Confirmed with Link: Avs sign D Erik Brännström 900k X 1 year

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Moving my comment over here:

Brannstrom is just a weird fit here as a bottom pairing guy. He's small, good/not great skater, doesn't PK well, and not talented enough offensively to take a PP role over Makar, Toews and Girard. He's going to mostly end up a risk/reward 11-12 minute a night guy who Bednar doesn't trust.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Maybe he shines here, but would had preferred big boi meat.
1719939818655.gif

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I get it from Brannstrom’s perspective if he believe he can be a good puck moving defender the Avs might be one of the better options for him.

From the Avs perspective, I think it adds more competition to the 5/6/7 spots and likely challenges Malinski (who is older). Given the low number I’m fine with the minimal risk associated with the contract.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I like the risk/reward, but yes have trouble seeing where he fits on our team. Our top pair doesn't have a mean guy and having Girard/Malinski/Brannstrom 4-7 doesn't help that either. Would have preferred to target Kovacevic for the role.

Makes me wonder if there's a cap-clearing G trade coming down the pipe. He's the most logical to move after Colton who just had his NTC kick in.

Maybe he can play RHD with De Haan on the 2nd pair? We are one Manson injury from icing a bunch of midgets on D

Reactions: MacKaRant

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Cheap and zero risk. Smart move.
I wouldn't say that. If he makes the team and plays regularly, he's likely to have a lot of risk/reward in the bottom pairing. Which Bednar won't like and that'll cause him to put more minutes on the top 4. Elevating the risk of over playing the top guys and potentially hurting the team. Him making the team over Malinksi would expose Malinski to waivers. So some risk there. If he's in the AHL there is risk that he overtakes roles and minutes from other players who could use them (though I'd say that is not a concern for me, but for some it would be).

Reactions: McMetal

NMAvsman

Jan 28, 2007
I like the risk/reward, but yes have trouble seeing where he fits on our team. Our top pair doesn't have a mean guy and having Girard/Malinski/Brannstrom 4-7 doesn't help that either. Would have preferred to target Kovacevic for the role.

Makes me wonder if there's a cap-clearing G trade coming down the pipe. He's the most logical to move after Colton who just had his NTC kick in.

Maybe he can play RHD with De Haan on the 2nd pair? We are one Manson injury from icing a bunch of midgets on D
Yeah, this is what I was thinking as well....and I think we will regret moving him (Sammy G) if that is the case.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Question--do people like this because of his status as a (former) Top-15 pick and a one-time centerpiece of a big trade?

Because otherwise, it certainly seems like his play has stalled at the NHL level.

I, for one, wouldn't necessarily jump at saying this is a precursor to any sort of trade.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Moving my comment over here:

Brannstrom is just a weird fit here as a bottom pairing guy. He's small, good/not great skater, doesn't PK well, and not talented enough offensively to take a PP role over Makar, Toews and Girard. He's going to mostly end up a risk/reward 11-12 minute a night guy who Bednar doesn't trust.
Yeah....doesn't fill a definable role, Bednar won't like him. Did they forget they signed Jacob MacDonald yesterday?

Reactions: henchman21

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I wouldn't say that. If he makes the team and plays regularly, he's likely to have a lot of risk/reward in the bottom pairing. Which Bednar won't like and that'll cause him to put more minutes on the top 4. Elevating the risk of over playing the top guys and potentially hurting the team. Him making the team over Malinksi would expose Malinski to waivers. So some risk there. If he's in the AHL there is risk that he overtakes roles and minutes from other players who could use them (though I'd say that is not a concern for me, but for some it would be).
If bednar doesnt like him, i dont see how he makes the roster.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah....doesn't fill a definable role, Bednar won't like him. Did they forget they signed Jacob MacDonald yesterday?
Rosen is kinda the same mold too.

In a pure vacuum, if you're a team that lacks puck movement and you have a guy you can pair with him to win battles... he's a great shot to take. On a team like the Avs where puck movement isn't a real issue and he's likely to be paired with CDH or Malinski... it sounds like a disaster.

If bednar doesnt like him, i dont see how he makes the roster.
Plenty of players Bednar doesn't like have made the team and given a run.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Rosen is kinda the same mold too.

In a pure vacuum, if you're a team that lacks puck movement and you have a guy you can pair with him to win battles... he's a great shot to take. On a team like the Avs where puck movement isn't a real issue and he's likely to be paired with CDH or Malinski... it sounds like a disaster.

Plenty of players Bednar doesn't like have made the team and given a run.
Its actually smart to give them a run and test things. I really dont see us dropping a player bednar likes over one he doesnt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad