Barracuda News & Discussion VII

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Good Friday. Many have the day off.

They did it twice last season, called them "Darties." While one was on Good Friday again, the other was a noon game on November 3. Which was also a Friday, but not a Good one. So we played them at noon, twice, on Fridays.

This is also the only time we're in Calgary this coming season. It's just a strange pattern.

Reactions: Sandisfan

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Does anyone have a projected Cuda Lineup?

Seems to me that the locked forwards (assuming none make NHL) are: Poturalski, bystedt, cardwell, gushkin, bordeleau, graf, Coe, Robins, Bailey, G smith, Russell, and Sabourin (12 total)

it does not include Grainger, Houle, and Vanroboys on AHl contracts, though they may slot in somewhere.

This also excludes chernyshov who goes to saginaw and haltunnen, who I think will end up back in London. My reasoning is that he is just 19, there are a slew of guys ahead of him to make the NHL including Musty, and while he had a strong PO's, he didnt exactly destroy juniors like Musty did. Seems he still has much to work on and might need the top line minutes for seasoning rather than depth minutes on the cuda.

D would be: Carlsson, Shuldt, Thompson, Pulli, Furlong, Laraque, Guryev, Fritch (8 total)

This does not include the AHL contract of Bucheler.

This list excludes Mukh as I think he makes the team out of camp. Schuldt and carlsson make keeping mukh on the Cuda less rational. I think they have him penciled in with the big club if he has a respectable camp.

This also excludes cagnoni who might do another junior year too. Yes, he tore it up, but he too could use to get a little bigger, stronger, and better. I am far less confident of his exclusion though and I could easily see him make the cuda and bump furlong/Laraque/Guryev out to the ECHL.

I suppose the lineup might be:
Poturalski-Gushkin-Graf
Bystedt-Cardwell-Robins
Bordelau-Coe-Grainger (he was a hobey baker finalist last year)
Bailey/Smith/Russell/Sabourin/Grainger/Houle/Vanroboys?
(note: there would be room for haltunnen on the top two lines as robins could get pushed down if he has a very strong camp)

Carlsson-Pulli
Thompson-Schuldt
Fritch-Furlong or Laraque/bucheler/Guryev/etc

The top two pairings had a shut down guy paired with a high octane offensive player.
(could be room for cagnoni in place of pulli on the top two pairings if he has a good camp)

whatcha think?

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Does anyone have a projected Cuda Lineup?

Seems to me that the locked forwards (assuming none make NHL) are: Poturalski, bystedt, cardwell, gushkin, bordeleau, graf, Coe, Robins, Bailey, G smith, Russell, and Sabourin (12 total)

it does not include Grainger, Houle, and Vanroboys on AHl contracts, though they may slot in somewhere.

This also excludes chernyshov who goes to saginaw and haltunnen, who I think will end up back in London. My reasoning is that he is just 19, there are a slew of guys ahead of him to make the NHL including Musty, and while he had a strong PO's, he didnt exactly destroy juniors like Musty did. Seems he still has much to work on and might need the top line minutes for seasoning rather than depth minutes on the cuda.

D would be: Carlsson, Shuldt, Thompson, Pulli, Furlong, Laraque, Guryev, Fritch (8 total)

This does not include the AHL contract of Bucheler.

This list excludes Mukh as I think he makes the team out of camp. Schuldt and carlsson make keeping mukh on the Cuda less rational. I think they have him penciled in with the big club if he has a respectable camp.

This also excludes cagnoni who might do another junior year too. Yes, he tore it up, but he too could use to get a little bigger, stronger, and better. I am far less confident of his exclusion though and I could easily see him make the cuda and bump furlong/Laraque/Guryev out to the ECHL.

I suppose the lineup might be:
Poturalski-Gushkin-Graf
Bystedt-Cardwell-Robins
Bordelau-Coe-Grainger (he was a hobey baker finalist last year)
Bailey/Smith/Russell/Sabourin/Grainger/Houle/Vanroboys?
(note: there would be room for haltunnen on the top two lines as robins could get pushed down if he has a very strong camp)

Carlsson-Pulli
Thompson-Schuldt
Fritch-Furlong or Laraque/bucheler/Guryev/etc

The top two pairings had a shut down guy paired with a high octane offensive player.
(could be room for cagnoni in place of pulli on the top two pairings if he has a good camp)

whatcha think?

Joe Will said on the most recent SJ Hockey Now podcast we're looking for a forward addition. I'm going to include that in my lines.

Just throwing something together:
Bordeleau-Poturalski-Graf
Gushchin-Bystedt-Cardwell
XXX-Robins-Sabourin
Vincent-Vanroboys-Coe
Grainger, Houle, Russell, Carroll

Gushchin/Bystedt/Cardwell worked very well for us down the stretch last season, so I'd just keep them together to start. Coe is actually really hard to place on these lines. I feel like they want to put him in a position to succeed, but I don't think he's better than the RWs I put on the top 3 lines, and I also don't think I'd want him on the fourth line. You could possibly swap him and Sabourin. Justin Bailey could also be worked in here (I'm not sure he's going to be sent down), and "XXX" could be Givani Smith if nobody else comes along. There's a lot of variables still in play as far as the forward lines go, so it's tough.

I liked what I saw from Houle in his brief time here, I could see him getting some fourth line time. Wasn't really convinced by Joe Carroll, but I'd expect him to draw into the lineup. I didn't really get the impression the coaching staff was impressed with Grainger, I feel like he could be this season's Connor MacEachern. Mitchell Russell's a complete wild card, he looks pretty decent when he plays, but he's barely played over the past two years.

Carlsson-Furlong
Schuldt-Thompson
Pulli-Frisch
Laroque, Guryev, Bucheler, Hache

And that's while also considering that Muk or Thrun could wind up down here to start the season, possibly displacing Pulli or Furlong. I've read that both Schuldt and Furlong can play on the right side, which would help with our setup. I do want to see Bucheler get some time, he made a good impression on me. Pretty psyched about what we've got available on defense, but ice time is going to be hard to come by for some of these guys.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Barracuda have signed Colin White to a presumably one-year AHL contract.

That name gave me some awful flashbacks.

Interesting addition. Center, right-handed, and he counts as a veteran. Not what I was expecting. 3C, maybe? Seems like a replacement for Cole Cassels.

Related to this, the Barracuda are allowed six veteran players in their lineup at one time. Veteran meaning they've played in 260+ professional games. You're allowed five veteran players, plus one "veteran exempt" player. The veteran exempt player is someone who's played between 260 and 320 games.

This roster now has the following vets:
Poturalski
Sabourin
Carlsson
White
Schuldt (Vet. exempt)

So we'd only be able to use one other veteran if all of these guys were dressed in a game.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Interesting addition. Center, right-handed, and he counts as a veteran. Not what I was expecting. 3C, maybe? Seems like a replacement for Cole Cassels.

Related to this, the Barracuda are allowed six veteran players in their lineup at one time. Veteran meaning they've played in 260+ professional games. You're allowed five veteran players, plus one "veteran exempt" player. The veteran exempt player is someone who's played between 260 and 320 games.

Poturalski
Sabourin
Carlsson
White
Schuldt (Vet. exempt)

So we'd only be able to use one other veteran if all of these guys were dressed in a game.
For an extremely hot second I thought we'd signed the 50 year old defenseman Colin White too. :laugh:

This Colin White is a real blast from my scouting past. He was so good with the U17's alongside Jeremy Bracco, then both totally busted. One of my first lessons in juniors vs pros.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

Poturalski
Sabourin
Carlsson
White
Schuldt (Vet. exempt)

Doesn't Justin Bailey count as a veteran?

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Doesn't Justin Bailey count as a veteran?

Yeah, if he gets sent here, he'd be veteran 6. But he's at least in the conversation for the Sharks' roster, so I'm not including him in the count just yet. Same goes for Givani Smith.

Actually, part of my point was that if both those guys go down, all seven of them won't be able to play at the same time.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Yeah, if he gets sent here, he'd be veteran 6. But he's at least in the conversation for the Sharks' roster, so I'm not including him in the count just yet. Same goes for Givani Smith.

Actually, part of my point was that if both those guys go down, all seven of them won't be able to play at the same time.
is that a negative impact?

jarr92

May 7, 2013
There is absolutely no reason the Barracuda shouldn't be competitive next season.
Screen-Shot-2021-09-30-at-11.16.38-AM-3290e86c2b.png

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Givani Smith is on a one-way contract and the Sharks need him to protect the kids. Highly unlikely he gets waived.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Givani Smith is on a one-way contract and the Sharks need him to protect the kids. Highly unlikely he gets waived.
You think so? To me, its not 1980. You dont need a Jeff Odgers to protect baby marleau.

Nowadays, if you cant play, you don't play. Givani Smith is nowhere near an NHL player. the fact that he can punch people moderately well is no reason to give a playing spot to him. With Dyllandrea and Grundstrom and goodrow added for depth, I see no way Smith plays over those guys or Kostin, or even bailey (who was clearly above him last year). Smith is like #17 on the depth chart. If he plays a game in the NHL, it means a whole lot of injuries. Why Grier signed him in the first place is beyond me.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
You think so? To me, its not 1980. You dont need a Jeff Odgers to protect baby marleau.

Nowadays, if you cant play, you don't play. Givani Smith is nowhere near an NHL player. the fact that he can punch people moderately well is no reason to give a playing spot to him. With Dyllandrea and Grundstrom and goodrow added for depth, I see no way Smith plays over those guys or Kostin, or even bailey (who was clearly above him last year). Smith is like #17 on the depth chart. If he plays a game in the NHL, it means a whole lot of injuries. Why Grier signed him in the first place is beyond me.
Grier mentioned him by name in his press conference after we signed Celebrini. He's making the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad