Ballon D'or 2021: Who wins it?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Alvarez's World Cup was just as good as Griezmann lmao, c'mon man. Bellingham was also brilliant.

Griezmann has two 3rd Place Ballon d'Or finishes - I doubt he's losing sleep over this. Why are you?
I'm not losing sleep lol.
I'm just saying he was much better than 21st.
And Alvarez had as good a WC? I don't think so. And lol to Jude.

No World Cup top scorer has made the Ballon d'Or top 6 since Ronaldo in 2002.
Mbappe 2018? Can't remember if he was top goalscorer

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Both Griezmann and Alvarez were on most media-produced Teams of the Tournament lol, based on the exact same source as you. If you don't see Alvarez's name, I suggest looking at the other all star teams listed on the ~literal Wikipedia page you cited~

I'm not sure why you would narrow in on such fine sources as Sports Illustrated and FourFourTwo given all the other media outlets listed on that same page which included Alvarez.

Were I to have made a team of the tournament, they both would've been in it!

Edit: ah, I see. You were on the Golden Ball section. Scroll down friend, you'll see beautiful things.

If you click on the FourFourTwo link, btw, you'd find that they had "lol Jude" in 7th, to Griezz's 3rd. To someone willing to engage with opinions different than their own, that would indicate that they were operating on a similar level.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I didn't narrow down, those were Wikipedia's sources as best players in the WC. Griezmann came third per two of them. Two out of 3, and Sofiascore is silly, so really 2 out of 2.
Griezmann had a perfect tournament except the final, where he was sick.
Alvarez was fine, but nowhere near as good as Griez'.

But I guess those 442 and SI didn't watch Argentina either, otherwise FFS, they wouldn't DARE ranking Griez over Alavarez during that WC !
And I'm sure Alvarez's club G+A whopping 13 vs 32 makes up the difference. Or not.
Alvarez had a lesser WC AND a lesser club year.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Good lord. You really are this thick. Wow.

Alvarez and Griezmann were both in most media produced teams of the tournament. If that's not an indicator that they had tournaments of similar quality, then we have no f***ing indicators.

Also as an aside, I am LMAO at 442 and Sports Illustrated suddenly being taken seriously.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Good lord. You really are this thick. Wow.

Alvarez and Griezmann were both in most media produced teams of the tournament. If that's not an indicator that they had tournaments of similar quality, then we have no f***ing indicators.

Also as an aside, I am LMAO at 442 and Sports Illustrated suddenly being taken seriously.
I wonder who is really THICK beyond any reasonnable doubt.

WTF is ranked 3rd in those Golden Boot rankings? Alvarez or Griezmann? I'm sure the Theo or Romain Saiss also had as good a WC as Messi? How STUPID can people be? :facepalm:

Then Who TF is THICK to say Alvarez had just as good a WC and thus it makes up for his putrid club season compared to Griezmann?

And not only did you say Alvarez had "WITHOUT A DOUBT" a better year than Griezmann, but he loses both the club AND WC arguments.

But rather than admit you just made a mistake, you continue to dig deeper and deeper.

Good lord indeed.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
13 G+A is putrid for a Ballon D'or top 10 yes.
Yes you indeed are better advised to leave it at a LMAO since your point had zero argument. Which defines as batshit to you.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
It has always been Cr7 agaisnt the football world. Haaland is a Ronaldo fan, so its obvious they did this to destroy for Haaland. Didnt Haaland have like 80+ G/a throughout the season?

Messi won a rigged Wc and scored 5-6 goals in MLS this season. This is not okay and We need to protest actually
Anytime there is a vote / lottery it is rigged, objectively as well.
If it doesn't use a stat or most goals or assists or any kind of numbers stat... rigged.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Avtually Messi was spectacular for the first part of the season and then the WC. He pretty much checked out afterwards. Same for Neymar (with injury).
Mbappe is the only one with a consistent season and IMO he was just as good at the WC. But of course a penalty shootout decided the whole thing.
IMO Haaland is only 3rd and not 2nd. Because while he scored a bunch he disappeared in key games and his Norway team which should be good enough is failing every time.
That's the problem, Messi wasn't even that amazing for the World Cup. I totally was expecting him to get all the praise because that's what humans do, but Argentina won that more by committee than an individual player like when Mbappe stormed and won the Euros with France by himself. I am not saying that Haaland should've won it, but he was easily better than Mbappe and Messi last year. Hell, I can name two players that should've gotten a higher point total for this trophy over Messi and those were the two Napoli duo in Osimhen and Kvaratskhelia.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Mbappe hasn't won a Euro.
Messi was spectacular during the WC.
Haaland was hardly better, as I pointed out.

Mess all around.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Mbappe hasn't won a Euro.
Messi was spectacular during the WC.
Haaland was hardly better, as I pointed out.

Mess all around.
I meant the last Euros when they didn't win and the World Cup.

Messi was good at the WC, just like Alaverz was. It was by committee and Argentina got a very easy bracket, it wasn't like Messi was Mbappe that one year.

Haaland easily had a better overall campaign than Messi. You don't win a treble by being average the entire year fam. What Haaland did with City was more impressive than Messi winning the World Cup easily, like you can't even debate that. Nonetheless, I am not even debating that Haaland should've won it, there were many candidates who would've been superior to Messi.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
My hot take is that Rodri had the more impressive season than Haaland

*ducks for cover*
I do agree with you. I would even say that it was not even the best Man City side under Pep Guardiola just the most complete.

As for Messi, he was by far the best argentinian player at the WC. His goal versus Mexico was clutch, his pass versus the Netherlands was one for the ages, he annihilated Croatia and his clip versus Gvardiol will also be remembered for years to come. The final was also a very good performance. Not to mention one of his biggest critics always said that he dissapeared under pressure and during that WC it was clearly not the case. He was the leader and delivered under pressure in every game. All in all, a deserved WC MVP and Ballon d'Or.

Reactions: luiginb

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

*ducks for cover*
When was the last time a CDM has won the Ballon-d'Or though? I don't entirely disagree with your premise, but he probably wasn't a realistic option for the wanks who vote for this trophy.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

*ducks for cover*
I tend to agree.
I don't want to diminish Haaland’s controbution but he ended up with 2G and 1A last game and to me he didn't have a good game.
Stats don't show everything.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I tend to agree.
I don't want to diminish Haaland’s controbution but he ended up with 2G and 1A last game and to me he didn't have a good game.
Stats don't show everything.

They don't, but that's what makes Haaland so special. He can have a poor match, that you think you're defending him well for, and still walk away with a brace that includes a goal like this to decide things:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad