Confirmed with Link: Avs Sign Oliver Kylington to 1-Year Deal (1x$1.05)

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Another player with mental health problems in our roster (i hope he's fine now)
Those mental players have worked quite well for us, even if they self-destructive in the end. Kadri, Nuke. Kadri destroyed himself first but redeemed himself later. Nuke proved everyone wrong and then destroyed himself.

Add Drouin too.

Bargain bin players always have some flaws.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
If Brannstrom was going to be the 6th D and gets pushed out of the lineup by Kylington the biggest losers will be us suckers who watch this team for 82 games and think the Avs have a shot in the playoffs.
So true not sure what the plan is you tend to need at least two bigger physical D if nothing for PK. Right now we have Manson and that’s about it…

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Very happy with this. We needed another NHL caliber damn.
1. One of our D will get injured, and I'd rather leave the AHLers in the AHL.
2. De haan, Brannstrom, Kylington any of these guys could end up just being bad. Hooray put that dude in the press box, play the other two.

Anyone saying this means we trade G is straight up crazy.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
So true not sure what the plan is you tend to need at least two bigger physical D if nothing for PK. Right now we have Manson and that’s about it…
De Haan can PK.

In any case this team will look much different post trade deadline than before. This defence is good enough to comfortably make the playoffs even push for the division. We'll definitely need to target a solid stay at home dman at the deadline tho.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The bottom pair is soft right now, but I'd imagine that the plan is to add a big RHD at the deadline who can complement Kylington and roll into the playoffs with:

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Kylington - RHD
DeHaan - Brännström

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I like the gambling on upside moves in isolation but the overall composition looks a bit dinky to my liking.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The bottom pair is soft right now, but I'd imagine that the plan is to add a big RHD at the deadline who can complement Kylington and roll into the playoffs with:

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Kylington - RHD
DeHaan - Brännström

The whole defense is soft. Yeah Makar can throw some hits from time to time, but he's not a physical guy. Nor is Toews. Manson is the only guy there routinely throws the body.

What's kinda funny/interesting... G would have the 3rd highest hits/60 of that whole group last season. Manson > CDH > G > Kylington > Toews > Brannstrom > Makar :laugh:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Delete. Delete. I eat meat.

Too early to say steal... this could easily be a Tatar situation. Kylington didn't look good upon his return. This is a low dollar bet on a guy returning to form of a few seasons ago (which was his only really good season in the NHL). Still this is a shot worth taking.

Uh yes he did. The Flames were an AHL roster plus Kylington, Weegar, Andersson, and the Kadri/Zary line when Kylington came back. And he didn't play with Weegar or Andersson, even though any sane couch would have played Kylington - Weegar as their top pair.

You guys got a heckuva defenseman, perfect stick, incredible skating defensively, good with the puck, and really good vision.

Weaknesses are that his coaches in Calgary (which for 100% of his time here including the AHL has always included Ryan Huska who never stopped treating him like an 18 year old in the AHL) have outside of one year (2021-22) always misused him on the ice. Kylington - Manson will be a good second pair, and Manson will be the weak point. The only reason it isn't a first pair is because you guys have the best first pair in the league right now.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Uh yes he did. The Flames were an AHL roster plus Kylington, Weegar, Andersson, and the Kadri/Zary line when Kylington came back. And he didn't play with Weegar or Andersson, even though any sane couch would have played Kylington - Weegar as their top pair.

You guys got a heckuva defenseman, perfect stick, incredible skating defensively, good with the puck, and really good vision.

Weaknesses are that his coaches in Calgary (which for 100% of his time here including the AHL has always included Ryan Huska who never stopped treating him like an 18 year old in the AHL) have outside of one year (2021-22) always misused him on the ice. Kylington - Manson will be a good second pair, and Manson will be the weak point. The only reason it isn't a first pair is because you guys have the best first pair in the league right now.
My eyes saw it differently. He looked lost and made a lot of mistakes. He gave up dangerous chances at a high rates and generally didn't look that good. Even moving the puck, which is his calling card, he didn't look nearly like he did a couple years prior. Potentially not being paired with Tanev has something to do with this... but I give the benefit of the doubt and say rust.

To go along with this, the advanced stats back this up. He gave up a ton more chances than most on the team. His xGF% reli for guys who played 30+ games was only better than Gilbert and Andersson. His xGA/60 relative was .44. Meaning he'd give up just under half goal more per 60 minutes played (his actual was .48 so slightly exceeded that).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It's really soft. Big dmen that can play are in high demand.

The best "bang for the buck" on the market is smaller puck moving LD's.
The whole league is basically going after the model of let your top pairing be whatever type of offensive tilted D you can get your hands on... and let them attack full tilt. Then your bottom 4 have to be guys who can hold it down, play good defense, and hit. Which has left a glut of these types of defensemen. Traditionally though, when a type of player is undervalued in the league, it is usually for a reason.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The whole league is basically going after the model of let your top pairing be whatever type of offensive tilted D you can get your hands on... and let them attack full tilt. Then your bottom 4 have to be guys who can hold it down, play good defense, and hit. Which has left a glut of these types of defensemen. Traditionally though, when a type of player is undervalued in the league, it is usually for a reason.
I'm still pissed that we didn't trade for Kovacevic. He's not a great dman but he makes only 765k AAV and is exactly the bottom pairing RD that the team needed. He's 6'5 and has some puck moving and PK abilities.

Devils only paid a 4th for him ffs. That's a steal.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The whole defense is soft. Yeah Makar can throw some hits from time to time, but he's not a physical guy. Nor is Toews. Manson is the only guy there routinely throws the body.

What's kinda funny/interesting... G would have the 3rd highest hits/60 of that whole group last season. Manson > CDH > G > Kylington > Toews > Brannstrom > Makar :laugh:
Isn’t DeHaan bit physical? Or not necessarily physical like throwing big hits and stuff but can handle physicality. He pretty much replaces JJ on bottom pair and we have the same D core but deeper with Brannstrom and Kylington. There will probably be more moves at the trade deadline, perhaps a right handed physical D.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Isn’t DeHaan bit physical? Or not necessarily physical like throwing big hits and stuff but can handle physicality. He pretty much replaces JJ on bottom pair and we have the same D core but deeper with Brannstrom and Kylington. There will probably be more moves at the trade deadline, perhaps a right handed physical D.
Given his verrrrrrrrry lengthy injury history the answer is "Uh, no, he cannot handle physicality."

I think I've already used this clip once before but this is how I imagine his shoulders are nowadays.

Reactions: Jazzguitar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad