Speculation: Back-Up Goaltender Candidates

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
The Leafs will still give up alot of quality scoring chances this season, regardless of the infiltration of youth that will definitely excite us when they do get the puck in the offensive zone.

With that said, I think a veteran backup goalie would be ideal. Someone who has been through tough games facing a ton of rubber, someone who won't get rattled easily, and can continue on even if they have a bad period or game. Andersen will have his share of tough games too, so a calming veteran goalie would compliment him well.

The list of available goalies is quite short at this point, and out of that small pool, I wouldn't mind Ramo, Lindback or Enroth. I think Emery and Leighton might be too old at this point, and could be an injury risk.

Chet-Nick

Feb 28, 2005
Ontario
Having a capable solid back up goaltender in todays NHL is very underated. One wrong turn and your starter is out for a few weeks. We are looking for a backup who can play 22-30 Games. Someone with experience who can come in and know his role and play it well.

Some Candidates are.

Mike Condon (26) 6'02" 200: Played for the canadians when price was injured. In his first NHL season posted a 21-25-6 record with a 2.71GAA and a .903sv%. at just 26 he is one of the youngest options.

When you factor the pressure bestowed upon Condon, as a rookie, to replace a (injured) premier goalie. Not to mention dissension within the Habs dressing room. Inconsistent offense. Sure, he had a handful of rough outings. In general, Condon did fine.

With the free agent signings of Montoya and NCAA standout, Lindgren. Another prospect, in Fucale, waiting. Condon's tenure in Montreal could be a brief one. Michael can only get better. Biggest weakness is his five-hole.

Last edited:

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
When you factor the pressure bestowed upon Condon, as a rookie, to replace a (injured) premier goalie. Not to mention dissension within the Habs dressing room. Inconsistent offense. Sure, he had a handful of rough outings. In general, Condon did fine.

With the free agent signing of Montoya and NCAA standout, Lindgren. Another prospect, in Fucale, waiting. Condon's tenure in Montreal could be a brief one. Michael can only get better. Biggest weakness is his five-hole.

I agree. He faced pressure in a market which has the spotlight on you at all times. He has proven he belongs in the NHL. HE can only get better and is only 26 the same age as Andersen

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Condon for a 4th or 5th

He had bad stats but was forced into an unusual situation where it was hard to succeed, as a rookie nonetheless.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Yea, because it'll be easy to succeed here in Toronto. :thumbd:

Didn't know you guys were planning on playing a back up for 55 games :dunno:

In that case I wouldn't trade for Condon...if you guys need someone serviceable for 10-15 games max. He's not a bad idea.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
Didn't know you guys were planning on playing a back up for 55 games :dunno:

In that case I wouldn't trade for Condon...if you guys need someone serviceable for 10-15 games max. He's not a bad idea.

Andersen will play 60 games this year. Babcock likes to rest his starters. We need somebody to play 22 games

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
He wont be healthy till about November

Give Sparks 2-3 games until he's ready.

Condon for a 4th or 5th

He had bad stats but was forced into an unusual situation where it was hard to succeed, as a rookie nonetheless.

They won't be trading draft choices for a backup. Contract they don't want in exchange for one or they'll sign or claim one.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Enroth Is the best available free agent.

Though I do wonder if the Leafs think someone may be placed on waivers or trade for a backup with a late pick - not sure who's be available though.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
Enroth Is the best available free agent.

Though I do wonder if the Leafs think someone may be placed on waivers or trade for a backup with a late pick - not sure who's be available though.

Guys I have listed would be available

Mike Condon, Dustin Tokarski, J.F Berube, Anders Nillson.

They are all ready for full time NHL back up duty.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Gimme Enroth. The guy isnt a purebred so he never got the same looks that starters do, but he looks like an absolute pill to play against. Shows up ready to play every night and knows his role on the team. Could be a better Ty Conklin in terms of veteran presence as a backup.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
The only correct answer to this question is Enroth. The guy is winning team starter quality. And probably the most consistent guy in the league.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Condon for a 4th or 5th

The best we can do is Michalek or maybe Froese. Might as well just roll the dice with Enroth at that point instead of giving up a pick.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think there are too many good UFA options to want to trade a draft pick for a backup ... Maybe if it's a contract going back the other way instead.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Not enroth.

IMO, pick a goaltender with a similar style of play to Andersen.

I think a coach like Babcock would probably prefer the ability to have different style options at his disposal.

Andersen might be better against certain opponents and others it might be better to play Enroth. (e.g. Andersen probably is better at North-South teams (due to his size, he cuts down more openings), and Enroth against East-West teams (lateral movement and puck tracking).

The benefit of similar goalies though would be defensively presenting a more consistent product from the net out.

I could see the appeal for Babcock in both situations but personally think he'd choose the former.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
I think a coach like Babcock would probably prefer the ability to have different style options at his disposal.

Andersen might be better against certain opponents and others it might be better to play Enroth. (e.g. Andersen probably is better at North-South teams (due to his size, he cuts down more openings), and Enroth against East-West teams (lateral movement and puck tracking).

The benefit of similar goalies though would be defensively presenting a more consistent product from the net out.

I could see the appeal for Babcock in both situations but personally think he'd choose the former.

Such a great post and what I was thinking when I made the thread. Enroth just makes to much sense. 2 yeas at $1.5 million

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Reto Berra

After Florida places him on waivers and Leafs get 1st pick on the waiver wire.

Me and a buddy were talking about this exact situation. He'd be a great fit and if luo is healthy he'll definitely be waived.

My devil's advocate to that is management will probably want a backup in place before the season so it looks all pretty on paper.

Enroth is clearly the most skilled r n but that means more $$.

They could also do a couple PTOs and go w/ whomever wins the job

Pretty awesome tho how the biggest glaring holes in the organization is #1 rhd and a backup goalie. Times are a changin'

I think there are too many good UFA options to want to trade a draft pick for a backup ... Maybe if it's a contract going back the other way instead.
Yea there's the lupul for 1 of dallas' tendys possibility. Any of the vets on 1 yr deals I'd move for a backup but it seems pointless to move a decent asset.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I would like to see a Lupul for Niemi swap.

It clears a goalie spot to pursue Bishop and they can LTIR Lupul plus we save cap space

God after Bishop after they just traded for Andersen and gave him a contract. Pretty much safe to say they aren't going after a starter any time soon. Especially one like Bishop who'll command ridiculous money and term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad