Post-Game Talk: Ba Bada Bum Bada Bum Bada Bum

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I finally saw the clip and can't believe people are or were upset about that. Skinner passes it off, starts to go back to his crease, intentionally goes back to get into Couts' way, and then even leans into him before contact then finally acts as though he's been hit by the sniper on the grassy knoll.

Honestly thought it was a terrible penalty call.
Couts didn't get a penalty on the play. He just got 5 mins for fighting after the fact.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I finally saw the clip and can't believe people are or were upset about that. Skinner passes it off, starts to go back to his crease, intentionally goes back to get into Couts' way, and then even leans into him before contact then finally acts as though he's been hit by the sniper on the grassy knoll.

The terrible penalty call did not occur. Yeah Skinner moved in the way to effect some interference. Couts made an intentional decision to plow him as a result of that, and then that sparked the fights and the Oilers comeback. Game shifted after that. Althought I thought the Oilers were doing pretty well. Even at 2-0 I felt Oilers would come back. Just as much because Flyers were awful in own zone and exits. Really bad at it. They were reversing puck from near blueline going back, its a thing you don't want to do against the Oilers,, they'll make you pay eventually for pucks not getting out. Even a team like the Flamers are far superior to Flyers in zone outs.

Reactions: GOilers88 and TB12

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Its Skinners ice. Couts is obligated to go around him...not through him.
Going through Skinner is an interference penalty which Couts should have received.

Reactions: Duke74 and TB12

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Couts didn't get a penalty on the play. He just got 5 mins for fighting after the fact.
Ah, okay. That makes sense then. Couldn't figure out why people were so upset. Skinner totally meant to do it.

The terrible penalty call did not occur. Yeah Skinner moved in the way to effect some interference. Couts made an intentional decision to plow him as a result of that, and then that sparked the fights and the Oilers comeback. Game shifted after that. Althought I thought the Oilers were doing pretty well. Even at 2-0 I felt Oilers would come back. Just as much because Flyers were awful in own zone and exits. Really bad at it. They were reversing puck from near blueline going back, its a thing you don't want to do against the Oilers,, they'll make you pay eventually for pucks not getting out. Even a team like the Flamers are far superior to Flyers in zone outs.
Yeah like I said I missed it when it happened and just saw the clip. I figured there was a penalty, but good to know there wasn't one.

Its Skinners ice. Couts is obligated to go around him...not through him.
Going through Skinner is an interference penalty which Couts should have received.
Disagree. Skinner is heading back to his crease. He intentionally stops, and goes back to get into Couts' way, then flails like he was hit by a truck.

Glad there was no call.

Reactions: Drivesaitl and TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Ah, okay. That makes sense then. Couldn't figure out why people were so upset. Skinner totally meant to do it.

Yeah like I said I missed it when it happened and just saw the clip. I figured there was a penalty, but good to know there wasn't one.

Disagree. Skinner is heading back to his crease. He intentionally stops, and goes back to get into Couts' way, then flails like he was hit by a truck.

Glad there was no call.
We're all agreed Skinner meant to do it. I don't know what Couts figured falling for it as It incited the Oilers. It doesn't matter to a team whether its one persons fault or the other. If you run or make contact with a goalie a team is going to respond to that. The Oilers did and made the Flyers pay the rest of the way. Seemed like Oilers benefitted from Couts making them angry.

Reactions: TheGingaNinja

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Glad there was no call.
What do you mean by "heading back to the crease"?
He motioned that he may be headed back and then stopped.

Thats a penalty simply because Couts had time to move around Skinner. He had time to make a choice to go around him or go through him. He choce the latter.

Skinner embelishing the hit doesnt take away from the reality of what Couts decided to do.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
We're all agreed Skinner meant to do it. I don't know what Couts figured falling for it as It incited the Oilers. It doesn't matter to a team whether its one persons fault or the other. If you run or make contact with a goalie a team is going to respond to that. The Oilers did and made the Flyers pay the rest of the way. Seemed like Oilers benefitted from Couts making them angry.
To be fair I probably would have done the same thing but I understand your sentiment.

I'm always in favor of goalies being blown up when they want to play outside of their crease and try to interfere.

What I hate is how protected they generally are when they do it. Players seemingly can't be in the blue paint at all, so goalies who decide to wander outside of it and put their body in the way should be allowed to be blown up.

Just my opinion though.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
What do you mean by "heading back to the crease"?
He motioned that he may be headed back and then stopped.

Thats a penalty simply because Couts had time to move around Skinner. He had time to make a choice to go around him or go through him. He choce the latter.

Skinner embelishing the hit doesnt take away from the reality of what Couts decided to do.
I mean exactly what I said. He leaves the puck and for the next 2-3 seconds skates back to his crease. He then stops and intentionally moves back to get into Couts' way, and then leans his shoulder into it. I don't see how you can argue it was Skinner's ice at all. The only reason there is any contact at all is 100% because Skinner initiates it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
To be fair I probably would have done the same thing but I understand your sentiment.

I'm always in favor of goalies being blown up when they want to play outside of their crease and try to interfere.

What I hate is how protected they generally are when they do it. Players seemingly can't be in the blue paint at all, so goalies who decide to wander outside of it and put their body in the way should be allowed to be blown up.

Just my opinion though.
Yeah, it just conveys the importance of the position though and teams attitudes of don't f*** with it. I'm not much of a baseball fan but I would guess a Pitcher would be similarly protected. Or a QB in football. Guys get a bit upset when it appears liberties are taken. Its good Oilers responded but it also shows a need for players to respond. As much as Perry or Stecher jumping into the fray is respected you need players(s) that are better at the aspect. Looks like Nurse too is more ornery this season and thats a positive thing. Oilers need him to be that way again.

In anycase its the game within the game. If you're winning don't do anything that specifically motivates or wakes up the opposition. Flyers are often dumb this way.

Reactions: GOilers88

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Yeah, it just conveys the importance of the position though and teams attitudes of don't f*** with it. I'm not much of a baseball fan but I would guess a Pitcher would be similarly protected. Or a QB in football. Guys get a bit upset when it appears liberties are taken. Its good Oilers responded but it also shows a need for players to respond. As much as Perry or Stecher jumping into the fray is respected you need players(s) that are better at the aspect. Looks like Nurse too is more ornery this season and thats a positive thing. Oilers need him to be that way again.

In anycase its the game within the game. If you're winning don't do anything that specifically motivates or wakes up the opposition. Flyers are often dumb this way.
Will probably be unpopular around here but I used to enjoy watching teams do this with Iggy.

Flames would be neutered, and some idiot would think it a great idea to go and throw a hit at him or fight him. Then the mauling would commence.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I mean exactly what I said. He leaves the puck and for the next 2-3 seconds skates back to his crease. He then stops and intentionally moves back to get into Couts' way, and then leans his shoulder into it. I don't see how you can argue it was Skinner's ice at all. The only reason there is any contact at all is 100% because Skinner initiates it.
So your position is that he skates back to his crease and then intentionally moves back behind the net?
Thats not what happened.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
So your position is that he skates back to his crease and then intentionally moves back behind the net?
Thats not what happened.
He quite literally takes 2 strides back to his crease after handing the puck off. Specifically looks right at Couts coming, then stops, and intentionally does his best to get into Couts' way. He certainly tries to lean into it too.

I'm watching it right now, repeatedly, and there's no convincing me that contact happens without Skinner making it happen.

If having your ass in the crease airspace warrants a GI call because it impedes the goalie, then the goalie intentionally setting a pick on a player outside of the crease should warrant the same response. Tired of seeing goalies get unfettered protection in and out of the crease.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He quite literally takes 2 strides back to his crease after handing the puck off. Specifically looks right at Couts coming, then stops, and intentionally does his best to get into Couts' way. He certainly tries to lean into it too.

I'm watching it right now, repeatedly, and there's no convincing me that contact happens without Skinner making it happen.

If having your ass in the crease airspace warrants a GI call because it impedes the goalie, then the goalie intentionally setting a pick on a player outside of the crease should warrant the same response. Tired of seeing goalies get unfettered protection in and out of the crease.

I think that this was a good piece of gamesmanship by Skinner.
An argument could be made that Skinner helped his team get emotionally involved in the game.

I have no issue with it.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
To me it looked like Skinner took a step towards Couts when he was coming around the net instead of continuing on his way back to the crease. Either way, great gamesmanship, knowing that a collision would likely cause some commotion and wake his team up.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

I think that this was a good peice of gamesmanship by Skinner.
An argument could be made that Skinner helped his team get emotionally involved in the game.

I have no issue with it.

I don't have an issue with any of it either. Initially I did because I thought there was a call against the Flyers for it, but since there was no call I'm fine with all of it.

I think goalies that want to play outside their crease should be fair game is all and I think that play only happens because Skinner chooses to ensure contact is made, then sells it pretty hard lol.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't have an issue with any of it either. Initially I did because I thought there was a call against the Flyers for it, but since there was no call I'm fine with all of it.

I think goalies that want to play outside their crease should be fair game is all and I think that play only happens because Skinner chooses to ensure contact is made, then sells it pretty hard lol.
I get what you're saying....especially in front of the crease where I think the League is leaning way too far in terms of protecting the goalie.
Behind the net though...if the goalie still has the puck he is fair game IMO. If he doesnt then he is like any other player who doesnt have the puck. Hit him and its interference.
There was a full 3 seconds after Skinner let go of the puck when Couts hit him. That IMO is enough time for it to be interference.
In any event...the penalty part on that specific play is debatable IMO.
An argument can be made both ways. Perhaps we can agree on that.

I do applaud Skinner for doing what he did though.
I think that it made a difference in the game and unlike the slash he received against Calgary there was an actual response from the team this time.
A response from the smallest player on the team no less.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I get what you're saying....especially in front of the crease where I think the League is leaning way too far in terms of protecting the goalie.
Behind the net though...if the goalie still has the puck he is fair game IMO. If he doesnt then he is like any other player who doesnt have the puck. Hit him and its interference.
There was a full 3 seconds after Skinner let go of the puck when Couts hit him. That IMO is enough time for it to be interference.
In any event...the penalty part on that specific play is debatable IMO.
An argument can be made both ways. Perhaps we can agree on that.

I do applaud Skinner for doing what he did though.
I think that it made a difference in the game and unlike the slash he received against Calgary there was an actual response from the team this time.
A response from the smallest player on the team no less.
That's exactly why I thought it was a bad call, until I realized there was no call. Because there was 3 seconds where Skinner no longer had the puck and then decided to go back and get in the way. It looks like any other pick that gets set during games only he had to go out of his way to do it.

Also I agree. Good on Skinner for giving the boys a reason to get their heads out of their asses.

Edit: We won't get into the slash from Calgary. I thought that was weak as hell too :laugh:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's exactly why I thought it was a bad call, until I realized there was no call. Because there was 3 seconds where Skinner no longer had the puck and then decided to go back and get in the way. It looks like any other pick that gets set during games only he had to go out of his way to do it.

Also I agree. Good on Skinner for giving the boys a reason to get their heads out of their asses.

Edit: We won't get into the slash from Calgary. I thought that was weak as hell too :laugh:
Well...we arent going to agree at all on the details of the Skinner/Couts play.
I just dont think that the way you are framing it is particularily accurate. It was a pick but not nearly as exaggerated as you are making it out to be.
Might just be semantics.

In any event I appreciate that we can disagree in a civil way. :)

At least we can agree about Skinner and his gamesmanship. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: GOilers88

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Skinner doesn’t move into his path, he just stops moving out of it.

That would be an interference penalty if skinner was a player and even more so if he’s a goalie.

He’s not obligated to move out of the way.

Not sure how you’ve watched that video over and over and think skinner moves into his path

Reactions: TB12

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Skinner doesn’t move into his path, he just stops moving out of it.

That would be an interference penalty if skinner was a player and even more so if he’s a goalie.

He’s not obligated to move out of the way.

Not sure how you’ve watched that video over and over and think skinner moves into his path
Skinner did readjust at the last second but it was such a minor adjustment that it didnt really objectively change his on ice position much at all. He still occupied the same part of the ice.

I completely agree with you about Skinner not being obligated to move out of the way.
That is his ice...he established his position there and Couts ran over him.

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad