Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Miles Of Wood to 6-year deal × $2.5M AAV

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
This contract looks even worse this year than last year and it already looked awful last year. Somehow has a six team no trade list for the entire contract too. Not that it would matter because I doubt anyone would be willing to take him on.

Not sure what you're watching but unless you have him in fantasy hockey or following analytics he is exactly the type player every winning team has.

Two years ago the Devils were one of the better teams in the league. Last season they missed the playoffs. The absence of Wood last year wasn't a coincidence.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Not sure what you're watching but unless you have him in fantasy hockey or following analytics he is exactly the type player every winning team has.

Two years ago the Devils were one of the better teams in the league. Last season they missed the playoffs. The absence of Wood last year wasn't a coincidence.
The absence of Miles Wood from the Devils roster wasn't why the Devils missed the playoffs.

The Devils not being able to get a save all season is why.

If the Devils would take Miles Wood back, we'd happily send him.

Reactions: Avs_19

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022

Aves fans don't know what a winning team looks like. They're ungrateful of what a Miles Wood can bring in the playoffs.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado

Couldn’t have anything to do with bad goaltending and missing their #1 center and #1 defenseman.

All about losing that 4th liner.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Miles Wood is a good player that is slightly over paid, ever so slightly.

Starting next year though and moving forward, 3rd liners are going to start making a good chunk of change more. You will regularly be seeing 3rd line wingers cashing in at 3-3.5 over the life of that contract.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Miles Wood is a good player that is slightly over paid, ever so slightly.

Starting next year though and moving forward, 3rd liners are going to start making a good chunk of change more. You will regularly be seeing 3rd line wingers cashing in at 3-3.5 over the life of that contract.
Sure, but Wood isn’t really a 3rd liner right now. So he’s overpaid and only going to be getting worse for the most part.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
We're complaining because he sucks.
He's been fine if you accept him for what he is. Not sure what some of you are expecting, he's a 4th liner that can fill in on the 3rd line.

If this guy had a brain he'd be a top 6 player in this league with his speed.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
He's been fine if you accept him for what he is. Not sure what some of you are expecting, he's a 4th liner that can fill in on the 3rd line.
I agree with this take.

Wood hasn't been great, hasn't been awful (mostly talking about last season, since this season's roster has been such a mess so far). Has good speed and works hard, pops in some goals here and there. Not really sure what the fuss is about.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida

If he was on the 4th line then I wouldn't care as much but at this point with the injuries, he's spending too much time in the top 9. He's not good enough to be anything other than a 4th liner and constantly takes dumb penalties. I know it's not his fault that he's playing up the lineup but it's still way annoying to have the guy locked up for as long as he is to only be as good as he is.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't like that the Avs signed a guy long-term who needs so much around him in order to be successful. He needs a defensively responsible linemate (or two), he needs to be deployed a certain way, he needs to have his minutes limited. He's getting paid like a versatile utility guy and he has no utility whatsoever. When he's successful, he's a joy to watch, but I'm seeing far too little of that.

O'Connor signed a similar deal and brings SO much more to the table.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

The issue is 2.5m AAV for said 4th liner.

Reactions: Pokecheque

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
He earned some more leeway with me with that epic end-to-end OT winner against Dallas in the playoffs.

As long as he can keep the stupid penalties to a minimum and not have to use his brain much, he’s fine as a bottom 6 player.
Agreed.

After all of these years posting in here, I've just come to accept that this fan base needs a whipping boy every season. Not sure why Giorgiev doesn't do the trick, but evidently Wood is our man this time around.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Problem is… Wood is probably an AHL level player in a couple years.
I'll worry about that year's problem that year. For this year, Wood is the least of my issues when looking over the roster...even when taking his cap into account. The dude shows up nightly and works his ass off. At this point, that is almost enough alone to elevate him into the top half of the roster.

I agree, if he's an AHL player it's bad but he's currently providing value to the team just by being a healthy player who pretty much has Bednar's complete trust...even at 2.5M.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I don't like that the Avs signed a guy long-term who needs so much around him in order to be successful. He needs a defensively responsible linemate (or two), he needs to be deployed a certain way, he needs to have his minutes limited. He's getting paid like a versatile utility guy and he has no utility whatsoever. When he's successful, he's a joy to watch, but I'm seeing far too little of that.

O'Connor signed a similar deal and brings SO much more to the table.
I agree in that I prefer LOC, but the reason Wood is more expensive is that we had to outbid other teams in UFA.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'll worry about that year's problem that year. For this year, Wood is the least of my issues when looking over the roster...even when taking his cap into account. The dude shows up nightly and works his ass off. At this point, that is almost enough alone to elevate him into the top half of the roster.

I agree, if he's an AHL player it's bad but he's currently providing value to the team just by being a healthy player who pretty much has Bednar's complete trust...even at 2.5M.
The problem with the 2.5m is that reasonably, you could find a guy on the scrap heap for 1.5m that provides 95% of what Wood does and still have 1m leftover for another capable NHL body. That way you're not trying to run out Wagner and Kelly in roles they are clearly not suited for. Sure he's down the list of problems, but the inefficient spending hurts when your top guys are paid market or near it. Which is happening currently on the Avs roster and is the future moving forward. The luxury that was afforded in this area when MacK and Kadri weren't even $11m combined just isn't there any more.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The problem with the 2.5m is that reasonably, you could find a guy on the scrap heap for 1.5m that provides 95% of what Wood does and still have 1m leftover for another capable NHL body. That way you're not trying to run out Wagner and Kelly in roles they are clearly not suited for. Sure he's down the list of problems, but the inefficient spending hurts when your top guys are paid market or near it. Which is happening currently on the Avs roster and is the future moving forward. The luxury that was afforded in this area when MacK and Kadri weren't even $11m combined just isn't there any more.
I just can't find it in me to bash Wood for making 2.5M when he shows up and plays hard every night.

Not when we are paying Nuke how much? Landy how much? Drouin how much? Lehky how much? Georgiev...not how much, but why?

When you are paying these guys that much to not play, that is the problem. Not Wood at 2.5 bouncing between the 2nd and 4th line. Especially when fully healthy he's been mostly a 3rd line player for us, even if folks would prefer for him to be on the 4th.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I just can't find it in me to bash Wood for making 2.5M when he shows up and plays hard every night.

Not when we are paying Nuke how much? Landy how much? Drouin how much? Lehky how much? Georgiev...not how much, but why?

When you are paying these guys that much to not play, that is the problem. Not Wood at 2.5 bouncing between the 2nd and 4th line. Especially when fully healthy he's been mostly a 3rd line player for us, even if folks would prefer for him to be on the 4th.
All the issues compound. I'd simply argue that as your better players start getting paid what they are worth or close to it, you simply can't afford to overpay elsewhere. In the cap world, contract efficiency is king. When you have it, you can build a fantastic team. When you don't, you rely on your top guys somehow still out performing and staying healthy. I'm not saying Wood is the largest issue with the team, he's clearly not. I am saying he is an issue though.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad