Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎ ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I can't imagine that would happen. I think as soon as you sign a contract the NHL logs it. We'd know by now.

Im not sure if there's anything keeping Sakic from shoving the contract in his drawer for another week. Or maybe it's just a deal in principle.

I do have a feeling that Radulov already knows where he's going. We're just all along for the ride.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
The simplest explanation is always the correct one. Radulov and the Avs haven't come up with a contract they both can agree to yet. Radulov is still in contact with other clubs as well. There is likely a high degree of interest between both sides and it could be done at any time.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The simplest explanation is always the correct one. Radulov and the Avs haven't come up with a contract they both can agree to yet. Radulov is still in contact with other clubs as well. There is likely a high degree of interest between both sides and it could be done at any time.

The simplest explanation is almost always the correct one. And I'm. OT saying he's signing with the Avs. I'm just saying he probably already knows who he is signing with.

Ducks sign Vatanen for 4 more years. Assuming that takes him off the market, it's becoming a wasteland for available defenders.

Why does everyone else make it look so easy? Sure would be nice to get a surprise Barrie signing announcement.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
The simplest explanation is almost always the correct one. And I'm. OT saying he's signing with the Avs. I'm just saying he probably already knows who he is signing with.

Why does everyone else make it look so easy? Sure would be nice to get a surprise Barrie signing announcement.

This signing just set the market for Barrie.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
5 years, 6 million for Barrie. Lets just get it done. Avs get their player at a reasonable cap hit in "the structure" and get two FA years. Barrie gets paid, and still hits free agency at 29. Both sides win.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
This signing just set the market for Barrie.

Maybe in your mind but certainly not in Barrie or his agents mind.

Barrie last two seasons: 53 and 49 points
Vatanen last two seasons: 37 and 38 points

It's a significant difference. Barrie is significantly more dynamic than Vatanen and it will show up in the AAV if we manage to sign him to a long-term deal.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

It's a significant difference. Barrie is significantly more dynamic than Vatanen and it will show up in the AAV if we manage to sign him to a long-term deal.

So give him an extra million per year and call it a day. 6x6. Get it done

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I'd like to pick up Despres now. On the other hand, I know he would get knocked out cold the 1st day of training camp and Mackinnon would somehow get suspended for it.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
can someone explain me why datsyuk stay on the cap if he retire from nhl ?

NHL's stupid 35+ contracts. Any contract that is signed for players over 35 years old have some stupid rules to them. You can't get any savings from buying them out, only get 100K off the cap hit if you bury them in the AHL, and the cap hit stays if the player retires.

I have no idea why the NHL set these rules.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
can someone explain me why datsyuk stay on the cap if he retire from nhl ?

35+ contract. When a player signs a contract after the age of 35 their caphit stays with the team even if the player retires.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Well to be fair, Sakic didn't come out and say he'd be keeping them last summer though.

He just said they'd be qualified, just like Hamilton and Elliott were. I didn't see anything explicitly stated about keeping them.

This is what I get for posting before reading all of last nights content. :)

Great post here. This is a good representation of what this upcoming season is probably going to look like. They need meaningful progress from the young developing guys. Not leaps forward, necessarily. Just progress. And that can happen in the NHL. And IMO in the cases of Zadorov and Bigras, should happen in the NHL. Play them, live through the inevitable periodic pain, and have NHL-ready guys at the start of the 2017-18 season - while hopefully enjoying the fruits of freeing up $10M+ in bad contracts.

But while we do this, Sakic/Roy: Do. Not. Trade. Any. More. Prospects/Picks. For. Rentals. Or. Old. Crappy. Free. Agents.

I think most of us recognize they need sort of a bridge year but I don't think they see it that way and that's very scary.

He probably hasnt signed yet. Even if he's decided on a team, not having a cap number doesn't help anyone. Could be a couple deals are on the table depending on the scenario. I only believe he's coming here if he wants to above all else. The Avs aren't going to win a bidding war or have the glitziest presentation to persuade him. I know there's a lot out there that's conflicting but I believe the folks that say he's coming here. I know he's free to do whatever he wants until it happens too. I don't think it benefits him to get to July 1, I don't see why he'd want to be someone's backup plan or is just looking for straight money. But we'll see.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
NHL's stupid 35+ contracts. Any contract that is signed for players over 35 years old have some stupid rules to them. You can't get any savings from buying them out, only get 100K off the cap hit if you bury them in the AHL, and the cap hit stays if the player retires.

It's because before you could sign a 35+ player to an 8 year deal that you knew he'd never complete that was extremely front loaded and circumvent the cap. IMO, they should treat them the same way they treat an under 35 contract where you just get penalized for the difference between actual salary and AAV. I ink that's a fine way to handle it.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
So I wonder if that hockey trade will happen now that Vatanen signed in Anaheim. I'm thinking Lindholm but more likely Fowler is on the move.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015

Vantanen is the better defender. Barrie can be more dynamic and think all he wants, but Vantanen finished at a +8, while Barrie finished at -16.

OMackDuch

Mar 18, 2014
quebec city, quebec

thanks you and CB joe too

I didn't think about the 35+ rules.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I wonder if this deal will make Joe looking into a shorter kind deal for Barrie? A 4 year deal for Vatanen only buys 2 UFA years so it kept his cap hit low. A 4 year deal for Barrie only buys 1 UFA year. Yes it would suck that Barrie would almost certainly test the market and the end of that deal but if it means locking him in at around 5-5.5 per year that's well worth it IMO. I can see the desire for Barrie to do it as well.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Vantanen is the better defender. Barrie can be more dynamic and think all he wants, but Vantanen finished at a +8, while Barrie finished at -16.

Disagree slightly but that's besides the point - I'm saying if you are Barrie and his agent, Vatanen in no way is setting your expectations, and he will get paid significantly more on a long-term deal.

I'm more than happy to be wrong though. Just don't think I am :)

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I feel like the easy answer is that Radulov probably has overpriced himself and is being pretty firm with his demands or a deal would be done (with someone). My guess is that it is the term more than the money that is the issue.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
Disagree slightly but that's besides the point - I'm saying if you are Barrie and his agent, Vatanen in no way is setting your expectations, and he will get paid significantly more on a long-term deal.

I'm more than happy to be wrong though. Just don't think I am :)

And if I'm the front office, this is the closest comparison there is. Barrie is not one of the elite d-men in the league, and they can argue all they want about Erik Karlsson being the comparable, but it's not going to happen, not even in arbitration. $5M is a fair number for Barrie for what he brings to the table, anything over that is an over payment for a good puck moving defenseman and sub par defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad