Olympics: Basketball: Men's tournament

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Really disappointing outcome after a great round robin. Homedcooked reffing was a joke as well, but Canada just didn't really show up. No excuse for getting cooked by two EuroLeague dudes as well.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I definitely think France benefitted from home officiating in this game. They knew they could be ultra aggressive and draw foul after foul with the home crowd backing them.

32 of 82 points coming off of free throws is nuts.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I definitely think France benefitted from home officiating in this game. They knew they could be ultra aggressive and draw foul after foul with the home crowd backing them.

32 of 82 points coming off of free throws is nuts.

Part of that is adjusting to the game.

Canada took way too long to do that.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Never thought we'd beat Canada.
We played as well as we could and much better than the previous games and Canada probably had their worst performance.
Germany slapped us in the group stage.

Reactions: NyQuil

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It wasn't even Murrays game that bothered me so much heading into these games, concerning as it was.........it was his attitude.

Watched an interview with him before the games and it was like he didn't even want to be there, like he didn't even care, you would think he would be excited at this opportunity but the whole thing seemed to be just something he had to do not wanted to do.

Spoke volumes IMO

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It wasn't even Murrays game that bothered me so much heading into these games, concerning as it was.........it was his attitude.

Watched an interview with him before the games and it was like he didn't even want to be there, like he didn't even care, you would think he would be excited at this opportunity but the whole thing seemed to be just something he had to do not wanted to do.

Spoke volumes IMO

Again it looked like a team still playing regular season ball against a team that was ready for the elimination games.

Part of that is on the coach, I hate to say.

Reactions: jj cale

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Officiating was awful, but predictable home cooking after what we saw France get in round robin.

Doesn’t really matter though. Brooks was a zero on both ends and so was Murray. That was the difference.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
They looked good in the group stage if you had watched those games, having played in the toughest group.
Still didn't look as dominate as one would expect when you have good NBA players on your team. Guess I just expected more from them.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I don’t know why people are surprised by this.

It’s the same mentality as the World Championships of hockey. It’s an international game and there’s talent everywhere.
Yes and no. Hockey has a lot more variance and components of luck and goaltending alone can steal you a game (look at the Vox study on basketball vs hockey), whereas basketball the more skilled team will win most of the time. Yes, FIBA-style rules and officiating changes things a bit, but the NBA is such a small and elite pool of talent, and Canada had a very very strong roster. Sure, random guys can get hot and it's not particularly outrageous that this happened, but don't think it's unreasonable to say that it's still extremely disappointing and unexpected.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yes and no. Hockey has a lot more variance and components of luck and goaltending alone can steal you a game (look at the Vox study on basketball vs hockey), whereas basketball the more skilled team will win most of the time. Yes, FIBA-style rules and officiating changes things a bit, but the NBA is such a small and elite pool of talent, and Canada had a very very strong roster. Sure, random guys can get hot and it's not particularly outrageous that this happened, but don't think it's unreasonable to say that it's still extremely disappointing and unexpected.

It’s definitely an upset, no arguments here.

The knock against Canada on paper was lack of height and I think France scouted well and took advantage of that early.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Spoke volumes IMO
The whole tournament he was like that. I guess his NBA championship is all that matters to him. The Olympics probably disrupted his vacation plans.

Reactions: jj cale

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hard to adjust those when you’re not big enough under the basket. Too many second chance opportunities for France.

Well, we’d get the rebound and then either turn it over right away or throw it out of bounds.

The whole tournament he was like that. I guess his NBA championship is all that matters to him. The Olympics probably disrupted his vacation plans.

If he’s still hurt or recovering, he shouldn’t be playing.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
1722968047676.png

• Haha
Reactions: John Price

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Still didn't look as dominate as one would expect when you have good NBA players on your team. Guess I just expected more from them.
To be fair, this is their first Olympics since 2000 I believe. Canadian NBA talent constantly refused to suit up in the past, skipping many FIBA tournaments and Olympic qualifiers... the program has only become respectable the last few years, and even then guys like Wiggins or Edey weren't available (not that they move the needle THAT much but you never know).

Hopefully, in '28 they will be a more cohesive group with a real shot at medaling.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It’s definitely an upset, no arguments here.

The knock against Canada on paper was lack of height and I think France scouted well and took advantage of that early.
Don't disagree with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad