Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Kovalenko to 2-year deal

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Hench is a contrarian to the bone no doubt about it. Doesn't mean he's not right. A lot of us (including my self) have a tough time looking at this team objectively which he is probably the best at on top of a good eye for the game to begin with. Alright Tim Thomas pump my tires now. :nod::naughty:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'd expect to not get absolutely dominated in those 7 minutes... and you can't tell me Bednar didn't notice. Kovalenko had 3 shifts in the third and none with less than 9 minutes to go.

This isn't the end all be all, and we can give a pass due to the situation. If he plays like this in his second game though, he shouldn't play again in the playoffs. The time of the year is too important with too much at stake to have a guy who can't play 10-12 minutes dressing.
Not that I disagree too much with your assessment but Bednar does this with pretty well all new guys so this is not a surprise. Now consider that he is very new to NA style, he had zero practice time with the team, and it is an important game 4 in the playoffs, him not playing a lot in the 3rd should not be surprising. I do agree that I would have liked to see a bit more on the offensive side but again new linemates, no practice, etc. I'll give him a pass. I was quite happy with his defensive play though and that;s what is important to Bednar for a new player.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't think it's unfair or wrong to point out the negatives or lack of positives if you will, even when accounting for it being his first game, having no practice time, it being the playoffs, etc. I looked up and posted his numbers and the zero xGF% and CF% right after the game yesterday because I was really curious what he ended with after watching the game. I watched him run around in the defensive zone a lot and could recall only one instance of offense being created and that was on a pass in front that was broken up before it even got to him so it didn't actually lead to anything. Other than that he had a couple of hits and just a lot of chasing. Compare that to the guy he replaced, who has legit been really good prior to his injury.

With that said, he should be in the lineup next game if Kiviranta is out and I really hope they don't even consider the Wagner swap. He deserves another shot after a few more days of getting comfortable.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He "looked" fine to me for the most part, there was a bad pass attempt that got easily picked off but I didn't see many other blatant mistakes. Threw his body around and what not, but the numbers don't lie. I don't think that was a great line to put him with BTW.

The fourth and third lines essentially traded places.

Anyway, I still think that was a phenomenal overall effort from the Avs and Kovalenko did some things that were encouraging. Dude was thrown in pretty last minute so one effing game in a very high-pressure situation ain't gonna define the guy.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm holding off judging Kovy until I get to see more than 7 minutes of ice time in his first NHL game. j

As pretty much everyone has said, he had a very savvy stick defensively. But other than that sequence, I really didn't notice him but that's because he was hardly ever out there. I'm not sure if he's going to be a regular in these playoffs as Bednar can be funny with who he trusts (and I get that) but I think he did more good than bad yesterday and I look forward to his growth. The clips I saw from his AHL games were pretty decent as well. He seemed to have no trouble going to the front of the net and high traffic areas which is always one of the first things I look for. I don't think he's going to try to play a perimeter game, the little I've seen of him looks like he can fit in Bednar's system pretty well. He just needs the opportunity and time to work up the trust with Jared.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Being up 3-1 in the series is the perfect time to give him another game. If they are planning on using him as the first call up he needs to get some time not only in practice but with his linemates as well.
Exactly. At some point you have to throw them to wolves. You won't learn otherwise .

Based on CMac, they expected him to play in the playoffs but the injury hurt his chances or start. He said they didn't see him as a prospect, hence his experience and age.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It doesn't help him that Wood and Colton looked like complete idiots with and without the puck last night. Moreso than usual.
Those 2 are weird.

Play with LOC? They look like the best 3rd line in the NHL.
Play with Parise? Absolute dogshit line.
Play with Kivi? Back to the best 3rd line
Play with Kovalenko? So far it's dogshit again.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Those 2 are weird.

If we see him back these playoffs, think Landy could work with those two playing the defensively responsible one

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Those 2 are weird.

You need to think on their level to thrive
I don't think it's intelligence at all. Parise has high hockey IQ. I think it's a motor thing.

Wood and Colton kinda of need someone operating at a faster pace than them ensuring the line is sound defensively. LOC was perfect in this role this season. But then again, this is the first season he's been able to sustain third line minutes with this level of pace.

Parise's mind is perfectly willing, but the body just isn't able sustain that pace I don't think. Not for our third line. I actually like him on the second line better.

Kivi was playing with high, high pace before his injury. His speed was being disruptive.

With Kovy...it was just one game, so I don't feel right trying to label him one way or the other based on 7 minutes (of which, I probably was only really aware of two shifts). I will say those that said he wasn't good..I think they were right. He had a great defensive stick shift, but other than that simply was not noticeable. For our third line to be effective, "not noticeable" will not cut it. It needs to be a pain if the freakin' ass to play against. So in that regards, Kivi has definitely been better and probably goes right back in unless Kovy gets a second game and increases his pace. I think he will be fine eventually, I'm just not sure if he will have shown enough to prevent Kivi from getting back in when healthy.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
LOC plays similar way to them. All effort, go go. Think later. Three Stooges. Haha. They strive on chaos.
slapshotlarge_1200x600Web.jpg

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Hench is a contrarian to the bone no doubt about it. Doesn't mean he's not right. A lot of us (including my self) have a tough time looking at this team objectively which he is probably the best at on top of a good eye for the game to begin with. Alright Tim Thomas pump my tires now. :nod::naughty:

I can't control the label people put on it, but I just evaluate players in how I see them. I've been wrong plenty before and will be wrong in the future too (hopefully here). I find it kinda funny when people label me a hater on players. I don't have an ax to grind with any player sans Goligoski. With Kovalenko specifically, he was a player I was VERY high on pre draft and through his +1 year. The problem is, when the data changes, I can't just hold on to my previous opinion. I don't see the skill set needed to thrive in the NHL and it has become pretty obvious over time. He's going to get a run and he's going to play in the NHL next season. I'm not real sure he's going to stick long-term.

There are plenty of examples on both sides of me growing to like a player or souring on a player over time. There are also plenty where I hold my opinion strongly because of my belief in what I see. Kovalenko is a guy I soured on over time. Harley is a guy I grew to appreciate and like. Newhook and Byram are guys I've held my opinion on.

All that said, my comments yesterday were not about my evaluation of Kovalenko as a player. It was an evaluation of his game in game 4 specifically. I don't see how anybody can think his play was passable in Game 4 and that he needs to be much, much better to hold on to the spot. Yeah there are baked in excuses we can use and it certainly wasn't an ideal situation to start in. I get that and I've stated multiple times that it was just one game. That doesn't change that it was a very bad night and he needs to play much better to stay in the lineup. He needs to at least tread water tonight on the 3rd line, not drag it down.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I can't control the label people put on it, but I just evaluate players in how I see them. I've been wrong plenty before and will be wrong in the future too (hopefully here). I find it kinda funny when people label me a hater on players. I don't have an ax to grind with any player sans Goligoski. With Kovalenko specifically, he was a player I was VERY high on pre draft and through his +1 year. The problem is, when the data changes, I can't just hold on to my previous opinion. I don't see the skill set needed to thrive in the NHL and it has become pretty obvious over time. He's going to get a run and he's going to play in the NHL next season. I'm not real sure he's going to stick long-term.

There are plenty of examples on both sides of me growing to like a player or souring on a player over time. There are also plenty where I hold my opinion strongly because of my belief in what I see. Kovalenko is a guy I soured on over time. Harley is a guy I grew to appreciate and like. Newhook and Byram are guys I've held my opinion on.

All that said, my comments yesterday were not about my evaluation of Kovalenko as a player. It was an evaluation of his game in game 4 specifically. I don't see how anybody can think his play was passable in Game 4 and that he needs to be much, much better to hold on to the spot. Yeah there are baked in excuses we can use and it certainly wasn't an ideal situation to start in. I get that and I've stated multiple times that it was just one game. That doesn't change that it was a very bad night and he needs to play much better to stay in the lineup. He needs to at least tread water tonight on the 3rd line, not drag it down.
Bednar disagrees with you on his game 4 performance as he had good things to say about him post game.

Also what's up with you and Goligoski? 😂

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Bednar disagrees with you on his game 4 performance as he had good things to say about him post game.

Also what's up with you and Goligoski? 😂
Bednar isn't going to trash his first game in a tough situation in a press conference. It would be absolutely stupid for Bednar to say "He was utter shit" publicly. Grain of salt on what he says in the press conference. The results on the ice are not really debatable. It was very bad.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I thought Kovalenko looked fine and got better as the last game went on.

Extremely difficult situation to just jump into your first NHL game at that kind of intensity and pace and sit on the bench for long stretches.

Late in the game, he made an incredible defensive play at one end, and then joined the rush the other way. He's going to fit in just fine on this team with time as he gets comfortable. He's got plenty more to offer.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think it's intelligence at all. Parise has high hockey IQ. I think it's a motor thing.

Wood and Colton kinda of need someone operating at a faster pace than them ensuring the line is sound defensively. LOC was perfect in this role this season. But then again, this is the first season he's been able to sustain third line minutes with this level of pace.

Parise's mind is perfectly willing, but the body just isn't able sustain that pace I don't think. Not for our third line. I actually like him on the second line better.

Kivi was playing with high, high pace before his injury. His speed was being disruptive.

With Kovy...it was just one game, so I don't feel right trying to label him one way or the other based on 7 minutes (of which, I probably was only really aware of two shifts). I will say those that said he wasn't good..I think they were right. He had a great defensive stick shift, but other than that simply was not noticeable. For our third line to be effective, "not noticeable" will not cut it. It needs to be a pain if the freakin' ass to play against. So in that regards, Kivi has definitely been better and probably goes right back in unless Kovy gets a second game and increases his pace. I think he will be fine eventually, I'm just not sure if he will have shown enough to prevent Kivi from getting back in when healthy.

I think the reason for the stark difference with LOC, is primarily his strong defensive game. Allows him to break up plays in the D zone. Colton and Wood are average defensively but Wood is getting better.

But also his straight line speed on the forecheck. Zero east-west to his game and gets lots of pucks back on the forecheck with his speed, and helps keeps the puck in the zone with a smart cycle and enough strength to pull it off against different defenseman.

His defense helps them get the puck back and then is very predictable once they do. Makes him very easy to play with, and they can just do their thing and play on instinct, without overthinking.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
Kovalenko playing 7:17 minutes in his first NHL game and getting ultra-analyzed. Who woulda thunk it!

He was fine and will only get better. Good grief 🥴

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Yeah add me to the mix that thinks he was ok. Not great by any means but not a liability. I don’t really care if he was outshot attempted 10-0 or whatever, when I watched him he wasn’t lost defensively and that’s a good enough start to me along with his attempt of physicality. Definitely overboard to say he was a disaster imo.

Reactions: LTCPain75

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes