, they had something worked out around 43OA for Malenstyn and also were looking at swapping 14 and 17 instead, they had the 43OA deal discrete from the other but Adams asked that it be that instead but MacLellan decided to stay put.

Reactions: Marshall

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Just a bit from the Sabres' Embedded video, they had something worked out around 43OA for Malenstyn and also were looking at swapping 14 and 17 instead, they had the 43OA deal discrete from the other but Adams asked that it be that instead but MacLellan decided to stay put.
And then of course Buffalo drafted a Fin! Haha. We would never do that. Moving up would have perhaps gotten them Adam Jiricek. He had knee surgery. I suspect they were out on him. Still surprised they didn’t trade down.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
And then of course Buffalo drafted a Fin! Haha. We would never do that. Moving up would have perhaps gotten them Adam Jiricek. He had knee surgery. I suspect they were out on him. Still surprised they didn’t trade down.
Mahoney said after the draft they thought they knew who the 1st "14 or 15" picks were going to be, don't think it would have been Jiricek

Reactions: DWGie26

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Are we easier to play against with Beck and others gone, versus the new us and all the additions?

I am talking from a physicality standpoint, of course. I'll die on the hill that our physicality won us our cup. We PUMMELED our feeble soft opponents into forced submission.It was a thing of beauty and predict we'll never see a playoff run with SO many monster hits delivered.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Well, we should *definitely* be harder to play against, wrt ability to score. I’d wager other teams will be on their heals quite a bit more, due to the roster upgrades.

As far as physicality? Assuming Oshie DOES play….. then the only one that was truly meaningful, that is going out, is Beck. Maybe you could argue NAK a little bit, but that’s it. Certainly not Kuz, nor MaxPac, nor Mantha, nor Jensen. None of them.

Of the incoming players, Roy def hits more than Jensen. Like a lot. The 2 new 4th liners are hitters. As is Mangiapane (and even PLD), to an extent more than all outgoing forwards, save Beck.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Well, we should *definitely* be harder to play against, wrt ability to score. I’d wager other teams will be on their heals quite a bit more, due to the roster upgrades.

As far as physicality? Assuming Oshie DOES play….. then the only one that was truly meaningful, that is going out, is Beck. Maybe you could argue NAK a little bit, but that’s it. Certainly not Kuz, nor MaxPac, nor Mantha, nor Jensen. None of them.

Of the incoming players, Roy def hits more than Jensen. Like a lot. The 2 new 4th liners are hitters. As is Mangiapane (and even PLD), to an extent more than all outgoing forwards, save Beck.

Thanks - I think you gotta have a thumper on D otherwise forwards will try and do anything without fear. I have said it a hundred times, I need hitting in the regular season to keep me focused. Again thanks for the feedback I know zilch of the new guys.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Thanks - I think you gotta have a thumper on D otherwise forwards will try and do anything without fear. I have said it a hundred times, I need hitting in the regular season to keep me focused. Again thanks for the feedback I know zilch of the new guys.
I think you will like Roy. Even Chychrun is supposed to have an “edge” to his game. But we will see.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I certainly hope so!

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think you will like Roy. Even Chychrun is supposed to have an “edge” to his game. But we will see.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I certainly hope so!
Some of us ahem unnamed old timers are slow to adapt to the modern day definition of being difficult to play against. I know its all about mobility skating and pace now, but do think nothing stops all 3 dead in their tracks like a blueliner stepping up on some unsuspecting punk at the blueline.

I think the Rangers were difficult to play against because of their passing. Passing seems an underated part of the game that we all take for granted but we looked like an AHL team compared to them. Carbs has got to ramp up our systems passing game which will make us more difficult to play against.

I miss Brooks. Stevens. And many others.
1722456661526.jpeg

Last edited:

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
This team top to bottom just plays better when we play the heavy game. They always seemed to turn it on when we started hitting everything and playing the body to the point that I always was asking myself while watching games why they'd take the foot off the gas and stopped playing the body over the years. I hope we aren't passing up hits in the regular season and amp it up in the playoffs.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
This team top to bottom just plays better when we play the heavy game. They always seemed to turn it on when we started hitting everything and playing the body to the point that I always was asking myself while watching games why they'd take the foot off the gas and stopped playing the body over the years. I hope we aren't passing up hits in the regular season and amp it up in the playoffs.
You have to balance it and the game changes constantly. Definitely different game from when we won the cup (yikes).

It used to be two top lines, a defensive line, and a checking line. then it became the top 9. Now all 12 have to be able to play. But you need to have some edgy players. And someone who can enforce.

Malenstyn is edgy. Duhaime can enforce. It’s no longer Wilson (for good reason). So we got tougher and edgy’ier.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I’m thinking the “heavy game” takes a toll on those dishing it out — over 82 games — be those taking it. They get one game and move on. We get one game and have to then strap on for the next.

It’s not sustainable over 82.

But it IS sustainable over 7, then 14, then 21, then 28!
Exactly. In the playoffs, it matters!

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Also, in 2016-2020 (roughly), everyone had us circled on the calendar. Knew we were tough. Feared Wilson. Easier to fly under the radar now. You don’t have to be that team for 82. Just enough to know you can’t sleep on us.

It’s not usually 1-2 (maybe 3) that wins the cup. It’s the teams that come together, goaltending difference maker (except Col), and depth players. That was 2017-8.

Ad

Ad

Ad