Post-Game Talk: Ba Bada Bum Bada Bum Bada Bum

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Small sample size?

In 51 games without McD in the lineup Drai has 53 points

Call me crazy but being over a ppg player sounds like the opposite of what you're claiming
You can be 2xPPG player and still get benched. See last night. I am not claiming that Draisaitl can't get to 100pts+ .. I am claiming that Henrique is a better 2C and Draisaitl should stick on McLine either as W or C.

So once again what winger at ES has Draisaitl really clicked with in the last 8 yrs?

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
33 games experience Jimmi. It's going to take time, the Oilers need to stop throwing away young assets.
They don't need to waive anybody right now. They have their 7 D, just keep working with these guys to find a fit because there is no cavalry coming. If they sign a Shattenkirk or Schutlz then you waive Dermott.
Need to grow Emberson. Can't waive him already. There is a player in there. New team, new system, new partner(s). Give him some time.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Lol, he signed the deal and took one of the most childish penalties I've seen an NHL took. The guy is dirty and brings this shit on himself.

He's incredibly talented, but he brings all the criticism from media and fans on himself. I'm sure when he's in his 30s, he'll grow up and realize you can't act the way he does, but he does this too himself.
So you dislike the player then?

Damn Drai for getting paid what almost any team in league would want to pay him.

Any player that gets targeted as much as this including Mackinnon ends up reacting, blowing gaskets etc. Neither you or I comprehend anything close to the pressure these players face. Even Mess would take bad penalties and go over the edge and its the mercurial fire in a player like that which is the double edged sword you either accept or not.

With Drai you take the good and the bad. The imperfection of being human if you will.

Drai will get better, as he always does, and a lot of people will be saying again to stop them when they start shitting on Drai again. just saying

Are you really supporting our media over Drai. C'mon.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Just sign Schultz or Shattenkirk already, send Dermott down on waivers since he's unlikely to be claimed and roll with

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Stetcher
Kulak Schultz/Shatt
Emberson

Honestly too I think the hysteria over Josh Brown making some mistakes in preseason was stupid too.

He's a huge body who can play physical and was a plus player on a bad Arizona team last year, the whole "I've seen everything I need to see on a player in 20 minutes and I know I automatically don't like this player" shit is so stupid.

He should get a look at some point here too, we could use the physicality.
Personally I don't think I'd go back to Jultz again, but if Shattenkirk would want to sign I'd give it a go.

I agree about the rest. Every year I'm constantly reminded all season that the regular season doesn't matter. But then like clockwork people start losing their cool before the season even really starts.

While I'm consistently inclined to say the team has earned my faith through repeatedly showing they're a good team capable of clawing back, I do also have to acknowledge that I stopped myself from posting it the other night when it occured to me that them clawing back the last two seasons was reliant on a coach being fired. So im left thinking there is something inherently f***ed about this core wanting to be prepared, and actually being prepared to play when they need to play.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Its tough to control the passion sometimes. Were a passionate fanbase and this team could make it a bit easier on themselves and ourselves sometimes.
Yeah, for sure I was on edge yesterday. The game going down the wire before we pulled it out of fire didn't help with that. Mostly its the NHL jobbing us on my mind, and for sure after the Calgary game. First game in awhile last night where I was on edge of seat. Was actually nervous.

Reactions: TB12

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I don't get the flak Bouchard takes on this board either. Seems like people really want to carve our star players every time out. I barely read GDT's but Booch was getting it yesterday and in this thread. Yet he heroically scores tying goal with minutes left, without which the team is 0-4. Booch has been pretty good for early season. Takes a bit longer for skill players to unpack. The bobbles at blueline he's being blamed for every day are in many cases ill advised passes back.

Oilers of course run a one D PP. Booch being only one back. I've seen the club mail him 50/50 pucks back there which isn't so great. Happened 1min into the season. Booch has saved a lot of pucks that shouldn't even have been passed to him. Essentially our PP thus far has been McDrai and Booch passing it around because Nuge and Hyman haven't found their game. This is asking a lot of a one D back. Its asking for some disasters the degree to which we play puck back to Booch. Meanwhile guys like Perry hit a goal post and have a fight and they're apparently hero's on the board despite being so limited they play only 7mins. A team serious about winning it all shouldn't even have players like this with bit minutes, that can only handle bit minutes.
Bouch is the least of this teams problems.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I wouldn't mind seeing Josh Brown in the lineup for a few games if Dermott doesn't improve. I don't think he's a good player, but I do think the team could use a little bit of extra jam.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Bouch is the least of this teams problems.
Yeah. The board is getting back to a longstanding habit of heaping scorn on all our top players and holding up minimal contributions as if they are great. This team goes nowhere last season without McDrai, Hyman, Booch having super seasons and playoffs.

Even thankful that we have these players. without which I would have turned the channel by now.

One of the oddest things and without even irony is the McD thread. Its been resurrected and segues from last years season and playoffs where McD is Jesus Christ to plaintiff cries of WTF is wrong with McD. ;) All on the same page. The juxtaposition is unreal.

We're a fanbase.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
So there's struggling to get used to teammates and a system, and there's looking overwhelmed on the ice. Emberson looks overwhelmed, like the NHL game, it's speed and what he needs to do is too much for him.

This is a problem.
The Oilers need a true 2RD to bump all of their #6, #7, #8 journeymen guys down to realistic minutes and competition. Thinking they could airlift a 30 game NHL player into second pair responsibilities was always a reach. Add that Nurse was recovering from injury most of camp and little game time situational play with the two.

There's okay raw elements to his game, okay size, and age which makes resetting into a #6 a reasonable fallback. Fix 2RD and the platoon pieces of Emberson, Stetcher and Dermot can better keep their heads above water. Problems abound in all areas - 2.5% shooting and offensive production, erratic goaltending, PK and PP - so one new support player hasn't been the difference between losing and winning.

Reactions: GOilers88

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The Oilers need a true 2RD to bump all of their #6, #7, #8 journeymen guys down to realistic minutes and competition. Thinking they could airlift a 30 game NHL player into second pair responsibilities was always a reach. Add that Nurse was recovering from injury most of camp and little game time situational play with the two.

There's okay raw elements to his game, okay size, and age which makes resetting into a #6 a reasonable fallback. Fix 2RD and the platoon pieces of Emberson, Stetcher and Dermot can better keep their heads above water. Problems abound in all areas - 2.5% shooting and offensive production, erratic goaltending, PK and PP - so one new support player hasn't been the difference between losing and winning.
You are correct, but my issue isn't with Emberson with Nurse, my issue is he doesn't look like can handle the NHL at all.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Digging the bottom 6 right now. Mostly doing the right things. Quite a bit of skill down there.

Stetcher had a good game. Hopefully can provide some stability with nurse.

Kulak had a rough game. Same with Emberson but I’d like to give that pairing a bit more time.

Drai and McDavid came to life for a bit. Hope it continues.

Hyman and nuge have started slow.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Some very promising signs last night. Firstly I absolutely loved Stetcher stepping up against a much bigger and stronger guy in Couturier. That's the 2nd game in a row that our goalie got roughed up a bit and the smallest guy on our team decided to do something about it. Full marks to him!

Jeff Skinner looked great for us again, he is as advertised as an ES threat offensively. I love his shooters mentality. He doesn't wait until everything is perfect, he just lets the puck fly to create a rebound or score clean.

Brown and Henrique getting on the board is huge for the confidence of our bottom 6.

Bouchard had a shooters mentality and he left a mark on the game and the Flyers players. How many Flyers were hobbled by eating Bouch bombs? He scored the late tying goal and had Hyman not been in the crease he likely would've had 2 goals last night.

Stu did enough to pull out a win while our team clearly isn't at their best. Good on him for holding the fort while we continue to sort our game out.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You are correct, but my issue isn't with Emberson with Nurse, my issue is he doesn't look like can handle the NHL at all.
Right now he looks like a young player that is worried about making mistakes. His passing was clearly off last night while it was a strength in preseason. If he still had waiver eligibility I would send him down and bring Brown back up.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
my apology for that. I get stuck on a topic and some tunnel vision. For some reason I found the game last night frustrating. Shouldn't have posted. Sorry again
All good. You and I go way back and I know you are a good poster. We all get carried away sometimes, I know that firsthand haha

• Love
Reactions: Drivesaitl

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Watch some OOT games and we're getting the skakiest goaltending outside of Colorado. Calgary game last night both goalies were rocking it. Lots of scoring chances, lots of shots, low scoring game. When do we ever give up as much as Calgary and get the goalie just shutting the door like that.

Thanks for the reply. I do think we put a lot on him and also due to how much Nurse has struggled. Lets not forget the weight Booch is shouldering so quickly. D take a lot of time and right now Booch is the D that all opponents are targeting because he's such a huge part of our offense.

The guy ran PPG numbers last season as a D. Thats world beating level stuff. So he's sure earned my trust and benefit of doubt.
Agreed completely. It’s rare when a goalie steals a game for us. It would be nice for a change when we have a bad streak to have a goalie good enough to steal us. A few wins.

Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Right now he looks like a young player that is worried about making mistakes. His passing was clearly off last night while it was a strength in preseason. If he still had waiver eligibility I would send him down and bring Brown back up.

Yeah I think Brown should eventually be given a look.

The piling on him for preaseason when the entire team was sleep walking was dumb.

He hits more than Desharnais (2.1 hits/game last year versus 1.7 hits for Desharnais) and had decent metrics last year on a bad team.

If we have him on the bottom pair and Nurse on the 2nd pair at least you know you have a big body on the ice for most of the game who can get into scrums if need be.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Gonna be an interesting game tomorrow. One fanbase won’t be happy.
Preds are really struggling. But probably going to get a lot of tongue lashing before game on Thursday. See if they show up. When teams get offensive help it seems often they initially struggle.

I don't see Preds as a contender. Contender only to be battling for a WC spot in last games. Marshassault and Stamkos of course well past prime. Preds are also a very old team. Difference even that their old players are going to be getting most of the minutes.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Agreed completely. It’s rare when a goalie steals a game for us. It would be nice for a change when we have a bad streak to have a goalie good enough to steal us. A few wins.

Cam Talbot in 2016-17 and Mike Smith (various seasons) are the only two guys who have stolen games for us in net on a more than once in a blue moon kind of way.

Preds are really struggling. But probably going to get a lot of tongue lashing before game on Thursday. See if they show up. When teams get offensive help it seems often they initially struggle.

I don't see Preds as a contender. Contender only to be battling for a WC spot in last games. Marshassault and Stamkos of course well past prime.

Marchessault literally scored a career high 42 goals last season, lol.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think he can keep his head above water as a 3RD. 2:44 PK minutes last night in a close game - mind you one with too many penalties including a 5 min and other d penalties that maybe stretched his PK time on ice.

Emberson was always going to be a work in progress. There's a one year runway history with the coach. He's going to get runway to stabilize his game as a 3RD. With his cheap expiring contract and right handedness he would be a waiver wire risk unlike Brown and Stetcher with term deals.

Four games is too soon to make reactive decisions on this player. Especially when the team's issues are across the line-up and all facets of the game. Last night's deployment and support PK work is a positive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad