OT: Bears & NFL Talk 99 (also 2024 NFL Draft GDT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Williams will be better. Hopefully the play calling will be as well. They are a dropped ball and an overthrown ball away from a route.
It's so hard to say in week 1, but maybe a Titans team with 3 good receivers, 3 good CBs, and a really strong interior D-line wasn't the easy game people assumed.

I'll need to see the All-22, but it didn't feel like Williams was looking away from open receivers. We'll see.

Reactions: Mrfenn92 and Pez68

Fortyfives

Jul 13, 2011
It's so hard to say in week 1, but maybe a Titans team with 3 good receivers, 3 good CBs, and a really strong interior D-line wasn't the easy game people assumed.

I'll need to see the All-22, but it didn't feel like Williams was looking away from open receivers. We'll see.

It seemed like a combination of everything. Poor rhythm throughout, Caleb was inaccurate on a ton of throws, untimely drops, poor protection at times and a poor run game.

OC has a lot of work to do because we can point to just about anything as the reason it’s not working.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
If it was game one of year three for Caleb I would be more worried. Decision making was pretty good from what I saw. Accuracy will get cleaned up. Escaping with the win is extra nice because our rookie QB doesn't have to wear the loss and all the noise it would bring this week.

Reactions: Pez68 and Romang67

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
It seemed like a combination of everything. Poor rhythm throughout, Caleb was inaccurate on a ton of throws, untimely drops, poor protection at times and a poor run game.

OC has a lot of work to do because we can point to just about anything as the reason it’s not working.
It's his first real NFL game. Anyone expecting him to come out and have a perfect game and 4 TDs was delusional.

Reactions: Giovi

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Center is a huge problem for this team.

But Poles bargain-bin dived for two of them. "Depth".

Their D coordinator is absolutely clowning Waldron

Dennard Wilson was the Eagles' D-backs coach from their SB runner-up season. Their D tanked the next season after he was fired out of Siriani's fear that Wilson would be a disgruntled distraction for being passed over for the D coordinator job vacated by Jonathan Cannon.

Last edited:

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Another lost fumble by Velus Jones. Can this wasted 3rd-pick experiment be over yet?
I have no idea how he’s kept a spot on the roster. He must have compromising photos of Poles

It's his first real NFL game. Anyone expecting him to come out and have a perfect game and 4 TDs was delusional.
Yeah but people also didn’t expect him to have the game he had. He was terrible. Hopefully it’s not a sign of larger things and just a rookie in his first game behind a horrible o line

O line will be a downfall for the bears this entire season. You just saw the lions oline completely dominate ate and exert their will

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Don't care about Fields in the slightest. He is who he is.

Caleb was really bad. It was also his first start. Zero reason to panic.
He's seeing the field, and the open receivers, though. Just missing them. The touch on those deep balls will come, IMO. As will his timing on some of the timing routes. I saw a lot to be happy about with him. It would help if his O line wasn't as porous as a wet piece of toilet paper. I saw the center get pancaked no less than 3 times. He spent more time on his back than he did protecting Williams. They were really damn bad. Just mind blowing that they didn't end up doing like more two RB sets or two TE sets to allow one of those guys to at least chip some guys and give him a little more time back there. It was obvious to anyone with half a brain that the O line needed help protecting him. The run was also working early, and they got away from it too quick.

Last edited:

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Let's take into consideration that the Bears first team offense, who is breaking in a new QB, RB, Two WR's and a TE not to mentioned a new OC, had not taken live game snaps since August 17 against Cincinnati. No live game repetition for 3 weeks. To me, that explains why the offense looked out of sync. Defense has continunity, offense is still working on continuinity.

If the Bears offense has not gotten into gear by w6 at the least, then I will worry. Until then, I will give the offense a chance to work out the kinks.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
He's seeing the field, and the open receivers, though. Just missing them. The touch on those deep balls will come, IMO. As will his timing on some of the timing routes. I saw a lot to be happy about with him. It would help if his O line wasn't as porous as a wet piece of toilet paper. I saw the center get pancaked no less than 3 times. He spent more time on his back than he did protecting Williams. They were really damn bad. Just mind blowing that they didn't end up doing like more two RB sets or two TE sets to allow one of those guys to at least chip some guys and give him a little more time back there. It was obvious to anyone with half a brain that the O line needed help protecting him. The run was also working early, and they got away from it too quick.
This is kinda my take too. He didn't hold on to the ball forever and get sacked, and it didn't seem like he looked away from open receivers. He had Allen on a blitz beater where he recognized the blitz and immediately passed it to Allen who went to the area the blitzer came from... and missed him. Simply put, he looked like a player who understood how to play QB in the NFL, but had a questionable arm. He was just under constant pressure from the pass rush, and really inaccurate. He wasn't an inaccurate passer in college, so that's not really concerning for me.

One thing I found really odd was that Kmet wasn't really involved in the pass game. I felt like this was a game for him to feast on their linebackers, but I barely saw him on the field on passing downs.

Shelton was a problem. Let's see if that continues. This is probably the best interior D-line they'll face until the Commanders (depending on how Allen does for them this year), and arguably the best they'll face all season.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Strong case to be made that the Darrell Taylor has worked out in Bears favor after one game. Two sacks, including a forced fumble. Arguably the MVP this game.

For the consternation about Sweat's not getting the numbers this game, the D-line had 3 sacks, one play that should have been a grounding penalty on Levis, IMO, and a play that should have been a drive ending sack except Levis generously decided to give the ball over to Tyrique instead. That's a strong performance from that group as a whole.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
In other news:

For the people who didn't subject themselves to Panthers football last season, Brown was, IMO, the best player on their team by far. He was also one of three players that Poles reportedly wanted in return for the 1st overall pick in 2023 (Moore, Burns, Brown).

With him out, the Panthers have lost every player on the 2023 team who had more than 2 sacks or more than 5 TFL. Or more than 10 QB hits. Basically, if a Carolina Panther was in the backfield on the defense last season, he is no longer on the team.

Unless their offense figures things out, and fast, they might be worse than last season.
It was absolutely wild that Kmet had less usage than Everett.
I really hope that stops. I haven't seen anything from Everett that makes him look like a good receiving TE in preseason or now in this game, and it's not like he offers anything in the blocking game.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
...Shelton was a problem. Let's see if that continues. This is probably the best interior D-line they'll face until the Commanders (depending on how Allen does for them this year), and arguably the best they'll face all season.
I'm not sure that everyone realizes just how good J Simmons is; two time second team AP and paid like it. From watching the Titans every week, I've seen him wreck many interior O-lines by himself. I knew the addtion of T Sweat meant Bears O-line was going to look like a sieve many times and that running the ball likely wouldn't be successful.

Putting Latham out wide to block was ingenious and probably caught the Bears off guard at a critical time. Kudos to Callahan.

Reactions: Romang67

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
In other news:

For the people who didn't subject themselves to Panthers football last season, Brown was, IMO, the best player on their team by far. He was also one of three players that Poles reportedly wanted in return for the 1st overall pick in 2023 (Moore, Burns, Brown).

With him out, the Panthers have lost every player on the 2023 team who had more than 2 sacks or more than 5 TFL. Or more than 10 QB hits. Basically, if a Carolina Panther was in the backfield on the defense last season, he is no longer on the team.

Unless their offense figures things out, and fast, they might be worse than last season.

That is a big loss. I would be shocked if that Bears second round pick they got from Carolina isn't #33 overall. At worst it's likely in the 33-35 range.

Reactions: Pez68
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad