Olympics: Basketball: Men's tournament

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That was a damn good tournament. The best team and clear favourites won but I like that they actually had to work for it at the end. It shows how competitive and skilled the world is nowadays.

Steph was incredible in the final two games and put on a show today. LeBron was great all tournament long.

Joker was the best player in the Olympics. Clearly the best player in the world.

Wemby had his moments and defensively he showed how special he's going to be. Left a lot to be desired at the offensive end but I bet this is one of the last times I'll be saying that about him. Should be good experience for him.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
It's highly unlikely either leaves their team...but LeBron is the one who switched teams 3 times. There is precedent.
If Serbia won it would’ve made for some fun memes about noted ring chasers Lebron and KD “taking their talents to Belgrade” and joining the Serbian team for 2028

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
That was a damn good tournament. The best team and clear favourites won but I like that they actually had to work for it at the end. It shows how competitive and skilled the world is nowadays.

Steph was incredible in the final two games and put on a show today. LeBron was great all tournament long.

Joker was the best player in the Olympics. Clearly the best player in the world.

Wemby had his moments and defensively he showed how special he's going to be. Left a lot to be desired at the offensive end but I bet this is one of the last times I'll be saying that about him. Should be good experience for him.
He takes too many 3's. The Steph effect. I think there is a good chance he is the best played in the world by 2028. France desperately needs better guards.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Lebron winning MVP is a travesty IMO. He was at best the 3rd best player of this tournament. Curry and Jokic were better.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He takes too many 3's. The Steph effect. I think there is a good chance he is the best played in the world by 2028. France desperately needs better guards.

Yeah, for sure. He doesn't exactly have the muscle to bang down low, especially with the FIBA physical play. Nor does he have the guards to get him the ball in the right spots. So he just kept launching threes from all kinds of ranges.

Lebron winning MVP is a travesty IMO. He was at best the 3rd best player of this tournament. Curry and Jokic were better.

Steph wasn't even close to being as good as LeBron. He had two good games, they just happened to be the two biggest games.

Joker was better for sure and deserved it but I think it was always going to be someone from the winning team. Honestly, probably was always going to be LeBron regardless.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I'm much more a Steph fan than a LeBron fan but I would disagree. Steph really didn't do much until the last two games (when they really needed him). LeBron has been great the entire tournament. He was doing everything; rebounding, blocking shots, making great passes. I honestly didn't watch Serbia except for the game against the US, and Joker is arguably the best player in the world right now, but I think LeBron is fully deserving.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Wemby got to smell the fumes. He got to be around greatness for the first time, even if it was the other side.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Yeah, for sure. He doesn't exactly have the muscle to bang down low, especially with the FIBA physical play. Nor does he have the guards to get him the ball in the right spots. So he just kept launching threes from all kinds of ranges.
Yeah. He's going to be great but teams will let him hang outside and shoot threes all day if he wants to. That won't win games.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think it's super bogus that the coaches don't get medals and I'm not a Kerr fan at all. But still bogus.

Kerr deserves one just for handing out the participation trophies today and placating friends and family. Got a certain someone out there multiple times today, even though he was once again stinking up the joint. I won't mention any names.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Booker is the player this tournament who I didnt expect to play so well. He was one of the players they closed with both semis and the finals and he just does so many little things correctly. He defended excellently and rebounded well.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm much more a Steph fan than a LeBron fan but I would disagree. Steph really didn't do much until the last two games (when they really needed him). LeBron has been great the entire tournament. He was doing everything; rebounding, blocking shots, making great passes. I honestly didn't watch Serbia except for the game against the US, and Joker is arguably the best player in the world right now, but I think LeBron is fully deserving.
Steph got them the winning title. Without him they're out in the semis.
Think without LeBron they lose before the semis? Nope.
That's what MVP is IMO.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
I think it's super bogus that the coaches don't get medals and I'm not a Kerr fan at all. But still bogus.
You’re right that is kinda weird. I guess I get it though, there’s something to be said for restricting it to only the athletes in what is ultimately a celebration of athletic achievement.

On the other end of the spectrum is the NHL, where you have part owners who’ve never laced up skates with their names on the trophy, and radio commentators with championship rings.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
That's what MVP is IMO.
Well, I don’t know what the criteria is. Steph was certainly the hero in the gold medal game and if he had gotten it I don’t think anyone would have complained. MVP is always a weird award, in all sports.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That's what MVP is IMO.
I think LeBron's triple double factored into it. As I said, there's only been 5 in Olympic history and he's got two of them, the latter in the semifinal.

Tuoppi

Sep 9, 2016
Pori
Should be an interesting tournament in LA. France is only getting better. Many of these American players are not there anymore but they are always gonna be stacked. And then there are all the other countries aswell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad