Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Bigras is going to be our top pair guy by the end of the Beauchemin contract. Giving him up for an iffy winger that was great in Juniors but has failed to deliver at the NHL level is insane. Grigorenko was really good in Juniors too, would you trade Bigras for him?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ugh, please no Drouin. Mister I'm-too-good-to-play-defense would not be welcome on a team with a blueline as weak as ours. That and the level of professionalism he's shown through this whole ordeal has really turned me off. Moving key assets in exchange for a volatile player like that sounds like a horrible idea.

This team's done well enough with the I'm-too-good-to-play-defense brothers (Matt, Nathan and Tyson). *shrug*

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
This team's done well enough with the I'm-too-good-to-play-defense brothers (Matt, Nathan and Tyson). *shrug*

I think Nate's D game is underrated. He may have looked lost in the last couple games but overall he's doing fine, much improved over his rookie season for sure.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If there were 2 great pieces on the table it would have happened already.

The whole segment was interesting because Pierre had been with the team. The Drouin stuff seems more like speculation. He gives Roy a lot,of credit, which is nice. He thinks they won last night because of moving up Iginla tho.

You know, the person that is never mentioned as moving is Wood.

I think Wood is still too much of an unknown project too hold that kind of value. He's a really exciting prospect, but still so far from making it that I can't see him having enough value to be that missing piece in a Drounin trade...but hopefully the success Parayko's having as a giant rookie RHD with an insane shot and skill, could work in our favor in this respect.

Meloche is much safer and probably holds more hype. He's the one teams will probably ask for if Mikko/Nik/Woody are off of the table.

I think Nate's D game is underrated. He may have looked lost in the last couple games but overall he's doing fine, much improved over his rookie season for sure.

Duchene is way better defensively than he used to be

...my point exactly...

CantTouchThis

Feb 16, 2012
Town in Country
Bigras is going to be our top pair guy by the end of the Beauchemin contract. Giving him up for an iffy winger that was great in Juniors but has failed to deliver at the NHL level is insane. Grigorenko was really good in Juniors too, would you trade Bigras for him?

Comparing Grigs to Drouin isn't right.

Drouin completely dominated. Don't forget that this guy was slotted to be interchangeable between Mac and Jones for first overall.

I have full faith in this management group. Patrick is an insanely good judge of character. If they go after Drouin, it's because he's worth it.

I would love to do something of lesser value like a Meloche plus a first for Drouin but that is not realistic. Our first this year will be a 15-20 slot, and Meloche is 18. WAY too big of a question mark.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I really don't want to see Compher go. He is exactly the type of player we need on our third line.

I would do our 1st (top 5 protected) + Wood.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Drouin completely dominated. Don't forget that this guy was slotted to be interchangeable between Mac and Jones for first overall.

I have full faith in this management group. Patrick is an insanely good judge of character. If they go after Drouin, it's because he's worth it.

I would love to do something of lesser value like a Meloche plus a first for Drouin but that is not realistic. Our first this year will be a 15-20 slot, and Meloche is 18. WAY too big of a question mark.

Yes he dominated in junior. He also had by far the biggest risk of busting by of those 3.
And so far he has not proven that his game really translates well to the NHL and that he is durable enough to ever do much in this league.

He also has shown that he is an entitled kid that thinks a bit too highly of himself and does not shy away from alienating everyone around him if things don't go his way.

I am not so sure that Patrick is able to judge Drouin from a far. Yes they interviewed him at the draft and he coached against him but that is it basically.
Maybe add a few BFF stories from Mac.

Not really enough to judge his character.

Look at how Roy is yanking Grigo around after each mistake. Do you really think that Drouin of all people would accept that?

Would I do Meloche + 1st for Drouin?
Maybe. But only if we extend Barrie first. And with a very heavy heart. The only reason would be Drouins upside but that would be a tough call for me. I really like Meloche.

Would I be willing to give up a couple of 1st, Grigorenko, Wood, Siemens, Bleackley or Compher for him?

Yeah absolutely. But that won't be enough.

I would absolutely not be able to swallow them trading Barrie, Bigras, Zads or Rantanen for him.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

My point was that Junior numbers don't always translate into Pro numbers. The fact that so far Drouin hasn't managed to earn himself a spot in Tampa after 2 years is troubling. MacKinnon and Jones have managed that just fine.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Drouin was arguably Tampa's best forward before getting hurt the first time...aka the only time we've seen him playing in a top 6 role. The kid's shown that his talent can translate to the NHL, he just needs a larger sample size to show whether he can play at that level consistently (over the long haul) when in that role. And even in the smaller role he put up good /60 numbers. So I don't have any questions about his style-play/game translating. If we get home and Roy is cool with his attitude/has a plan to utilize him.

My only question is the price. The big three are just too important; our first isn't valuable enough to be the major piece; nor are Compher/Bleackley, and probably Wood; plus I'm homering hard for Meloche...I just love his smarts; combined with his skill, size and nasty streak, I just can't stop picturing him & Zadorov leaving bodies in their wake for 25+ minutes a night while driving the offense...So I just don't see a fair(ish) offer that I'd be willing to make.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Drouin was arguably Tampa's best forward before getting hurt the first time...aka the only time we've seen him playing in a top 6 role. The kid's shown that his talent can translate to the NHL, he just needs a larger sample size to show whether he can play at that level consistently (over the long haul) when in that role. And even in the smaller role he put up good /60 numbers. So I don't have any questions about his style-play/game translating. If we get home and Roy is cool with his attitude/has a plan to utilize him.

My only question is the price. The big three are just too important; our first isn't valuable enough to be a major piece, nor are Compher/Bleackley and probably Wood; plus I'm homering hard for Meloche. So I just don't see a fair(ish) offer that I'd be willing to make.

Nice post, actually sounds like commentary from someone who has seen him play.

These conversations get me so fired up irritated sometimes with the Drouin commentary, I want to pull my hair out, and there is no point in trying to fight it every few days when it comes up.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Serious question, doesn't this sound a lot like the Grigo story though? I think its a fair point. Drouin has put up more points but Grigo was yanked around far more. Drouin has a ton of talent and potential but the present day reality has to be considered too. It IS a risk to trade for him especially considering what would have to be given up. I don't think he's a bad kid and a fresh start will likely do him good but we also have to think about another "stubborn" guy who has gone to extreme lengths to get what he wants. He's not a guaranteed superstar just like another high pick Grigo isn't. Their situations are only one year removed from eachother too. There's just a lot to consider is what I'm saying.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Serious question, doesn't this sound a lot like the Grigo story though? I think its a fair point. Drouin has put up more points but Grigo was yanked around far more. Drouin has a ton of talent and potential but the present day reality has to be considered too. It IS a risk to trade for him especially considering what would have to be given up. I don't think he's a bad kid and a fresh start will likely do him good but we also have to think about another "stubborn" guy who has gone to extreme lengths to get what he wants. He's not a guaranteed superstar just like another high pick Grigo isn't. Their situations are only one year removed from eachother too. There's just a lot to consider is what I'm saying.

All of that. ^^

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I would move Zadorov for Drouin personally. With the way Bigras is playing theres little doubt he's going to be a good Top 4 guy for us possibly as soon as next year.

I actually feel quite comfortable with our Defense even without Zadorov in the equation. Short term we've got EJ, Barrie, Holden, and Beauch that make up a solid Top 4(As good as anything we've had the last 5-6 years for sure), and then we've got Bigras and slew of 6/7's to go in and out of the lineup.

Next year, I think we'll see Holden slide down to the bottom pairing with Bigras taking his place. Long term we've got 3/4 spots filled already and just 1 hole left. Zadorov could fill that spot, but I think we have other good options that could take that role as well. Plus we have our 2016 1st this year and a few good Dmen that could be available when we pick in the draft his year(Fabbro, Sergachyov, Bean).

I would also be comfortable with moving our 1st+(Top 10 Protected) for Drouin.

At the end of the day, I still have no doubt the kid is going to be an unreal talent in the league. This is a huge opportunity to get an elite player for a lot less then it would normally cost. Personally I'm not entirely sold on Zadorov(He's a boom or bust type of guy, but even his boom isn't on Drouin's level of Boom). And a 11-16 1st in the draft is also unlikely to develop into the player I think Drouin will be.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'll have to run for cover... Gagner is also a parallel. People thought he was a can't miss and was known for his super high hockey IQ. Now he can barely stay on a team. I don't think Drouin is another Gagner, but teams have to be careful with players like the Drouins.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think you're looking too much at Drouin's potential and not counting Zadorov's potential. He's a wrecking ball out there when he's on. If he manages to work out the kinks he will be a beast for years and years on the blueline. Personally, the stronger our defense the better, I'd rather be a little top heavy on defense in case of injuries. There are other options for fixing the top six that don't involve compromising the defense.

IF Drouin works out his problems and Zadorov doesn't, then we win that trade. But the opposite could just as likely be true.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

My only question is the price. The big three are just too important; our first isn't valuable enough to be the major piece; nor are Compher/Bleackley, and probably Wood; plus I'm homering hard for Meloche...I just love his smarts; combined with his skill, size and nasty streak, I just can't stop picturing him & Zadorov leaving bodies in their wake for 25+ minutes a night while driving the offense...So I just don't see a fair(ish) offer that I'd be willing to make.

Took a glance at their board. It actually doesn't seem like their fans are expecting much. A simple 1st round pick was mentioned numerous times and there was an article that mentioned Ivan Barbashev as a big piece.
I think you're looking too much at Drouin's potential and not counting Zadorov's potential. He's a wrecking ball out there when he's on. If he manages to work out the kinks he will be a beast for years and years on the blueline. Personally, the stronger our defense the better, I'd rather be a little top heavy on defense in case of injuries. There are other options for fixing the top six that don't involve compromising the defense.

IF Drouin works out his problems and Zadorov doesn't, then we win that trade. But the opposite could just as likely be true.

I honestly think Drouin is more likely to work out his problems, which is why I too would do the trade. I think everything else (talent level/ceiling, need, age I believe, current level of play) is very similar.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I honestly think Drouin is more likely to work out his problems, which is why I too would do the trade. I think everything else (talent level/ceiling, need, age I believe, current level of play) is very similar.

Agree with this. As much as I like Zadorov, Drouin is much more likely to reach his potential. Zadorov has arguably a higher ceiling but his hockey sense make me question if he'll ever get there.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Maybe, but the way I look at is that if both players completely bust, then both teams would lose the trade. If Drouin Busts and Zadorov reaches his potential we'd lose big time, and if Drouin reaches his potential and Zadorov busts then obviously we win big.

But, where I think the Avs would be better off on the trade it that last scenario which is that both players reach there respective potential. Personally, I just think Drouins potential is that much higher then Zadorovs to where I think its a trade that we should make if given the opportunity.

I see Zadorovs high end potential as being a Low End #1/Elite #2 similar to EJs level right now. I think he'd be very similar to EJ, the only difference being that he'd be much more envolved in the physical game but that would also leave him prone to some defensive miscues that dont happen as often with EJ. In other words a great player, but not elite.

Drouin on the other hand, I still think has the potential to be a dominant and truly elite player in this league. I still believe he can be a 80-90 point player, especially alongside Mackinnon. And personally I would take a Top 10 producing player over a #1/2 Top 25-35 Dman in the league. I also think Drouin is a safer bet pan out then Zadorov.

Its ultimately just a difference of opinion as to why I would do the trade and others wouldn't. I just dont see that elite #1D in Zadorovs future, I dont think he has the Tool box to get to that level despite having the tools similar to EJ.

In saying all of that, I would love to be wrong about Zadorov and would gladly eat some crowe in a few years if Zads is in the running for a Norris every year after we opt out of trading him for Drouin.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
If TBL is at all considering moving him for a 1st it absolutely needs to be done at the draft. I think they will happy with a pick in the 7-12 range. How many really good talents have been in that range in the past 3 drafts.
But past that I wouldnt do it. Id def. want a high end prospect instead.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Like most of us here I would be happy if we did get Drouin, however what do you guys think would happen to the roster if we indeed did trade for him without giving up any roster players? What would happen to the lines? Does that mean Rantanen would have to stay in the AHL? You guys know more about this than me just wondering what would happen. :laugh:

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Like most of us here I would be happy if we did get Drouin, however what do you guys think would happen to the roster if we indeed did trade for him without giving up any roster players? What would happen to the lines? Does that mean Rantanen would have to stay in the AHL? You guys know more about this than me just wondering what would happen. :laugh:

Hope to christ the Comeau/iginla/Tanguay/martinsen/Grigorenko carousel could be stopped.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
If and its a big if they do land Drouin ..in the season.. Grigs looks like he'd coming out or at least rotating with Wagner/Martinsen.

boooo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad