Olympics: Basketball: Men's tournament

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I know some people are trying to make it seem like the US are vulnerable but I just don't see how they lose the Gold Medal here. Just way too much talent.
The US lost to France in the last Olympics. They will have to play them in France.

Embiid gets booed everytime he touches the ball. I guess the French thought that he would play for them?

Reminds me of Nashville and Suter.
Hang a banner about that!

Edit: Serbian player (Micic #23) with his second body check at mid court, this time on LeBron. That wasn't even called a foul. LeBron probably thought it was a fly.

US 110 - 84, hitting that 26 point average.
I think that they wore Serbia down by playing 10 guys.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I know some people are trying to make it seem like the US are vulnerable but I just don't see how they lose the Gold Medal here. Just way too much talent.
Team defense and shooting to match the US. Plus of course enough talent. Australia, France, Canada, Germany I think are the ones who can give them trouble.

The US lost to France in the last Olympics. They will have to play them in France.

Embiid gets booed everytime he touches the ball. I guess the French thought that he would play for them?

Edit: Serbian player (Micic #23) with his second body check at mid court, this time on LeBron. That wasn't even called a foul. LeBron probably thought it was a fly.

He got French citizenship with the intent to represent them internationally. Then he got US citizenship and changed his mind.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Team defense and shooting to match the US. Plus of course enough talent. Australia, France, Canada, Germany I think are the ones who can give them trouble.

He got French citizenship with the intent to represent them internationally. Then he got US citizenship and changed his mind.
He is from Cameroon, IIRC correctly.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

I really can't see Canada giving them much pause at all.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Yes, but got French citizenship first, then US.
I don't feel bad about it.

If I did, I would get upset at the person who won a Gold Medal for swimming and was coached at ASU and not in a foreign country.

Or a bunch of Jamaican Olympians in track who went to LSU in the past. That is just how the world works in recent decades.

When daughter went to college, I thought that she might continue her tennis career. All 10 players on the team were foreigners. That school was in upstate NY and Division 2.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
He was originally expected to go to Europe (presumably France since he spoke French) to play professional volleyball, not basketball. Then he attended a basketball camp in Africa and was “discovered” and brought to the US. France gave him citizenship in 2022 but he's never lived there. He's lived in the US since he was 16.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale and Jussi

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

I thought it was because he turned his back on Cameroon for an easy shot at gold.

I can't stand the American broadcast with Wade. His only role is to emphasize how great Lebron is. And wholly commercials batman. For once the CBC is the place to be.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I don't feel bad about it.

If I did, I would get upset at the person who won a Gold Medal for swimming and was coached at ASU and not in a foreign country.

Or a bunch of Jamaican Olympians in track who went to LSU in the past. That is just how the world works in recent decades.

When daughter went to college, I thought that she might continue her tennis career. All 10 players on the team were foreigners. That school was in upstate NY and Division 2.
This is not the same thing. They didn't come to the US with hopes of play for the Olympic team, they came for school and to be trained for sport.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
This is not the same thing. They didn't come to the US with hopes of play for the Olympic team, they came for school and to be trained for sport.
Are you suggesting that Embiid came to the US with hopes of playing for the US Olympic team? Because that's certainly not true- he had basically never played basketball before he came here.

In all honesty, the US team doesn't need him and it would have been cool if he had represented Cameroon. That said, he should be allowed to make his own decisions, nobody should tell him (or anybody) what to do in a situation like this.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's going to be really difficult to even upset USA with Durant there. No one has ever been able to get easier points in international basketball than Durant. Not really shocking since he's one of the best players ever and the international game suits his strengths.

I thought that Canada's first game was solid, team looked reasonably cohesive and they didn't need to ride the key players too hard. Tough group but I could see the team winning each group game.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah people boo Embiid for representing the US intead of Cameroon, not about France. Though he did comment on wanting to represent France.

Anyway, France won't beat the US this time. Theit team is limited IMO. They have the twin towers but few dangerous outside shooters. In a few years, we'll be up there.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Are you suggesting that Embiid came to the US with hopes of playing for the US Olympic team? Because that's certainly not true- he had basically never played basketball before he came here.

In all honesty, the US team doesn't need him and it would have been cool if he had represented Cameroon. That said, he should be allowed to make his own decisions, nobody should tell him (or anybody) what to do in a situation like this.
I'm just replying to you comment about foreign students stealing coaching to enrich their countries.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I'm just replying to you comment about foreign students stealing coaching to enrich their countries.
I made no such comment. And my point still stands. If you think Embiid came to the US so that he could play on the US Olympic team you’re clearly mistaken. If that wasn’t your point, then my mistake.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I made no such comment. And my point still stands. If you think Embiid came to the US so that he could play on the US Olympic team you’re clearly mistaken. If that wasn’t your point, then my mistake.
I never said he came to the US to play for the USA. I said he should have helped his home country qualify. Really though I blame Grant Hill the most.

I never said he came to the US to play for the USA. I said he should have helped his home country qualify. Really though I blame Grant Hill the most.
I got mixed up on who was saying what

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

I got mixed up on who was saying what
You certainly did.

Feel free to quote me directly, rather than making up a bunch of CRAP that I did not say, nor imply, like:

"Stealing coaching to enrich their countries"

You ever do that again, and I will report you to the Mods.

Reactions: Jussi

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
You certainly did.

Feel free to quote me directly, rather than making up a bunch of CRAP that I did not say, nor imply, like:

"Stealing coaching to enrich their countries"

You ever do that again, and I will report you to the Mods.
Ha ha ha, what are you 10 years old?

I paraphrased what you wrote. Relax.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad