Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎ ‎

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
http://www.denverpost.com/2016/06/17/avalanche-gm-joe-sakic-says-team-wont-be-active-in-july-1-free-agency/

Staying pretty quiet on July 1st is a good plan. I hope it's not just the case for the big long-term deals either. They should be patient for the depth players too so they don't give out decent sized contracts to them.

Yeah, Boedker's gone. I don't think he'll be back if he's hitting the market.

Wow, I like those quotes a lot, it sounds like he sees the state of the roster very clearly. I wonder what he meant by "forward heavy" in that last quote though. Just that the top ten is forward heavy (which is very true) or that their internal list is forward heavy. Hope it's the second, but it's probably just him stating the obvious about this draft class.

As for Boedker, he's too likely to be overpaid on July 1st. If the Avs strike out on Rads, Boedker is probably not an option, he hasn't got enough of a connection to the org to give a hometown discount to us when he's likely to make a decent chunk more long term with a team with more cap space.

member 116861

All i really want for next season is one upgrade on defense, replacing Holden with someone solid to play with Barrie moving Holden down to 3rd pair and resign Boedker. That's not too much to ask is it?

I honestly think it might be. We would have to choose between Boedker and the defenseman in that scenario because our cap situation isn't pretty.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Wow, I like those quotes a lot, it sounds like he sees the state of the roster very clearly. I wonder what he meant by "forward heavy" in that last quote though. Just that the top ten is forward heavy (which is very true) or that their internal list is forward heavy. Hope it's the second, but it's probably just him stating the obvious about this draft class.

As for Boedker, he's too likely to be overpaid on July 1st. If the Avs strike out on Rads, Boedker is probably not an option, he hasn't got enough of a connection to the org to give a hometown discount to us when he's likely to make a decent chunk more long term with a team with more cap space.

If what Sakic says is true that they wont be active in free agency and wont be looking at signing big names, doesn't that includes Radulov who's a free agent and will be looking at big money?

It sure sounds like they're not interested in Radulov, but i hope they at least resign Boedker because if they go into next season with Martinsen, Comeau and Grigorenko as main pieces on top 6, and Zadorov, Bigras taking up top 4 minutes, the Avs are definitely headed to a last place finish.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
All i really want for next season is one upgrade on defense, replacing Holden with someone solid to play with Barrie moving Holden down to 3rd pair and resign Boedker. That's not too much to ask is it?

I still think Holden is trade bait. Gelinas is too similar contract wise, has a higher potential, and they just traded a third for him, so they must believe in him enough to have him on the bottom pair next year. That leaves Holden as the seventh D. In that case, it makes sense to trade him for scraps and put Siemens or some other really cheap guy in there instead.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Holden needs to move to the bottom pairing through better play from Zadorov and Bigras.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
If Boedker ends up coming down on his demands closer towards $4M, then I'd be happy to bring him back, but I don't really want him back otherwise. This team is too easy to play against sometimes and he's one of the easier guys to play against. Everything is to the outside with him.

I like hearing that they want to stay out of it July 1. Just sit back and let the market settle, and you could probably find some bargains a few days later.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
If we can't sign Radulov or Boedker, I hope we sign Matthias. I think we'll upgrade our D with a trade.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So Radulov will be signed before July is what he's really saying? :sarcasm:

I think that is already signed, sealed, and delivered. :D

Just because they say this, doesn't mean they won't make moves on July 1st... it is probably just a signal to the fanbase to temper their expectations on the 1st for the big names.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If they don't give out any big long-term deals or go after Polak/Russell/Lovejoy, I'll probably be pleased with July 1st.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I love how everyone says that Boedker is gone. Last I checked he is a part of our roster and re-signing him be it before on or after July 1 to me wouldn't be big news just a re-signing. Don't get me wrong it would be good news IMO, but I don't think Sakic views re-signing one of our own guys as making noise.

IMO what Joe is talking about is not going after any of the big name UFAs that weren't on our team last season and making that "big splash" on the market. Which I'm very good with because this years UFA crop is rather crappy outside a handful of guys that are going to get paid.

I'm actually really glad that Joe is talking about some of this stuff publicly so we can kind of get a feel for what to expect moving forward. Most of this is good news to me ie: not moving Barrie, not doing dumb things in UFA etc. I'm still concerned a bit on the trade front as Sakic is being excessively vague about possibly moving guys, but in fairness that is the Avs way. We're like the freaking illuminati when it comes to trade chatter so I could just be over-analyzing Sakic.

As for his last statement about the draft being forward heavy, I think it is a pretty fair assessment, not an indicator of what we are thinking about doing. You look a general overview of the supposed top 12 guys typically 9 of them are forwards, I'd call that forward heavy. Like Sakic said they are going to go with BPA on their regardless of position, which I think is a good thing since I'm a firm believer in going with BPA not position need.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I'm not saying we should, but what kind of dman could Bigras and the 10th pick land us?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I got a bad feeling our first is getting traded

“We think we’re going to get a good player at 10, and we’re going to go with the best player on our list,â€

Not only is our first not in play, but it doesn't even sound like he's interested in shifting up and down either. Which is fine by me. Ten is a very good spot to be this year.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
lol you guys are just itching for trades if you're now going to talk about moving Bigras.

Amazing how a rough stretch for the entire team, and Bigras being thrown the the wolves on the top pairing with EJ will make people suddenly question his future.

Unless Winnipeg wants the 10th & Bigras for Trouba, people are just grasping at straws trying to keep the idea that they'll make a big move alive.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Why? Bigras doesn't need to be protected in next year's LV draft. He's absolutely ideal to have on our roster from an asset management perspective.

Just a hunch. I'm not saying I want him traded, just think with all the Trouba rumors out there, that there must be something. I know the rumor was Duchene for Trouba or something like that.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
lol you guys are just itching for trades if you're now going to talk about moving Bigras.

Amazing how a rough stretch for the entire team, and Bigras being thrown the the wolves on the top pairing with EJ will make people suddenly question his future.

Unless Winnipeg wants the 10th & Bigras for Trouba, people are just grasping at straws trying to keep the idea that they'll make a big move alive.

I'm going to be extremely pissed if this doesn't happen now.

or not

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Bigras and the 10th pick shouldn't be packaged in a trade. Really, neither piece should be traded.

Bigras had some rough games towards the end but IIRC, that happened once he was bumped up to the top pair. He was playing well prior to that. I think he's going to be a good one and it would be a shame if it happened with another team.

LobsterMagnet19

Feb 4, 2013
Bigras and the 10th pick shouldn't be packaged in a trade. Really, neither piece should be traded.

Bigras had some rough games towards the end but IIRC, that happened once he was bumped up to the top pair. He was playing well prior to that. I think he's going to be a good one and it would be a shame if it happened with another team.

He was also playing with a foot or ankle injury near the end of the year IIRC

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Don't think we're getting Radulov and I'd rather we re-sign Bdker than risk one of the other UFA wingers. Bdker we know already works well on the team and can play with both Mac and Duchene, I'd take him for 5.5 or less.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

Bigras' rough games were a combination of inexperience and teams targeting him, the same thing that happens to all rookie defensemen after teams get tape on them. He's cerebral enough and calm enough to work past the rough patches. I think his floor at this point is a good #4, and I'm still optimistic that he can be a top pairer eventually.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am sad about the news concerning a lack of a big splash. I think this is one offseason where there are legitimate options who would definitely play up to their contract. I'm fine if they sign Radulov which I don't think is what Sakic talking about. Remember he said, long term deals, said nothing about high short term ones, which is probably what he's going to be.

But can Avs put all their marbles on one player though? If he's close of signing, sure, but there have been zero rumors or comments about him. And I think we DO need another top 6 forward here.

It does suck to hear about Okposo since it sounds like he's to make it to free agency and Avs won't be interested in him.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I am sad about the news concerning a lack of a big splash. I think this is one offseason where there are legitimate options who would definitely play up to their contract. I'm fine if they sign Radulov which I don't think is what Sakic talking about. Remember he said, long term deals, said nothing about high short term ones, which is probably what he's going to be.

But can Avs put all their marbles on one player though? If he's close of signing, sure, but there have been zero rumors or comments about him. And I think we DO need another top 6 forward here.

It does suck to hear about Okposo since it sounds like he's to make it to free agency and Avs won't be interested in him.

Based on what Sakic said about the trade deadline, and what they actually did. I'm not sure why anyone would rule anything out regardless of what he says.

No rentals, and then wham Boedker & Mitthias. If they find something that fits, they'll be in on it.

LobsterMagnet19

Feb 4, 2013
Don't think we're getting Radulov and I'd rather we re-sign Bdker than risk one of the other UFA wingers. Bdker we know already works well on the team and can play with both Mac and Duchene, I'd take him for 5.5 or less.

5.5M is a ton of money for a guy with bad possession numbers, who is already through the prime of his career and has never scored 20 goals in a season. Like.... a TON of money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad