Confirmed with Link: Avs Sign Oliver Kylington to 1-Year Deal (1x$1.05)

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Given his verrrrrrrrry lengthy injury history the answer is "Uh, no, he cannot handle physicality."

I think I've already used this clip once before but this is how I imagine his shoulders are nowadays.

Oh well. He played about 60 games last year for Tampa. If he gives us 60 games, that’s all we can ask for anyway

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Isn’t DeHaan bit physical? Or not necessarily physical like throwing big hits and stuff but can handle physicality. He pretty much replaces JJ on bottom pair and we have the same D core but deeper with Brannstrom and Kylington. There will probably be more moves at the trade deadline, perhaps a right handed physical D.
Not really... he's always been on the softer side, especially for his size.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
The bottom pair is soft right now, but I'd imagine that the plan is to add a big RHD at the deadline who can complement Kylington and roll into the playoffs with:

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Kylington - RHD
DeHaan - Brännström

Savard, Rutta, Hamonic all pending UFA RHD on teams that won't make the playoffs.

Malinski will be given a chance at 3rd RHD to start for sure, given he has to go thru waivers now.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We gonna have a deep blueline. We can still get a physical RD at the deadline. I think it’s time to trade Girard for some forward depth.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
At the beginning of the off-season, all I really wanted on D was to ensure that we got a third pair dman that was more like Manson and less like Girard.

CMac signed MacDonald, Brannstrom, de Haan, and Kylington. He obviously sees a different need than me, so what am I missing?

Reactions: CobraAcesS

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Inconsistent, can't shoot, will miss some time, heading to Europe after his deal will expire.

Waste of a spot (should of nurtured some prospect instead).

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If he gives the Avs that many games I'll be stunned.
Hopefully Kylington and Brännström can play well enough that De Haan gets pushed to 8th on the depth chart after a 3rd pairing RHD gets added at the TDL.

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Kylington - RHD
De Haan - Brännström

MacDonald - Malinski
Behrens - Rosen

That's pretty good depth, with Rosen effectively being the 11th guy and having NHL experience.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
At the beginning of the off-season, all I really wanted on D was to ensure that we got a third pair dman that was more like Manson and less like Girard.

CMac signed MacDonald, Brannstrom, de Haan, and Kylington. He obviously sees a different need than me, so what am I missing?
supply and demand

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Maybe put some work in to get the names correct.
Just wanted to let you know that I liked and then disliked your post about 15 times so I could like it more than once. I ended on the laugh emoticon though because I feel that dudes pain: Goloubef and Kasparaitis kinda tripped me up amongst Avs that have played for us at times. (I keep wanting to swap the o and u in Cody's name and always forget the first i in Darius'.

However, I'll be damned if I've ever spelled Lefebvre, Leschyshyn, Tjarnqvist, Tyutin, or Wiercioch correctly without using ctrl-c, ctrl-v. :laugh:

[edit...and like clockwork, I actually had to edit this post for a gross mis-spelling. *LOL* I actually tried the grammerly app, but it is worse than me at hockey names, tries to force hyphens in the most akward places and has an absolute hard-on for the oxford comma that I'll never be able to fully understand. The use of the word "and" or "or" should be enough to separate the final item in the list, no need to waste a character on an extra ","].

Last edited:

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
We gonna have a deep blueline. We can still get a physical RD at the deadline. I think it’s time to trade Girard for some forward depth.
The Avs should absolutely NOT be making any moves at this point. We still have no idea what we have in the forwards (with the uncertainty of Nuke and Gabe), and we have no idea the quality of play that the defense will provide. They need to take a wait and see approach.

If the Avs keep Nuke and Landeskog has semblance of form, we have 7 top 6 forwards.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The Avs should absolutely NOT be making any moves at this point. We still have no idea what we have in the forwards (with the uncertainty of Nuke and Gabe), and we have no idea the quality of play that the defense will provide. They need to take a wait and see approach.

If the Avs keep Nuke and Landeskog has semblance of form, we have 7 top 6 forwards.
That’s why I said at the trade deadline. We should know by then if Nuke and Landy gonna be back

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
That’s why I said at the trade deadline. We should know by then if Nuke and Landy gonna be back
Sorry, didn’t see the deadline part of the post. I assumed you meant make a deal now, or before the season starts.

I was thrown off by part where you said it’s time to trade Girard. It seemed like you implied right away.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Do folks really think Landy's situation is going to persist until the deadline?

I've always kinda thought that he would be ready or close to by training camp... and if he wasn't, then a re-evaluation of whether or not he's coming back at all would most certainly have to take place. I just can't see CMac be willing to go another full season with uncertaity. Sure, he can start it with uncertainty but he will want to know fairly early on what he's shopping for at the deadline becauase if he's got 7M to play with it's a drastically different scenario and will dramatically effect what/who we are willing to spend our dwindling assets on.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Sorry, didn’t see the deadline part of the post. I assumed you meant make a deal now, or before the season starts.

I was thrown off by part where you said it’s time to trade Girard. It seemed like you implied right away.
Nah. We can’t make any big trades for forwards without knowing if Val and Landy are coming back or not. If they are coming back, we dont need to trade Girard for a top 6 forward, but even if one of them isn’t coming back, we gonna need a top 6 winger

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Nah. We can’t make any big trades for forwards without knowing if Val and Landy are coming back or not. If they are coming back, we dont need to trade Girard for a top 6 forward, but even if one of them isn’t coming back, we gonna need a top 6 winger
1. Rants
2. Lehky
3. Drouin
4. Pick of Val or Landy

If Val is actually not on coke but still top six worthy or if Gabe is top-six worthy, that is still a solid top-six. Is it good enoug? With Nate on the top line, yes, with Mitts on the second? Remains to be seen, but I'm cautiously optimistic?

Point is, if we trade Girard, to add someone to knock one of those four above into the third line, I'm really concerned about what our blue line is going to look like.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Do folks really think Landy's situation is going to persist until the deadline?

I've always kinda thought that he would be ready or close to by training camp... and if he wasn't, then a re-evaluation of whether or not he's coming back at all would most certainly have to take place. I just can't see CMac be willing to go another full season with uncertaity. Sure, he can start it with uncertainty but he will want to know fairly early on what he's shopping for at the deadline becauase if he's got 7M to play with it's a drastically different scenario and will dramatically effect what/who we are willing to spend our dwindling assets on.
We should know Landy situation when season starts, and Nuke is suspended until November so…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad