Barracuda News & Discussion VII

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I was worried that if all he had was his shot that he wasn’t going to get to the NHL, but I kinda wonder if it’s good enough to cover his negatives.
I thought he really held his own at even strength in all the AHL play I've seen him in. Hopefully this year really is a step for him in being a positive at even strength in the pros.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Robins scores on a bad-angle shot that Copley really should have had. I'll take it, though. 1-1 game.

Hache takes another minor penalty. I thought he was better than expected yesterday, but he has been in the box a lot thus far this season.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Getting way ahead of myself, but you wonder if 20 games in some players are just tearing up the AHL, how the Sharks will manage it. I felt that players like Hoffman, Barabanov, Zadina, etc. played over players like Guschin last year. I hope that doesn't continue this year.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It's nice to see kids like Graf, Halttunen, Cagnoni, and Bystedt jump straight into the AHL and be positive influences and hit the score sheet immediately. It's very unlike past Cuda/WSharks teams we've been excited about. The only time I remember the kids actually delivering was in 2016 with the Labanc/Chartier/Goldobin/Meier group.

Cagnoni has some work to do defensively before he's ready for the NHL, but you can see the brain is there. I think it'll be good for him to be in a situation where a lot of his job will be creating possession from defensive zone play.

Reactions: Sandisfan and DG93

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Cuda lead 2-1 after one period. Shots are 14-7 Reign and I've actually not been thrilled with the defense thus far. They've been back on their heels quite a bit and our breakout hasn't been very good. Ontario has been the better team.

Reactions: Sandisfan

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Getting way ahead of myself, but you wonder if 20 games in some players are just tearing up the AHL, how the Sharks will manage it. I felt that players like Hoffman, Barabanov, Zadina, etc. played over players like Guschin last year. I hope that doesn't continue this year.
It depends on who it is and how they are killin' it. Injuries will come (already have sadly with Celly). Even if guys are lighting it up in the AHL, if their details and defense are not there, then they arent ready. I hope the assessment and call ups come from the complete game of prospects not just points.

For instance, Graf has breakaway goals in the first two games, but he clearly showed he wasnt yet ready for the NHL last year or in preseason. He has to form a more complete game first.

I would fully expect that the sharks will have a little elevator that goes up and down from the cuda to sharks all season, especially in the second half.

partly, I also think it matters how the big club does. If the big club struggles, we'll see more call ups than if the big club is cruising.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Bystedt blasts a one-timer on a pass from Robins to make it 3-1 early in the second. Much better start.

Unfortunately one gets by Romanov almost immediately after. 3-2. This is one thing I had issue with last season. Giving up goals right after scoring one.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Man, Cardwell's been fighting the puck this weekend. Should've had a short-handed goal on a feed from Bystedt but just completely shanked it.

We take one more penalty, Romanov comes up big:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad