Barracuda News & Discussion VII

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Oh c'mon. Second SHG we should've had but Bystedt just shot that one poorly. He had a completely open net.

Bailey takes a penalty because he was trying to sweep the puck out, missed the puck and tripped a guy.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Dumb way to end the weekend, but I gotta say that was one of the most impressive PK displays I've seen in a while at any level.

Speaking of the PK, that miss from Bystedt is now haunting me, but is hardly the main reason we lost. Totally different game if he didn't somehow shoot this wide:

Ugh, I can't stand losing to Ontario. Especially like that.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Speaking of the PK, that miss from Bystedt is now haunting me, but is hardly the main reason we lost. Totally different game if he didn't somehow shoot this wide:

Ugh, I can't stand losing to Ontario. Especially like that.

Seriously a huge bummer. That puck goes in and the game is over. My stream was a bit grainy so at first I thought maybe the pass was bouncing, but he straight up biffed it.

It probably would have helped if we didn't spend half the game on the PK, though...

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Seriously a huge bummer. That puck goes in and the game is over. My stream was a bit grainy so at first I thought maybe the pass was bouncing, but he straight up biffed it.

It probably would have helped if we didn't spend half the game on the PK, though...

Biggest issue I have with our penalties this weekend is that they mostly haven't been due to breakdowns in discipline due to us losing our temper or something like that, they've just been sloppy/careless individual incidents.

And it's not really one person (well, okay, maybe Hache). Couple of them today were hard to judge cause they were off-camera, but they've got to clean that up.

---

Thought Bystedt, Graf and Robins were the best forwards so far. Very impressed with how Graf has been playing. Smart player. Bystedt has just been doing everything well.

Impressed we're playing this well when two guys I think are major pieces for us have not shown up, that being Cardwell and Bailey. Have no doubt they'll get it going, but Cardwell has looked like he's in his own head and I feel like Bailey is just being a bit lackadaisical in his play.

Just really annoying that we wind up with 0 points from that game. Ah well, we're back next Saturday, at home, vs. Iowa.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Biggest issue I have with our penalties this weekend is that they mostly haven't been due to breakdowns in discipline due to us losing our temper or something like that, they've just been sloppy/careless individual incidents.

And it's not really one person (well, okay, maybe Hache). Couple of them today were hard to judge cause they were off-camera, but they've got to clean that up.

---

Thought Bystedt, Graf and Robins were the best forwards so far. Very impressed with how Graf has been playing. Smart player. Bystedt has just been doing everything well.

Impressed we're playing this well when two guys I think are major pieces for us have not shown up, that being Cardwell and Bailey. Have no doubt they'll get it going, but Cardwell has looked like he's in his own head and I feel like Bailey is just being a bit lackadaisical in his play.

Just really annoying that we wind up with 0 points from that game. Ah well, we're back next Saturday, at home, vs. Iowa.
Feel the same way. Specifically to the bolded, it felt almost deliberate that we hardly saw any replays of penalties that were called off-camera. Maybe just a coincidence, but it felt weird.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Bystedt has been nothing but impressive at the AHL level. He'd be my first call-up among the forwards with Graf as a close second.
I'd kinda rather not mess with his development by yo-yoing him around. We have five NHL centers plus Goodrow, Dellandrea, and even Eklund who can play center in a pinch. I think the call-ups should belong to the AHL guys who have put in the work the last few years like Gushchin, Cardwell, Robins, etc.

I think Bystedt could probably replicate 90% of what Nico Sturm is right now, but what would be the point?

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Agreed, with the logjam of 3rd-4th line options (in an ideal world 4th line, but it is what it is) we have in the NHL, Bystedt among others are better off in the AHL at this point. Guy seems to be trending in the right direction, hopefully Halttunen & Co. follow suit.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd kinda rather not mess with his development by yo-yoing him around. We have five NHL centers plus Goodrow, Dellandrea, and even Eklund who can play center in a pinch. I think the call-ups should belong to the AHL guys who have put in the work the last few years like Gushchin, Cardwell, Robins, etc.

I think Bystedt could probably replicate 90% of what Nico Sturm is right now, but what would be the point?
To get him experience playing at NHL speed. You can do that with players like Bystedt to cover for short term injuries.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
To get him experience playing at NHL speed. You can do that with players like Bystedt to cover for short term injuries.
I have no problem with giving him a few NHL games if he's earned it, but I wouldn't consider him my first injury call up because those are typically the guys getting yo-yoed.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I have no problem with giving him a few NHL games if he's earned it, but I wouldn't consider him my first injury call up because those are typically the guys getting yo-yoed.
Maybe but getting yo-yoed isn't necessarily a bad thing for a young player's development either. More games the better to me for any young player with a shot at being an NHL'er.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad