Newsday: Battling to keep job with Islanders, Casey Cizikas is Impressing

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...landers-casey-cizikas-is-impressing-1.9410251

"Casey Cizikas had one goal coming into Islanders training camp: Set no goals.

"If I just leave it all out there every time I get a chance, that's all I was looking for," said Cizikas, who did just that on Wednesday in the Isles' lone preseason game at Nassau Coliseum. Cizikas and linemates Matt Martin and Cal Clutterbuck were the best Islanders throughout the game, with Cizikas scoring a shorthanded goal in a 4-2 loss to the Hurricanes...."

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
At the bottom of the article, Staple says Pokka would return to Finland if he didn't make the Islanders. That's interesting considering a few weeks ago we heard he was committed to North America.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
At the bottom of the article, Staple says Pokka would return to Finland if he didn't make the Islanders. That's interesting considering a few weeks ago we heard he was committed to North America.

I'd be kind of upset if he does, considering he has to adjust his game to the NA ice.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
CC obviously didn't play well while dealing with his broken jaw, last year. gets a pass from me.

if he can bring it like he did in the PO's, he will be moving up into the top 9.

startainfection*

CC obviously didn't play well while dealing with his broken jaw, last year. gets a pass from me.

if he can bring it like he did in the PO's, he will be moving up into the top 9.

i think he helps this team as a 4th line center more than he would in the top 9, the isles can roll 4 lines with him, he can handle alot more ice time than i think most 4th line centers can handle

i would love to see all of our lines with way more equal ice time and that is only possible because cizikas is as good as he is, I'm not saying each line should only get 15 minutes of ice time but i think that it would only help the team if the top line got about 17 minutes, the 2 middle lines got about 15 and the 4th line got about 13, this team is built so all lines can score and that is more likely when they are more rested everyone can skate faster and forecheck harder, after all that is what got us to the playoffs 2 years ago, we were the best fore checking team in the league and this upcoming season we will be even better

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Here is the thing. He is battling for his job, something that this organization hasn't had in awhile. When new players are brought in, it keeps guys pushing to keep their jobs and their play improves. Competition breeds competition and with competition every one gets better. Lets hope a competitive camp translates to more wins and a better team.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

I've always looked at him as a poor man's Ryan Callahan. He has a lot more offensive skill than most give him credit for and it would show if he were played on a different line. As it has played out, he's been Centering two of the most offensively challenged players we have. I'm not sure where he could slot differently on this team, but if Clutterbuck supplants CMac on the 4th line, perhaps they could generate some more chances.

startainfection*

I've always looked at him as a poor man's Ryan Callahan. He has a lot more offensive skill than most give him credit for and it would show if he were played on a different line. As it has played out, he's been Centering two of the most offensively challenged players we have. I'm not sure where he could slot differently on this team, but if Clutterbuck supplants CMac on the 4th line, perhaps they could generate some more chances.

I think of him as a young mike peca-lite

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad