Olympics: Basketball: Men's tournament

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
To be fair, this is their first Olympics since 2000 I believe. Canadian NBA talent constantly refused to suit up in the past, skipping many FIBA tournaments and Olympic qualifiers... the program has only become respectable the last few years, and even then guys like Wiggins or Edey weren't available (not that they move the needle THAT much but you never know).

Hopefully, in '28 they will be a more cohesive group with a real shot at medaling.
That's not really true. Fox, Maglore, and Wiggins are the only ones who come to mind and that was over 20 years.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
That's not really true. Fox, Maglore, and Wiggins are the only ones who come to mind and that was over 20 years.

This was from the World Cup from a few years ago, where only Cory Joseph and Khem Birch played.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Always disappointing watching Canada in international basketball. It's not at all a surprise that Canada would lose that game. The disjointed, low effort display is a classic for Canada in basketball. The refs were bad, as to be expected, but they weren't really a factor in the result. Canada needs better coaching but realistically just for the talent available to continue improving.

I hope that USA decimates the rest of the field.

Reactions: NyQuil

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

This was from the World Cup from a few years ago, where only Cory Joseph and Khem Birch played.

I mean Nash also once passed on playing for Team Canada because he was upset Jay Triano got fired. Not exactly going all out for your country when you choose not to play because it's a different coach.

I think players like Wiggins and Sharpe could have helped this Canadian team (made no sense to me why Sharpe was basically a select team player). Alas, 4 more years to wait.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
This was Jamal Murray's stats:

1723034079815.png

Attachments

• 1723033999117.png
    1723033999117.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 1

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
SGA, Murray, Wiggins, Powell, Thompson, Brooks, Boucher, Lyles, etc. Barrett didn't play either but he was apparently rehabbing his ankle.
I wonder how many would’ve went if they came together and decided they had a better chance to win if they all went, not unlike the US.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Need to do more than clog the middle, especially against Wemby. There’s a reason the Blazers drafted Donovan Clingan instead of Edey.
But Wemby was a non factor in that game. What Canada lacked was a deterrent in the middle. Canada got abused down low. Edey would have been great to clog up the middle. Brooks did as well as any undersized player could do with the exception of maybe Rodman.

Reactions: jj cale

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I read that Murray was being asked to play off the ball. If what Geroge Karl was saying was true maybe Murray was sulking. Other than a sudden death/illness in his family I can't see how he wasn't more alive in this tournament. His body language was just so depressing to watch.

Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad