Post-Game Talk: Ba Bada Bum Bada Bum Bada Bum

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Skinner was ass last night in the first period and looked shaky. I give him full credit for battling through and recovering but he was one shot away from collapse. He had an extremely strong 3rd period though and looked way better

Hopefully it’s a start of a of a turn around from him. He went into last night with an .80 sv%.
Yup. He still scares me, but if not for that weird deflected third goal he had a good save percentage last night

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Not sure why its taken so long to play Nurse with Stetcher. They looked decent together in small sample size last year. Stetcher has also played a lot more games.

To be fair to Emberson, he’s kinda been set up to fail. It’s really hard to look good next to Nurse. Should of been started on bottom pairing to get some reps in.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Emberson might very well get picked up if he gets waived. That would be a mistake, perhaps a big mistake IMO.
No, it wouldn't be really. It gives them cap space to sign Shattenkirk if they want, and from what I've seen of him, he's doesn't process things at the NHL level.

They have guys in the system who can play above him, they can also go get depth guys that can handle bottom pairing minutes in the NHL.

Like he played 10 mins last night and they don't trust him to kill penalties, so what does he do then?

Dermott has not been good.

Also not sure why you’d give up on Emberson this early.

Any RD that is waived is going to be replaced by Josh Brown. Be careful what you wish for.
Dermott has been fine, he's just a bottom pairing, 6/7 defenseman, but he can process the game at the NHL level. Emberson does not look like he can. He looks overwhelmed and lost on the ice.

I don't want Josh Brown back, I've been VERY CLEAR about that.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
This board knew that. Knoblauch didn't.
The board never had a consensus .. many were against his signing and knew he would be nothing more than a #7/8

No one expected him to be as good or better than Ceci

Also, I think Kulak is a bigger problem than Emberson this season

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Not sure if this is scsarcasm.
Drai's inability to run his own line is a proven fact that we see year after year but choose to ignore it because he ends the night with a point or two.

Also, who t f started calling Arvi 'RV ' here?

Weren't the Draisaitl lines amongst the best in the NHL both times Connor was hurt?
What are talking about "proven fact"?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Weren't the Draisaitl lines amongst the best in the NHL both times Connor was hurt?
What are talking about "proven fact"?
Small sample size from a long time ago and that line had Yamamoto on it.
Name me 2 wingers Drai has had great success with for a stretch. Or even easier, name me just one at ES.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Its old talent getting older. You need the young legs in the playoffs and we don't have any. Add that up.

Will this team score goals. Sure it will. Will it give up a lot? sure it will. How fresh do you think all these older horses will look in May and June. Perry was only decent for some games last year because he had most of the season off resting. Brown only arrived in playoffs because he was underperforming all season. WE've seen how dead Ryan and Janmark are.

This is a club that had monumental difficulty beating the sorry Flyers in a home game they had to have.

Of the new players Skinner has been better than I thought he would be here. But thats it.
In May and June Foegele and McLeod showed they don't have what it takes to win. Foegele went brain dead mode and got himself thrown out of a game. Mcleod has ZERO grit and could not win a board battle to save his life.

Those two bums wouldn't have contributed jack tonight

Reactions: Duke74 and TB12

North

Jun 25, 2009
No, it wouldn't be really. It gives them cap space to sign Shattenkirk if they want, and from what I've seen of him, he's doesn't process things at the NHL level.

They have guys in the system who can play above him, they can also go get depth guys that can handle bottom pairing minutes in the NHL.

Like he played 10 mins last night and they don't trust him to kill penalties, so what does he do then?

Dermott has been fine, he's just a bottom pairing, 6/7 defenseman, but he can process the game at the NHL level. Emberson does not look like he can. He looks overwhelmed and lost on the ice.

I don't want Josh Brown back, I've been VERY CLEAR about that.
That’s what you’d get.

We actually do have the money to sign him. Waiving Dermott and keeping Emberson would be the proper play.

Pissing away another young player for no good reason other than impatience is ridiculous.

Reactions: Pip

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Exactly. He’s had some growing pains but he has also shown some flashes of what he could be if we’re patient.

It’s way too early to write him off.

I think he's sticking around. 34 games under his belt only. And he goes from one of the biggest turd teams ever to a team that is supposed to be a top contender. He has history with the Knob too. I think we will get time to adjust.

Reactions: Oilhawks and LTIR

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I am also obsessed with Drai just on the other side of the spectrum. Loved the mini benching.. just what he needed to get going.
No on should be above being bench, even McDavid. McDrai looks like ass this ass. They need to get going and start making smart plays.

McDavid was awful last night and blew a f***ing OT breakaway. McDavid has lost his touch, his passing was awful, on the PP he couldn’t hit Drai despite many attempts, he put it in his skates or missed out right. He looks behind the play and is doing a lot of ice, but accomplishing nothing, just like Taylor Hall did, we know he is capable of more, so does he, I know he will right it, but something looks up.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
That’s what you’d get.

We actually do have the money to sign him. Waiving Dermott and keeping Emberson would be the proper play.

Pissing away another young player for no good reason other than impatience is ridiculous.
Agreed. Early returns on Emberson are not good but it’s still super early, he hasn’t played real games in a while and doesn’t have many under his belt. All that while playing for a team struggling to find their game. Not sure any regular defender has had a good start to the year

Reactions: TB12

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Perry is playing exactly like you want a fourth line winger to play, I have no issue with his game.

It would be nice to see a little more speed and size in the lineup, wouldn't mind a Philp Ryan switch.

The top guys are just not clicking, passes are off and guys are holding on to the puck too long. It'll be really interesting to see if Nuge ever gets going again, he's just invisible out there.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Agreed. Early returns on Emberson are not good but it’s still super early, he hasn’t played real games in a while and doesn’t have many under his belt. All that while playing for a team struggling to find their game. Not sure any regular defender has had a good start to the year
So there's struggling to get used to teammates and a system, and there's looking overwhelmed on the ice. Emberson looks overwhelmed, like the NHL game, it's speed and what he needs to do is too much for him.

This is a problem.

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
Watching that replay of the OT winner and can anybody figure out what the philly player was doing on that OT goal. It looks like he just decided to go for a change with his team outmanned in the d zone. Just weird to see somehow our guys so wide open for so long.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Like, hello? What is even happening. I've never seen him anywhere close to this bad before. His entire career the worst he's been in the NHL is "invisible" but he's currently just... complete dogshit. After being a lethal swiss army knife in the playoffs. Not surprising both the PK and PP have tanked.

View attachment 917252
RNH plays at 1 speed. That's it/ He has no "extra gear". Watch him race to pucks in the corners. He gets beat constantly and outmuscled. He is what he is.

Oilers would probably have been sipping champagne from the Cup with a healthy Stecher in the playoffs. It would only take a bit more to push them over the line and I think that would have done it.
Frustrating for sure. His freak injury. Drai being cheap shotted by Giraffe Myers and his finger hurting from that Cucks series. Kane not being able to play. Skinner. Still took them to 7

Reactions: Duke74

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Not sure if this is scsarcasm.
Drai's inability to run his own line is a proven fact that we see year after year but choose to ignore it because he ends the night with a point or two.

Also, who t f started calling Arvi 'RV ' here?
I think we need to accept that McDrai is just to good of a duo and play them together most nights. We have the C depth to run 3 pretty good duo's in McDrai, RNH-Hyman and Henrique-Brown.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
So there's struggling to get used to teammates and a system, and there's looking overwhelmed on the ice. Emberson looks overwhelmed, like the NHL game, it's speed and what he needs to do is too much for him.

This is a problem.
I don’t even disagree but I think it’s early to write him off completely. Play as the 6/7 for a stretch and then make a call 30 ish games in.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Small sample size?
Small sample size from a long time ago and that line had Yamamoto on it.
Name me 2 wingers Drai has had great success with for a stretch. Or even easier, name me just one at ES.

In 51 games without McD in the lineup Drai has 53 points

Call me crazy but being over a ppg player sounds like the opposite of what you're claiming

Reactions: Duke74 and TB12

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

No it would be stupid. Emberson is a 24 year old Dman with 33 games of NHL experience, it was be stupid to waive him for the sake of signing another old guy. The Oilers need to develop cheap young talent. Emberson has ability, he just needs more reps. It would be lunacy to toss him to the waiver wire without a trial run.

The Oilers have nobody in the system that's ready. Wanner and Akey are a long way off, Kemp has virtually no upside. They need to work with Emberson and give him opportunity to grow into a role, enough with throwing away young assets already.

Reactions: TB12 and North

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad