OT: Bears & NFL Talk 101

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Still wish the Bears will stop handcuffing Caleb Williams and let him play through his mistakes. Stop being conservatives, Bears coaches, let Caleb play.
It's the tension between wanting to compete this year and wanting to develop a QB. Eberflus the defensive head coach is ALL ABOUT not turning the ball over. Where do you turn the ball over? Tight windows and, often, middle of the field. Where do you want a young QB to challenge themselves? Tight windows and the middle of the field.

Best pass of the day was the pass to Kmet that put the ball close to the red zone and immediately led to Swift's TD run, IMO. Either that or the pass to Moore. Both are passes that challenge the defense over the middle of the field. We need to see more of that (like in the last half of the Colts game), even if it leads to an interception every now and then.

The record won't show it because of the DPI, but he had a pass over the middle to Allen that led to the first TD run as well. So yeah, out of 3 TDs, all three were results of passes over the middle.

Last edited:

Fortyfives

Jul 13, 2011
Still wish the Bears will stop handcuffing Caleb Williams and let him play through his mistakes. Stop being conservatives, Bears coaches, let Caleb play.

I’m kind of with you but on the other hand Caleb might get killed behind this line if they do that.

GIADF

Aug 17, 2024
Lot of people complaining about the Taylor pick last week looking pretty dumb this morning

Huge improvement from him, which I was never really worried about. I think he just needed to get comfortable with now being in the NFL which led to some early struggles. It's not like punters often in their prime just drop off a cliff.

More week over week improvements from CW as well. Was nice to see him just take what the defense was giving him, especially against the blitz. Keep doing that and it will be a big help for the running game and the big plays will come eventually.

Reactions: Pez68 and Romang67

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
For all the handwringing about Williams holding on to the ball for too long before the draft, he's smack dab in the middle of the league in Time-to-Throw.

Sometimes that has been out of necessity. On the Moore TD, the two tackles were pushed in to allow him a pocket that was about 3 feet wide in 2 seconds flat.

More week over week improvements from CW as well. Was nice to see him just take what the defense was giving him, especially against the blitz. Keep doing that and it will be a big help for the running game and the big plays will come eventually.
Agreed. The only blitz that stood out to me as a potential QB mistake was the one where he got sacked by like 3 players within 2 seconds from the snap. I THINK Odunze was hot on that play, and he looked over to Allen who wasn't ready to receive a pass until Williams was already going down. Even with that play:

Loved this play so much:

No, it's not super fancy looking, but it's layering a ball over a 6'3 linebacker to where only Kmet can reach it for an about 20 yard gain.

Last edited:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The bears ability to have the worst center in football for a decade has been amazing to watch
Shelton used to be a serviceable, if not particularly impressive, center for the Rams. What the hell happened? Do they go back to Bates when he returns off of IR?

Now, for full transparency, I was clamoring for Cushenberry, Williams, and (as most everyone) someone like Powers-Johnson in the draft. They all also suck so far this year.

But yeah, the O-line is STRUGGLING. And it's not just the interior.

This is Jones and Wright getting pushed back by (an admittedly really impressive) rookie edge rusher and a situational pass rusher. And getting pushed back FAST. It's 2 seconds from Williams' receiving the snap to starting the windup.

Big issue is that, with the struggles Braxton Jones has had so far this year, the line could be looking at needing 4 new pieces next season. Not really something you fix quickly. You probably put some money and draft picks into the interior, and hope that some combination of Wright, Jones, and Amegadjie figure something out. I think Davis is all but cut already, and with his injury and unimpressive play, I don't think they re-sign Jenkins.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Shelton used to be a serviceable, if not particularly impressive, center for the Rams. What the hell happened? Do they go back to Bates when he returns off of IR?

Now, for full transparency, I was clamoring for Cushenberry, Williams, and (as most everyone) someone like Powers-Johnson in the draft. They all also suck so far this year.

But yeah, the O-line is STRUGGLING. And it's not just the interior.

This is Jones and Wright getting pushed back by (an admittedly really impressive) rookie edge rusher and a situational pass rusher. And getting pushed back FAST. It's 2 seconds from Williams' receiving the snap to starting the windup.

Big issue is that, with the struggles Braxton Jones has had so far this year, the line could be looking at needing 4 new pieces next season. Not really something you fix quickly. You probably put some money and draft picks into the interior, and hope that some combination of Wright, Jones, and Amegadjie figure something out. I think Davis is all but cut already, and with his injury and unimpressive play, I don't think they re-sign Jenkins.
This play was absolutely ridiculous. Not only did he have no space because the pocket had completely collapsed, but that throw had to be PERFECT. Super impressive.

Reactions: Romang67 and Giovi

GIADF

Aug 17, 2024
Panthers defense only has 5 sacks this season, only Atlanta has less than that at 4. Shaq Thompson also tore his achilles yesterday and will miss the game next week vs the Bears. Another game for the offensive to continue to build and hopefully get into a groove.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Shout to Tory Taylor. He had ONE hell of a game. If he has this kind of game consistency, then he will be a weapon and one I will be happy that the Bears used a 4th on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad