News: Barry Trotz working to extend Juuse Saros and sees no reason why he won't get it done

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Teams with potentially two quality goalies seem to take their time, with fans often expecting one of the goalies to be moved years earlier. Nashville will be hesitant to move Saros because Askarov is unproven at the NHL level, and they're hesitant to move Askarov because a top top goalie in his mid 20s on an ELC or RFA contract is very valuable.

Bruins held onto both Ulmark and Swayman last year. LA had Quick and a top goalie prospect in Bernier, and kept Bernier around in the AHL/NHL for like ~4-5 years. Canucks did the same with Luongo/Schneider, Ottawa did it with Anderson/Lehner, etc.

It should be noted the only team that won a cup of those mentioned, is the one that actually traded one of their goalies (LA).

They traded Bernier for what eventually became Marian Gaborik. He then led the team is goal scored in their 2014 Stanley Cup win.

Boston also would have had a better chance against Florida this year, had they had an active skater instead of Ullmark warming the bench.

Duos are good, but asset management is more important IMO. If they can get a haul for Saros, I think that benefits them most. All depends on the offers of course.

Reactions: ClydeLee

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It's pretty clear that Trotz isn't getting offers he thinks are good enough to improve them, no? He's stated his ask before and it's just not being met. They're a better team by keeping them both than trading for subpar returns

No they aren’t, they are just stubborn and fixated on being a max 1st round exit team

Roman Josi is 34y, RoR 33y, Forsberg 30y

What 1C, 1D, superstar W trio are they building around? I don’t see any answers to that and trading either Askarov or Saros could go along way helping them build a future contender

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
No they aren’t, they are just stubborn and fixated on being a max 1st round exit team

What 1C, 1D, superstar W trio are they building around? I don’t see any answers to that and trading either Askarov or Saros could go along way helping them build a future contender
A #10 pick or 2nd line forward isn't going to help them build a future contender any more than having strong goaltending for a decade will either, though.

I don't see any teams lining up to pay a 1C/superstar type of asset for those goalies. Not in the current circumstances anyway when Saros' contract is coming up and Askarov hasn't come close to establishing his credentials yet. So there is no way trading either of them gets the team any closer to becoming a future contender than just holding onto them and waiting to see if any of the parameters change, while in the meantime at least they have the goaltending position nicely taken care of.

Reactions: Soundgarden

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

I'd personally argue we don't have a 1C now and honestly Novak should probably be on wing and not a 2C. RoR had a good season but he got 40% of his production on the powerplay. Low end 1C by total production... middling 2C by even strength production.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
A #10 pick or 2nd line forward isn't going to help them build a future contender any more than having strong goaltending for a decade will either, though.

I don't see any teams lining up to pay a 1C/superstar type of asset for those goalies. Not in the current circumstances anyway when Saros' contract is coming up and Askarov hasn't come close to establishing his credentials yet. So there is no way trading either of them gets the team any closer to becoming a future contender than just holding onto them and waiting to see if any of the parameters change, while in the meantime at least they have the goaltending position nicely taken care of.

Star 1Cs have to be drafted and developed internally. They very rarely ever get traded or hit free agency. Odds increase in getting one with better 1st round pick.

"1Cs" only get traded when there are other underlying issues with them be it attitude, contract demands outpacing production, etc.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
If I had to guess the timeline could look like this:

2024-25: Another year in the AHL to play a ton of games (he hasn't even played 100 AHL regular season games yet)
2025-26: Promoted to NHL to be the backup, plays 25 games
2026-27: Saros is now 31 years old, Askarov plays 30-35 games
2027-28: 50-50 split of the workload
2028-29: Saros traded, Askarov takes over at age 26

It's kind of how they did the Rinne to Saros transition.
This is my feeling too.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It just feels like Nashville is happy building a middle of the pack team. Saros/Askarov are their best trade assets to improve the team
Goaltending is the hardest position to predict, but also the most critical. Nashville isn't going to be a better team moving one of those guys.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Pierre Lebrun reported yesterday that Trots intends on extending Saros.

Speaking of goalies, Nashville Predators GM Barry Trotz hopes to take Juuse Saros’ name out of the trade rumors by signing him to an extension this summer. He can do that as of July 1, and the plan is to meet with Saros’ agent, Kevin Epp, this week in Buffalo. Saros will be a UFA in July 2025.

“Yeah, we’re talking to Juice and talking to his representative,” Trotz told The Athletic. “I think they want to get something done. I would like to get something done. So we’re going to work toward that. I haven’t been in any hurry because I don’t think there’s any reason why I won’t get it done.”

The Predators plan to sign Juuse Saros to an extension.

So what does this deal look like? He will be 30 when this deal kicks in.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
IMHO thinking 3-4 years would be the sweet spot for Preds with Saros. Askarov needs the benefit of more AHL games and some Mitch Korn guidance to be really ready. Witness Askarov's play in AHL playoffs. My 2 cents worth.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I love extending him, I don't love extending him until he's 37-38. It sort of feels like those are the only 2 options. No Saros or Saros until he's old.

Tough call, but I guess if the cap hit isn't insane and with cap increases he can be the team mascot in his gray years.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
He's a top 5-10 goalie, he's not signing for less than 7milaav and 7-8 years unless he takes a massive discount. You really think saros is getting a 3 year deal between 5-6million AAV? keep dreaming

This is his big pay day contract.

I could see 8.5 million for 6 years If trying for a shorter term.

7 to 7.5 for 8 years.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
No, we let Saros walk on those terms.

But it won’t be like that. Watch. ;)
Hope you're right, but guys don't usually take hometown discounts on their final contract. I think he at least gets the NMC though, can't see any way he takes less money and takes a less than the full no movement clause.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Or the Nashville model and bring Askarov along at a snails pace behind Saros, like they did with Saros behind Rinne.
I think we're starting to see the top tier goalies burning out as the playoff grind continues. I think Teams ideally want a 50-52/30-32 split and not 65 or so games like Connor played.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Trotz has been saying this for a year so its not anything new, there was just always the option to move him if the price was right.

He's not getting 8x8 though, Trotz lets him walk if that is what he wants. Trotz said after he bought out Duchene he wasn't planning on signing anyone to " retirement" deals for a while, and he knew then Saros contract was coming up.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

It’s not just about the return. They keep showing they lack vision

Now they are build to draft in the middle of the 1st round. Not good enough to compete, not bad enough to land franchise prospects. Just happy with taking part

That’s the forever Minnesota model

I'd personally argue we don't have a 1C now and honestly Novak should probably be on wing and not a 2C. RoR had a good season but he got 40% of his production on the powerplay. Low end 1C by total production... middling 2C by even strength production.

I’m not saying RoR is a legit 1C but that’s the closest they got and I was complimentary

I’d be frustrated as heck as a fan knowing season after season they aren’t build to compete and the future doesn’t look that much different

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
IMHO thinking 3-4 years would be the sweet spot for Preds with Saros. Askarov needs the benefit of more AHL games and some Mitch Korn guidance to be really ready. Witness Askarov's play in AHL playoffs. My 2 cents worth.

OK, but why would Saros consider that deal at all?

He overperformed his last deal and at 29, this is his chance for his one big contract. Can't see him getting less than 7 years.

His stats also slipped this past season and he doesn't have great playoff stats overall so that's a hell of a risk that he leaves a ton of money on the table if he only signs for 3-4 years.

Nashville should just bite the bullet and extend him for 7-8 years at a high cap hit, see how things go the next few seasons and move one of them out in another 3-4 years if Askarov steals the crease...or at least establishes himself as a starter-caliber goalie.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Goaltending is the hardest position to predict, but also the most critical. Nashville isn't going to be a better team moving one of those guys.

1C is far more critical, as well as Josi level 1D

Saros will never go for that, he’ll want term and he’ll get it from someone

This is his UFA deal and he’s never been paid before. He’s not going for the biggest cap hit I believe but he’s going for max term

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
No, we let Saros walk on those terms.

But it won’t be like that. Watch. ;)

Hope you're right, but guys don't usually take hometown discounts on their final contract. I think he at least gets the NMC though, can't see any way he takes less money and takes a less than the full no movement clause.

I think a lot of teams would be interested in giving the full NMC and more dollars. Lots of teams struggling finding a true #1 goalie

He also has made enough to live in but if you look at the total amount this is his money contract. He has a real chance to make 70% of his total income as a NHL player this contract.

His last deal was for 20 million and the deal before 4.5 million.

I think he gets atleast 50 million on this contract.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I think a lot of teams would be interested in giving the full NMC and more dollars. Lots of teams struggling finding a true #1 goalie

He also has made enough to live in but if you look at the total amount this is his money contract. He has a real chance to make 70% of his total income as a NHL player this contract.

His last deal was for 20 million and the deal before 4.5 million.

I think he gets atleast 50 million on this contract.
Humans are greedy and Saros is human, he should want to get as much as possible. As for the NMC the last 2 big names to sign are Sorokin and Hellebuyck and they both got a NMC for at least 3 years

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad