Value of: Barrett Hayton (C, ARI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
He's a 6'1 210 lb. 23 y/o top-6 two-way C who had 38 points in his last 50 games of last year.

Every single team in the NHL would give up a top-10 protected 1st round pick for him and be laughing as they made the deal.
no they wouldn't.

he had a career year. he'll have to repeat his performance to have significant value.

maybe a late 2nd is a bit too low. maybe just an early to mid-2nd.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
no they wouldn't.

he had a career year. he'll have to repeat his performance to have significant value.

maybe a late 2nd is a bit too low. maybe just a mid-2nd.
You’re on an island here.

Hayton was tremendous once he got prime ice time. Looked every bit the big, all-weather two-way center the Yotes projected him as when they picked him 5th overall.

You can play the “he had a career year he’s got to repeat” schtick with any young player in the league. At some point you have to be nuanced about your evaluation. Hayton put in the kind of performance and has the kind of center skill set package while being both young and cheap still that every team is looking for. His underlying numbers back it up. His pedigree backs it up. He’s trajectory is all up arrows. The Yotes value him immensely.

You are completely off here.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
no they wouldn't.

You are in absolute dreamland.

Big young cost-controlled two-way C are absolute gold, and he's worth a fortune right now.

I'd trade Vancouver's 2024 1st top-10 protected for him in an absolute heartbeat. Wouldn't even have to think twice. But I suspect he'd probably garner more than that.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
You’re on an island here.

Hayton was tremendous once he got prime ice time. Looked every bit the big, all-weather two-way center the Yotes projected him as when they picked him 5th overall.

You can play the “he had a career year he’s got to repeat” schtick with any young player in the league. At some point you have to be nuanced about your evaluation. Hayton put in the kind of performance and has the kind of center skill set package while being both young and cheap still that every team is looking for. His underlying numbers back it up. His pedigree backs it up. He’s trajectory is all up arrows. The Yotes value him immensely.

You are completely off here.
i dont think so.

look at other players from his draft year that got moved recently. kotkaniemi, sharangovich, zadina, durzi, and sandin. nothing screams top 10 pick. if anything i'd lean towards late 1st to mid 2. especially when you consider rumors that a lot of players were available for free this offseason and most teams already have their rosters set.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
i dont think so.

look at other players from his draft year that got moved recently. kotkaniemi, sharangovich, zadina, durzi, and sandin. nothing screams top 10 pick. if anything i'd lean towards late 1st to mid 2. especially when you consider rumors that a lot of players were available for free this offseason and most teams already have their rosters set.
What on gods green earth do any of those players have to do with Barrett Hayton? What does Zadina being available for free have to do with Barrett Hayton?

What a bizarre line of thinking.

Reactions: Nowotny

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
What on gods green earth do any of those players have to do with Barrett Hayton? What does Zadina being available for free have to do with Barrett Hayton?

What a bizarre line of thinking.
comparing him to his peers from his draft.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i dont think so.

You're listing a bunch of middling wingers and tiny D. Not a 6'1 210 top-6 C. Those players have literally nothing to do with Hayton's value, outside of Kotkaniemi who garnered a 1st and a 3rd after a worse season.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
You're listing a bunch of middling wingers and tiny D. Not a 6'1 210 top-6 C. Those players have literally nothing to do with Hayton's value, outside of Kotkaniemi who garnered a 1st and a 3rd after a worse season.
id call him more of a middle 6 center at this point.

canes paid a premium for kk becuase of the offsheet and kk and hayton aren't that far off. kk shows much more early development.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Right!!! Then I’m reading the comments and nobody is saying anything. Had to go back and see if I really read that.
Why would anyone with a brain respond to such stupidity?

Yeah...I can assure you that a top-tier scoring d-man such as Erik Karlsson isn't looking to sign in Arizona.
And more importantly, Arizona is not looking to sign such a player.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I’ve been on the Hayton train for a while but so think he is about to begin a long stretch of 55-75 pts (who knows what scoring will be like) with good all around C play

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
i dont think so.

MS said top 10 protected, not top 10. As in explicitly not a top 10 pick.

Kotkaniemi and Kirby Dach are the two screamingly obvious trade parallels for Hayton as big top 5 Cs with limited records of accomplishment. Both get 1st and 3rd, in Dach's case nailed to 13th.

That's where the bidding starts on Hayton, since a 40+ season was notably far beyond what either Kotkanimi or Dach had done at the point of being traded.

Note also that this is a valuation for should Arizona prefer to sell than to keep, as was the case of Kotkaniemi and Dach. The value needed to make them change their mind if they prefer to keep than to sell should be extortionate.

Reactions: MS

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
MS said top 10 protected, not top 10. As in explicitly not a top 10 pick.

Kotkaniemi and Kirby Dach are the two screamingly obvious trade parallels for Hayton as big top 5 Cs with limited records of accomplishment. Both get 1st and 3rd, in Dach's case nailed to 13th.

That's where the bidding starts on Hayton, since a 40+ season was notably far beyond what either Kotkanimi or Dach had done at the point of being traded.

Note also that this is a valuation for should Arizona prefer to sell than to keep, as was the case of Kotkaniemi and Dach. The value needed to make them change their mind if they prefer to keep than to sell should be extortionate.

thanks. top 10 protected makes a ton more sense than a top 10 pick.

kk is probably a good comparison but he came through an offersheet so has inflated value.

dach isnt a good comparison since hes showed a ton more development. dach is 2 years younger and has more production than hayton.

the problem with hayton is that hes 24 and only has one good year of production.
is he a product of keller and can he produce without the opportunity hes getting in arizona. he wouldnt get that opportunity anywhere else in the league. hed have to play 3c minutes.

dibrincat struggled to get a much more than a 1st so i don't hayton doing it. An early 2nd makes more sense to me.

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
thanks. top 10 protected makes a ton more sense than a top 10 pick.

kk is probably a good comparison but he came through an offersheet so has inflated value.

dach isnt a good comparison since hes showed a ton more development. dach is 2 years younger and has more production than hayton.

the problem with hayton is that hes 24 and only has one good year of production.
is he a product of keller and can he produce without the opportunity hes getting in arizona. he wouldnt get that opportunity anywhere else in the league. hed have to play 3c minutes.

dibrincat struggled to get a much more than a 1st so i don't hayton doing it. An early 2nd makes more sense to me.

Hayton is barely 23 years old.

There would absolutely be first round picks in play if Hayton was on sale, but he isn’t. Dvorak got 1st + 3rd and Hayton is a lot better than him in around same age.

Even with Cooley signing, our center depth is still one of the weakest in the league. Literally 0 reason to trade young potential top-6 for picks in 15-60 range, when we have like 12 top-64 picks in next 3 drafts

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Because everybody knows that, because of draft position and expectations, Auston Matthews and Jesse Puljujarvi are equivalent players and make for a fair comparison.

Seriously, hon, what the actual f***?
lol dont be so dramatic.

matthews carrer points - 542
puljujarvi career points 114

meanwhile...
kotkaniemi 134 pts
sharagovich 106pts
hayton 74 pts
zadina 68pts
durzi 65pts
sandin 63 pts.

most people seemed to think sharagovich was worth colorado's early 2nd only a month ago and he's been more productive than hayton.
also most people agree carolina overpaid for kk with a late 1st and 3rd.

Last edited:

EquivalentStay

Jul 27, 2020
lol dont be so dramatic.

matthews carrer points - 542
puljujarvi career points 114

meanwhile...
kotkaniemi 134 pts
sharagovich 106pts
hayton 74 pts
zadina 68pts
durzi 65pts
sandin 63 pts.

most people seemed to think sharagovich was worth colorado's early 2nd only a month ago and he's been more productive than hayton.
also most people agree carolina overpaid for kk with a late 1st and 3rd.
Do games played.

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
no they wouldn't.

Perhaps you're right that the yotes are thinking about dealing him while his stock's at an all time high. We'll just have to wait and see what unfolds I guess.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Hayton is barely 23 years old.

There would absolutely be first round picks in play if Hayton was on sale, but he isn’t. Dvorak got 1st + 3rd and Hayton is a lot better than him in around same age.

Even with Cooley signing, our center depth is still one of the weakest in the league. Literally 0 reason to trade young potential top-6 for picks in 15-60 range, when we have like 12 top-64 picks in next 3 drafts
Hayton is worth a late 1st. Dvorak got a 1st and 3rd because Bergevin is a moron.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Why are the Coyotes trading a 23yo center who they spent 5 years developing and has done nothing but what he was asked? He was a 5th overall pick, who went about 5 slots earlier than he maybe should have, but he was a project and has progressed just fine. I'm not sure why every player has to be Conner McDavid by 23 or they're a bottom 6 player who will be out of the league in a few years.

With regard to his value, probably a mid 1st until he proves he is what we saw last season. The value is irrelevant though, I'd imagine he isn't traded for at least 2 more seasons, and maybe never.

Reactions: Grinner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad