Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Ryan Murray (One year, $2M)

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Avs are going to add another piece, as Richard said.

They aren't just going to piss away that cap space. I'm excited to see what they do because I think it will be a trade.
I’d say they bank it, study the team and scout other players all year, get a perfect understanding of the addition that’s needed and add him at the deadline. This also allows them to keep JTC as depth. Can never hurt to have a guy like that as your 12th or 13th forward who can slide up a spot or two if injuries happen.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I’d say they bank it, study the team and scout other players all year, get a perfect understanding of the addition that’s needed and add him at the deadline. This also allows them to keep JTC as depth. Can never hurt to have a guy like that as your 12th or 13th forward who can slide up a spot or two if injuries happen.
And when EJ inevitably goes down with an injury, that's 6M more to spend at the deadline.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Oilers board not happy...they wanted Ryan Murray

FzYUJdP.png

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Like this signing with the price and term. Thought he would have been a good fit a couple years ago too.

I wish they could have found someone with a little more size, but Murray should help on the PK, and be a good stabilizing presence for a puck moving partner though if he can stay healthy.

This should help the team off the ice too. He's kind of like the veteran Saad replacement in the locker room.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This is why it’s best to lurk for wave two of free agency. Get a budget beast, or two and move along without crippling the cap long term.

I always want the Avs to take advantage of this, but they almost never do. Glad they did this year.

You can always find bargain deals if you wait a little longer until after their other options disappear. Then you can get cheap deals with low term.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't know if Joe just isn't aggressively trying to move Compher or he just has too much negative value, but it seems odd to me to pinch pennies on everyone else's deal, and then willingly keep JTC around at $3.5M.

Other than being an overpaid bottom 6er with his 3.5M AAV, his contract is dumb AF and he's owed 4.5M in real dollars for the upcoming season. That makes him even harder to trade, especially to teams with an internal budget like the Jackets.

I don't f***ing know what Sakic was thinking when he signed that contract.

Reactions: Foppa2118

R2daV

Apr 8, 2018
Trade Kadri at the TDL for a 2022 1st round pick. Not sure what we can get for JTC? Maybe a 3rd rounder?
If Kadri’s value is a 1st rounder at the deadline, we’d likely be keeping him for the playoffs

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Isn't this a few years overdue (Jenner + Murray + 2nd <> Duchene)? :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, good signing. Looks like the underlying numbers weren't good last year, but he was definitely one of the Devils best defensemen last season.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Good pick up but he's a leftie. Does anyone know if he can play on the right side? If so..

Toews-Makar
Girard-EJ
Byram-Murray

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Other than being an overpaid bottom 6er with his 3.5M AAV, his contract is dumb AF and he's owed 4.5M in real dollars for the upcoming season. That makes him even harder to trade, especially to teams with an internal budget like the Jackets.

I don't f***ing know what Sakic was thinking when he signed that contract.
I mean to be fair Compher was trending to being a 20-20 Swiss Army knife type. At the time I totally got it. I mean even last year the guy wasn’t far off pacing for 20-20. It’s just this weird thing they have with him being able to play C when he’s an ECHL level player at that position.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Nice to see the Avs close the deal here, because I believe Friedman said there were 5 deals on the table for him.

I was kinda disappointed they whiffed on Kase, so it’s positive the front office still has some persuasion ability.

Reactions: Richard88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad