GDT: Baby Sharks @ Ducks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Holy ****. 41 games.

There's going to be an appeal, obviously, but wow.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That number won't hold. But it does effectively send a message from the league that they're sick of his ****.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Explanation video:

This is the explanation video. It's worth watching. He goes into detail talking about how he isn't a repeat offender but that he hasn't played. Also, he goes a step further and explains that he has repeatedly made similar type of hits, that lead to suspensions, and that the CBA allows the NHL to hand down more severe punishments for those type of repeat offenders.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Bias!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Holy ****. 41 games.

There's going to be an appeal, obviously, but wow.

Jesus, they really threw the bible at him. If the NHL wanted to make an example of somebody, I guess this was the time to do it.

Seems a bit excessive at first, but then again his last suspension was 25 games or something like that. Then again, this was nowhere near as bad as the McSorley/Bertuzzi incidents. I don't know man.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Jesus, they really threw the bible at him. If the NHL wanted to make an example of somebody, I guess this was the time to do it.

Seems a bit excessive at first, but then again his last suspension was 25 games or something like that. Then again, this was nowhere near as bad as the McSorley/Bertuzzi incidents. I don't know man.
Sentencing is not only based on the incident. Prior infractions are part of the determination, so it doesn't really matter that it isn't on par with the Bertuzzi-Moore incident.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
The sad thing is the PA will defend his right to injure more union members by appealing this decision.
He's owed his right to appeal. Guaranteeing due process isn't the same as condoning the action. I'm sure that the PA would love players like Torres to go away just as much as the league would.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
He's owed his right to appeal. Guaranteeing due process isn't the same as condoning the action. I'm sure that the PA would love players like Torres to go away just as much as the league would.

He is. But do any of us really know the actual extent of what the PA has to do vs what they likely will do? My guess is they will fight tooth and nail just because the opponent is the NHL. Beating the NHL is more important to them that the safety of their own players.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
He is. But do any of us really know the actual extent of what the PA has to do vs what they likely will do? My guess is they will fight tooth and nail just because the opponent is the NHL. Beating the NHL is more important to them that the safety of their own players.
It's possible, but they didn't really dig in the last time that this happened with Torres.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I wish they were handing out half season suspensions when Cooke was running round kneeing players and giving head shots frequently. It may have prevented this or other incidents. Actually Torres is pretty brain dead so this incident still likely happens. But others may not have.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Nice msg sending by the league.... torres was very unwilling to learn/play by the rules.

The downside to this is having to hear the sharks complain on every illegal hit that doesn't get 41 game suspension. I think they are having a hard time understanding its the player not the hit that got the 41 games. The hit its self was probably a 1-3 gamer but because he chooses to not respect the rules/safety of others he got that length.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The union has fiduciary responsibilities here towards Torres. They should fight hard. Doesn't mean they have to be disappointed when they lose.

They do, but I don't think we know exactly what that means in a situation like this. Since this is a collectively bargained punishment he may not be entitled to what we would expect in a criminal court of law. Hopefully that doesn't amount to much more than filing the appeal and providing representation during any hearing. Perhaps similar to what went down on the Hossa hit suspension appeal. That appeal ended with Gary Bettman having final say. Bettman, IMO, should have final say on this one as well.

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California

Bertuzzi wasn't a 9-time offender.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Am I incorrect in thinking that he's been suspended for more games than he's played the last 4 years? Not being able to go 20 games without making another suspend able hit really weakens one's ability to successfully appeal your suspension, one would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad