GDT: AVS @ Sharks 10/20/24 6:00PM MNT (Yet Another Emergency GDT)

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Why do I think they are always lucky? When it comes to injuries, winning overtime, goaltending etc. just magical place to play I guess.

They are an organization that has generally valued high quality goaltending for a long time and have allocated cap that represents that belief. From Belfour to Turco to Bishop to Jake, the proof is there.

Some may call it luck, I call it good goaltending.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
They are an organization that has generally valued high quality goaltending for a long time and have allocated cap that represents that belief. From Belfour to Turco to Bishop to Jake, the proof is there.

Beyond their focus on goaltending the Stars have done quite a few things right. The Stars are a team that looked like they were dead in the water, they had some high profile draft busts just as their previous franchise players were trending down. However, they seem to have made some drastic changes in their scouting and drafting and have had a significant resurgence as a result. It's something I'm still desperate to see from the Avs.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Beyond their focus on goaltending the Stars have done quite a few things right. The Stars are a team that looked like they were dead in the water, they had some high profile draft busts just as their previous franchise players were trending down. However, they seem to have made some drastic changes in their scouting and drafting and have had a significant resurgence as a result. It's something I'm still desperate to see from the Avs.

That 2017 draft was just bonkers for them.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I do still want to see Annunen against a team that doesn't suck this season.

He looked horrible against Vegas and against Columbus, and yes Columbus sucks which is bad but I'm willing to cut him some slack having to come in cold against them. Not so much against Vegas because he started the period so he wasn't really "cold" in that sense.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

They traded up to draft their goalie. We trade down to draft ours.

Literally

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Really solid performance given all the players we have missing. I love that the more inexperienced players are really grabbing the bull by the horns and performing so well. We are literally a goal scoring juggernaut. If we can get a handle on the defensive side of the game, lookout. Slowly bring back in all the top end talent, and this season will start simmering Ike a good Aussie winter stew.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Someone please tell me we were never that terrible to watch when we were rebuilding.
We had the 92-29-96 line, Duchene and EJ still in their primes, and Varlamov. I don't know if we were worse than the current Sharks, but relatively to what top talent we had, we were so f***ing bad.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Even though it was the Sharks I like that Bednar gave the 4th line some legit ice time:

Steinburg 8:19
Ivan 10:47
Kiviranta 11:23

Them potting a goal in the 3rd HOPEFULLY shows Bednar that you don't have to only use 3 lines once the 2nd period basically starts. You can play your 4th line. It's not like Kurtis MacDermid is taking a shit out there.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Someone please tell me we were never that terrible to watch when we were rebuilding.
The thing about the Avs, is that they have had only 4 really bad seasons, but the only one where in advance of the season it was likely that they were going to be bad was 16-17.

08-09 was coming off a 2nd round playoff appearance. Sakic put his hand in a snow blower and Tyler Arnason becomes our top centre.

10-11 was coming off a playoff appearance. Sacco was a Jack Adams runner up. O'Reilly and Duchene had great rookie years the year before, Chris Stewart and Paul Stastny were playing at a high level. Drunk David Jones seemed like he was a player. The team started well, but after the new year, they basically lost all their games and traded away Craig Anderson, Kevin Shattenkirk and Chris Stewart. But we got EJ and then drafted Landy.

12-13 was the lockout year. I don't think anyone expected them to be as bad as they were. I don't recall us thinking that it was a rebiuild year going into it. Worked out because we got MacK.

16-17 was looking bad going into it. Roy read the tea leaves and bolted.

17-18 was supposed to be rebuild year but we made the playoffs. It's been pretty good ever since.

All those years were probably as bad if not worse as watching the current Sharks.

Reactions: Heyduke

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They traded up to draft their goalie. We trade down to draft ours.

Literally

More damning is that Annunen was, up until this year's draft, their only real try at drafting and developing a real goalie. All the others taken were just a big shrug and oh well.

Dallas, on the other hand, struck out badly with Campbell, but just kept going until they got it right.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Even though it was the Sharks I like that Bednar gave the 4th line some legit ice time:

Steinburg 8:19
Ivan 10:47
Kiviranta 11:23

Them potting a goal in the 3rd HOPEFULLY shows Bednar that you don't have to only use 3 lines once the 2nd period basically starts. You can play your 4th line. It's not like Kurtis MacDermid is taking a shit out there.

Possession numbers were interesting too.

At the very top, the 4th line.
Shot1.png

At the very bottom, the 3rd line.
Shot2.png

And really, when you look at the players, none of that should be all that surprising.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Possession numbers were interesting too.

At the very top, the 4th line.
View attachment 919432

At the very bottom, the 3rd line.
View attachment 919433

And really, when you look at the players, none of that should be all that surprising.
Not at all. The 4th line seems to work well together, too. All three guys seem to skate well, pressure well, and read off of one another well.

It's hard to play with Miles Wood. The guy is a dummy out there. At the same time, Cal Ritchie's speed needs improvement and he's not a bottom-six Bednar style player. Lastly, Kelly IMO is the slowest Avalanche forward and not suited for a role at center at all. Them looking horrible isn't surprising one bit.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not at all. The 4th line seems to work well together, too. All three guys seem to skate well, pressure well, and read off of one another well.

It's hard to play with Miles Wood. The guy is a dummy out there. At the same time, Cal Ritchie's speed needs improvement and he's not a bottom-six Bednar style player. Lastly, Kelly IMO is the slowest Avalanche forward and not suited for a role at center at all. Them looking horrible isn't surprising one bit.
You seem to dislike Kelly quite a bit.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You seem to dislike Kelly quite a bit.
I find him useless, yes.

The Avs identified an average skating physical winger and have tried to turn him into a center for some stupid reason. So, some of this is on the Avs and the lunacy of thinking they can turn Kelly into a center. However, I also think the player won't be very good if we're ever healthy.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I haven't seen a ton of Kelly (then again it's been a chore for me to see the Avs at all so far this year) but what I've seen hasn't stuck out as terribly good or bad. In any event I hope they find someone a little better for the 3C position, they have to know he's just not suited for that role.

The fourth line for all intents and purposes is the third line anyway.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Kelly was supposed to be a Duhaime replacement and then we decided to play him as a center.

Of course, I don’t agree he could replace Duhaime who brought a ton of truculence to the table but I can see how the front office thought he could provide something similar.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Bednar obviously knows he has a head case starter and his only choice is to pump his tires, tread lightly, do the positive reinforcement dance. it’s an unenviable situation. I fully expect that he privately wants to shoot him into the sun, but has to play along. The only potential knock on Jared with regards to Georgiev is that he might still really believe that he can fix him.

I dunno… with rumors about Gibson and Blackwood floating, the Kak pickup, Annunen starting last night — the plot seems to be thickening. But they can’t afford to be transparent about it in case they get stuck with Wackadoo
That's the real problem with Bednar...sometimes, things are just so broke they can't be put back together again. All he's going to do in the meantime is dig the team into a deeper hole until he has this revelation and stops playing Georgiev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad