Low Effort GDT Battle of Ontario: Toronto (away) vs. Ottawa (home), 7 p.m. EDT, (TSN 5, TSN 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Better than any of the options we currently have for the third pair. By far.

2 Million for an every day, competent, puck moving, third pairing d-man that had above average defensive metrics on this team last year is "too much"

But 1.1 Million for a 7th D that should play like... 30 games is more than fine.

because 6'1" that blocks shots vs 5'10" that doesn't...

Reactions: Xspyrit

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
hard to take anything away from the defense when the leafs played a bare bones roster

I remember the sens killing the preseason last year

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Better than any of the options we currently have for the third pair. By far.
Better than Kleven? In a shut down PK role? Lol na.

2 Million for an every day, competent, puck moving, third pairing d-man that had above average defensive metrics on this team last year is "too much"

But 1.1 Million for a 7th D that should play like... 30 games is more than fine.

because 6'1" that blocks shots vs 5'10" that doesn't...
No one is saying Hamonic is a good investment either. However if they qualified Brannstrom then they are over the cap and he would be the #4 ld.

Addison will bring the same game/role but plays rd. At 800k and potentially on a 2 way.

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
Love what they've done with center ice this year. First time we've seen the circle completely filled without any negative space I think?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Ok, as others said Hamonix is not winning a Norris but he’ll he can actually skate and pivot. And he has a bit of an edge tonight. Completely serviceable this year.

So far I would say JBD has the inside line on the Top 6. He looked composed and steady.

Brady and Claude were excellent and showed little rust. Brady needs conditioning. Tim for better every period, but still quite a bit of rust to work off.

Ostapchuck got better as he played more, as did most of them.

Jensen looked stiff and rusty, but loosened up nicely as the game went on and thank goodness for that. Jake Sanderson was amazing.

The PowerPlay was moving around pretty good and they had some good scoring chances. Tyler Boucher is a guy that just needs to play because he’s got the size and the edge to play in the NHL.

Unbelievable, dirty play by Holberg. Just no need for that in the preseason and I’m glad somebody did something even though it wasn’t enough but hell last year nobody would’ve done anything so there’s progress.

Best part of the night? They finally put two cops on the exit of the arena on the main stretch stopping all the walkers who are illegally parked in the auto mall. Looks like we are actually going to be able to get out of the arena this year! Thank God, somebody put their brain to it

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
My rankings of players pushing for a 4th line role outside of Cousins:

1. Jenik
2. Reinhart
3. Ostapchuk
4. Gaudette
5. Kulemin
6. Crookshank

Gregor has a 1-way contract, but he didn't look all that great in game 1 of the pre-season.
Hoping Crookshank shows better in the next game.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
- Tkachuk's passing abilty is very under-rated, when he sets up on the goal line he has great vision & always seems to end up with a shot on net ir goal.

- Stutzle should be returned to LW he would get more shots on net & more goals with his shot, he spends too much time being reckless with the puck at centre.

-Jensen is going to be a good steady top 4 RD

- Forsberg let in a stinker but settled down afterwards & was solid

- Giroux & Tkachuk look really good together, Stutzle has to catch up.

- that Couins - Greig - Perron line looked really good before Greig left, this would be an excellent 3rd line with a little bit of everything including sandpaper

= Sanderson is next level good & he's just starting his 2nd yr

- JBD & Hamonic were both solid on defence, I imagine they will share that 3rd pairing RD spot. I expect Ottawa's defence to be much better with the added jam on D

- tonights game was exactly what they needed to be, they hit a lot, won a number of board battles & puck fights & played like a playoff team needs to play. They still need to stop giving the puck away & reduce their shots against.

- Tyler Boucher will look better at the NHL level than he has before because he does the things they need a bottom six player to do & he has an NHL shot. He is very good at separating the puck from the player.

- after a tough night where he was having some bad puck luck how about Ostapchuk stealing a puck & going in on net for the winning goal. Two games against the Leafs & two of our future good young players Yakemchuk & Ostapchuk win the games for us.

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Jensen looked like it was his first pre-season game tonight. You can see he's a good skater and can manage the puck but he made some bad outlet passes to Toronto players. He got handled in the Dzone too a few times. He'll get better when he shakes off the rust and plays with a partner that can carry the play, which he will.

I thought the first line skated well and had good zone entries but they played on the perimeter a lot. Too much compared to usual. Stutzle was passive but played with more speed as the game went on. They were good but I'd like to see more from in tight.

Cousins played a good game, I liked his game, he will be an upgrade on whoever was slotted to take a spot on the 4th line. Perron is slow, I'm a bit worried about him because this team wants to play fast. I don't know much he'll help this team 5 on 5.

Reinhardt played fast and made an impact, just like the last game. He looks like a prototype 4th line guy that understands his role.

The player I was most impressed with was JBD. I thought he looked great tonight. 3rd pair spot is his to lose. Steady, quiet, good short passes. It was almost a perfect game for him.

Sanderson is the best player on this team by a mile. Never takes a shift off. Always in good position. Always makes the right play. No one comes close to him on this roster.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I thought Hammer and JBD both looked pretty good tonight. I'm not worried about our bottom pairing as much, if Kleven can be what we hope he is. He's the bigger wildcard imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad