Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Blake Comeau 3 Years, 2.4 AAV

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yes. Been saying that all day. He's not the type of guy you lock up for three years in the first hour of free agency.

Who cares when they signed him? They identified a fit that satisfied their wants at a price that fit their plans and pulled the trigger so that they could move onto extending EJ. If they wrap up this week by announcing an EJ extension, that'll put a nice bow on the biggest summer of this new era for our franchise. And let everyone start getting settled in, adjusted, and focused on being prepared to start this next season with the kind of run we had in Roykic's 1st season at the reins.

This contract isn't a big gamble that can bite us in the ass financially, and Comeau isn't being signed to fulfill a crucial role. He's just a depth guy that they liked the fit for our team. Some guys may sign cheap/shorter deals and some guys may be better talents, but they identified this guy as someone who gave them what they were looking for and we got reasonably cheaply.

You're really only making a big harrumph out this a non-issue because some guys have had to sign for unpredictably cheap. Guys who may not have fit what Roykic wanted as well as Comeau does or may not have wanted to come here.

Last edited:

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Hi guys, Pens fan dropping by.

Glad Comeau got more money, we can't afford it though.

About his play last season, he was scoring at an insane (for him) pace at the start of the season when he was put on Geno's wing, then he got injured and when he came back, he simply wasn't as effective. It could've been him rushing back or just less confident afterwards, either way, it's not a terrible signing. You can't expect the production at the start of the season for the whole season realistically, but since he trailed off at the end of the season, given an elite C, he should still do ok. He did not look good with Sid at all in the short while (no chemistry), only Geno.

And about killing penalties, part of the reason why he left the Jackets was because he was unhappy about not getting PK minutes. He'd always been a PK guy before and felt underused. He didn't get much PK time on the Pens, but we had too many who could (some of them us fans think shouldn't have), and he was used in more of a scoring role (which says something about our forward group). He definitely can PK.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

11318428816_63df0860c8_o.gif

Hopefully no Guenin, Cliche and Holden next season. Patty would be doing less of this

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
If Justin Williams gets 3,25mil and Comeau 2,4mil I think Roykic certainly miscalculated the market, but I have to admit players like Comeau will make this kind of money from UFA-market, that's the current prices. McGinn would make next year around 4 - 4,5mil if he puts up again 40 points. That's the price these days!

Vermette getting 3,75 mil. Wow.. I would certainly prefer these guys to Comeau. Prices seem a bit low this season for some reason.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If Justin Williams gets 3,25mil and Comeau 2,4mil I think Roykic certainly miscalculated the market, but I have to admit players like Comeau will make this kind of money from UFA-market, that's the current prices. McGinn would make next year around 4 - 4,5mil if he puts up again 40 points. That's the price these days!

Vermette getting 3,75 mil. Wow.. I would certainly prefer these guys to Comeau. Prices seem a bit low this season for some reason.

I think Comeau fits better in the bottom-6 than Williams would. Also I want to see what Grigorenko can do. Signing Vermette would mean Grigs would be forced to play the wing, and I don't think he's most comfortable there.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I think Comeau fits better in the bottom-6 than Williams would. Also I want to see what Grigorenko can do. Signing Vermette would mean Grigs would be forced to play the wing, and I don't think he's most comfortable there.

You're comfortable going to next season with Grigs centering the third line? I know I am not. As much as I want the guy to succeed next season, we can't trust him to center our third line at this point.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You're comfortable going to next season with Grigs centering the third line? I know I am not. As much as I want the guy to succeed next season, we can't trust him to center our third line at this point.

Ok, but Roy will. He wouldn't have wanted him in this trade otherwise. We're going to give Greg a chance to succeed and to do that he should play C in the NHL with some talent around him. And with Duchene and Soderberg in the top 6 C spots and offensive 3C is the best spot for Greg to thrive; especially if Rantanen forces his way onto the team.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

We don't have a traditional set-up like some teams do. Our best defensive forward also happens to be our 1st line LW. Soderberg also isn't a slouch defensively and he's likely lining up next to that LW. I have no doubt in my mind Roy feels like he can make Grigorenko a good NHL player, he wouldn't have been included in the trade otherwise. I'm comfortable enough with him as the 3C heading into next season. If he sucks, we'll deal with it then and probably bump Mitchell up but I don't believe he will.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Vermette gave a hometown discount to sign with Arizona. He knows they're going to stink but perhaps he and his family likes it there. So I don't think Avs could have signed him for $3.75M/year.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Comeau better than McGinn? Dunno about that one. He's a better pker and puck hound, but Ginner has better hands, hits harder, is better along the boards and on the PP. Skating is even I believe, might give the edge to McGinn though.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

williams won conn smythe one year ago playing in bottom 6.. sort of, as they rolled their lines pretty evenly.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Comeau better than McGinn? Dunno about that one. He's a better pker and puck hound, but Ginner has better hands, hits harder, is better along the boards and on the PP. Skating is even I believe, might give the edge to McGinn though.
We don't know how good Ginner will be after his surgery. Even if Comeau was a bit worse Avs still save some money and avoid a risk. Also, being good (or at least better) at killing penalties is certainly something Colorado would very much appreciate.
I like the signing. Could be there were better options available but Comeau will be good enough imo.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

I think he'll start there. If he struggles, he'll probably be flipped with Mitchell.

If the Avs are going to give him a shot, he needs decent ice time.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I think Grigorenko should be given a chance to play with skilled players like Duchene, Tanguay, etc not with Malkin, Comeau and similar players, he's a guy whose calling card is his offense, treat him as such and put him in a position where he can give the best of his skill set, he played with crappy linemates in Buffalo, lets see what he can do with someone who can actually do something with a puck on his stick.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I think Grigorenko should be given a chance to play with skilled players like Duchene, Tanguay, etc not with Malkin, Comeau and similar players, he's a guy whose calling card is his offense, treat him as such and put him in a position where he can give the best of his skill set, he played with crappy linemates in Buffalo, lets see what he can do with someone who can actually do something with a puck on his stick.

I doubt Grigorenko starts at center. If he's NHL-worthy at this point, I'd like to see him with Duchene and Iginla. Then put Tanguay on the 3rd line with Mitchell and Comeau.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
This signing just means Mitchell will hopefully start the year on the fourth line and if there are injuries to the top 6 Mitchell won't play with duchene. Seems like a huge win to me. Getting Comeau on this contract does not mean the Avs can't sign a guy like semin on a one year deal for added depth

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I'd take that, as long as MacKinnon can cut it at center.

I think he can and I think it's time to let him be a full time center, this team needs him there if they want to be successful, I'm sure it won't go smooth, but that's his position for the next 15+ years.

was it Roy or Sakic saying Soderberg would play w Landeskog?

Roy, but that shouldn't be set in stone and furthermore Roy likes to shuffle his lines.

love that lineup

It makes the most sense to me.

Anyway I won't go OT anymore :)

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
We don't have a traditional set-up like some teams do. Our best defensive forward also happens to be our 1st line LW. Soderberg also isn't a slouch defensively and he's likely lining up next to that LW. I have no doubt in my mind Roy feels like he can make Grigorenko a good NHL player, he wouldn't have been included in the trade otherwise. I'm comfortable enough with him as the 3C heading into next season. If he sucks, we'll deal with it then and probably bump Mitchell up but I don't believe he will.

I would absolutely LOVE it if Grigorenko takes over the MacKinnon 18 year old role, 3rd line offensive center. Have the Landy-Soderberg-Mackinnon (hopefully he is better defensively this year) be the go to, do everything line, and then send the Comeau-Grigo-Everberg line out against everyone's 3rd/4th lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad