Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
What is the deal with Bennett anyway. Some fundamental flaw to his game that we didn't see before his draft or is he just stuck behind other players?

Struggled with the increased center responsibilities and stuck on the 3rd line (with little PP time). His defensive growth was solid. His time in Calgary might be nearing the end if Backlund has another good year and is re-signed. Jankowski is the future #3C there and shipping Bennett out as a younger center now makes sense for Calgary. If he stays, he will be converted into a RW... which won't be ideal for him.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
FYI....There's a rumor out there that the Canes have a buyer and would stay in Carolina. If true, I'm not sure it changes anything but maybe the new owner would loosen up the purse strings some?

Scott Soshnick is a reporter for Bloomberg Sports

No offense what-so-ever, I enjoy your contributions to our board, but I don't understand your reasoning for posting this here. Unless you think a new owner could force GMRF into trading one of your top 4?

Avs44

May 16, 2011
No offense what-so-ever, I enjoy your contributions to our board, but I don't understand your reasoning for posting this here. Unless you think a new owner could force GMRF into trading one of your top 4?

I don't think Francis will really change his vision regardless of ownership. He seems to have a plan. I suppose it could be a sort of response to the poster around here yesterday telling Boom Boom Aho that the Canes probably won't be staying in Carolina.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Not so much force. Reasoning was that part of the reason that Francis was concerned about a deal was that he might not be able to re-sign Duchene after two years. Part of that "could" (my speculation) have been due to Karmanos having tight purse strings, so Francis would have to not only convince Duchene to stay, but get Karmanos to pony up the money that Duchene would command. If a new owner has looser purse strings, he might think it's more feasible to do a trade. That's all. Thought it would be of interest for that reason only.

I still don't think it would happen this year, but if Duchene isn't moved this season, next year might be more ideal. Fleury would have a year under his belt which might make moving Hanifin more palatable and the Canes can immediately talk extension, so with a new owner (with hopefully deeper pockets), that may be an avenue.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I don't think Francis will really change his vision regardless of ownership. He seems to have a plan. I suppose it could be a sort of response to the poster around here yesterday telling Boom Boom Aho that the Canes probably won't be staying in Carolina.

I completely agree

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Not so much force. Reasoning was that part of the reason that Francis was concerned about a deal was that he might not be able to re-sign Duchene after two years. Part of that "could" (my speculation) have been due to Karmanos having tight purse strings, so Francis would have to not only convince Duchene to stay, but get Karmanos to pony up the money that Duchene would command. If a new owner has looser purse strings, he might think it's more feasible to do a trade. That's all. Thought it would be of interest for that reason only.

Here's to hoping, but I still don't think these two teams will ever agree to a trade. Sakic isn't budging and Francis doesn't seem to want to touch his top 4.

I still don't think it would happen this year, but if Duchene isn't moved this season, next year might be more ideal. Fleury would have a year under his belt which might make moving Hanifin more palatable and the Canes can immediately talk extension, so with a new owner (with hopefully deeper pockets), that may be an avenue.

Very possible, I've said it before and they keep proving me wrong, but I'll be pretty surprised if we still have Duchene come next offseason.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Struggled with the increased center responsibilities and stuck on the 3rd line (with little PP time). His defensive growth was solid. His time in Calgary might be nearing the end if Backlund has another good year and is re-signed. Jankowski is the future #3C there and shipping Bennett out as a younger center now makes sense for Calgary. If he stays, he will be converted into a RW... which won't be ideal for him.

I'd assume if they did get Duchene, with Backlund and Monahan there, Duchene would be slotted in the top line RW spot.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Ron Francis hasn't budged on getting a 1st liner so I don't see it happening despite them being the only team that can really afford it (they have the depth to replace Hanifin, Nashville can't replace losing one of their top 4 D and Columbus can't really afford to give their best prospect up front). I'd probably take a wait-and-see approach if I'm them.

Not just our sections, but that whole column felt like pushing someone's BS

Yeah that's most NHL Insiders especially Friedman who was once a respected journalist turned insider piece of ****. He has nothing to report but he has a column to fill.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

If Joe isn't ready to take a futures package and go all in on Dahlin / McIsaac; I think that's what he's hoping for.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Very possible, I've said it before and they keep proving me wrong, but I'll be pretty surprised if we still have Duchene come next offseason.

I suspect you are right. If he rebounds, as I suspect he will, and the Avs struggle, I can see him be traded to a team by the deadline, if he's not gone sooner for a good return.

zzs06

Jul 11, 2017
Can anyone tell me how 2018 draft prospect Svechnikov compares with Laine? I know we all want Dahlin but we need scoring as well especially if Duchene leaves. I hear this kid is a stud but don't really know anything about him. Laine had a great rookie season so hopefully you guys can tell me how they compare. Thanks

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Can anyone tell me how 2018 draft prospect Svechnikov compares with Laine? I know we all want Dahlin but we need scoring as well especially if Duchene leaves. I hear this kid is a stud but don't really know anything about him. Laine had a great rookie season so hopefully you guys can tell me how they compare. Thanks

Svechnikov now has a lot more hype than Laine did a year before his draft; but the finnish sniper rose rapidly in his draft year and addressed some of the questions about his attitude. If Svech has a comparable draft season he'll be an even better prospect. ATM he looks like the best russian prospect since Malkin. I'd love him if we can get a Duchene for Hanifin trade to work; but otherwise Dahlin or McIsaac would be just too perfect for us if the lotto gods reward us for the pain they caused this year.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
I hear a lot about Svechnikov, Dahlin and McIsaac. Is 2018 currently made up of this big three, plus others, or is it a bigger group including more than these three at the top? Is it a top 3, top 5 or too soon to call thing? Thanks

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I hear a lot about Svechnikov, Dahlin and McIsaac. Is 2018 currently made up of this big three, plus others, or is it a bigger group including more than these three at the top? Is it a top 3, top 5 or too soon to call thing? Thanks

There's a lot, way too early to call tiers. Svechnikov and Dahlin are probably the top 2 and maybe even a group of 20 who could eventually go top 5.

It's early but I wouldn't even mind taking one of the top forwards and then a D with a second first (should that ever materialize) because there seriously could be 15 first round D in this class. Options abound.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It is more of a top 2 (Svech and Dahlin)... then a next ~12++ with McIsaac, Tkachuk, Veleno, Zadina, Hughes, Wilde, Wahlstrom, Merkley, Kotkaniemi, McLeod, amongst others.

Svechnikov is more of a speed and skilled game compared to Laine (not saying Laine isn't skilled, and that Svech doesn't player a power game... both do, they just tilt slightly differently). Laine has a much better shot. Svechnikov is much better all around.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
What hench is saying is why I think trying to tank for Dahlin or Svech is a bad idea...combined with what we also see is entirely possible in the current draft lottery system. That's not to say we won't be bad simply because we don't have a good NHL team roster - but I'd love to see some momentum build through the season and the team start to come together and have fun by winning some games.

That's more important to me then trying to finish the season with the highest percentage shot at Dahlin, especially because that will max out at 20% no matter what.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What hench is saying is why I think trying to tank for Dahlin or Svech is a bad idea...combined with what we also see is entirely possible in the current draft lottery system. That's not to say we won't be bad simply because we don't have a good NHL team roster - but I'd love to see some momentum build through the season and the team start to come together and have fun by winning some games.

That's more important to me then trying to finish the season with the highest percentage shot at Dahlin, especially because that will max out at 20% no matter what.

That's really two different arguments. Just talking about the draft, it's not that nobody is good outside the top 2 because they haven't separated themselves, it's that so many are good is why they haven't. This might change when the draft year starts but it's more of like a 2015 situation where there's going to be a big group of very good prospects.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

I don't know if 'trying to tank' is the phrase I'd use...maybe more 'a very possible eventuality'.

The Avs have done some nice things this off-season with the changes to the coaching staff, the beauchemin buyout and all of the bad players they let walk out of here...it should be a nice 'addition by substraction' type of situation. Hopefully Bennett can improve the Power Play.

But unless some pretty miraculous stuff happens, this likely won't be enough to transform this team from dead last to a playoff team. As we've seen this year, finishing in the bottom 3 doesn't guarantee anything and while the top-2 guys look like they could be 'franchise changers', the 2018 draft is going to be so strong that team with multiple picks will make out like bandits.

I think it could very well be the best draft since 2003. Imagine going into THAT draft with a Top-10 pick + 2 other first round picks???

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2003e.html

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
This team won't have to try to tank... IMO this is pretty easily a bottom 5 roster, so it will come naturally. There will be tiers that form over the course of the year and players that jump up the ratings (Kurashev anyone)... the top 2 just look like elite talents. Dahlin might be generational. I'd really like the Avs to pick up another 2018 1st... even if it is around 15-20 where a team could land a Levin/Groulx/Thomas sorts of players.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
I know Sakic won't do it but I wish he would trade MD to NYI for the top picks they have this season and next. It would be nice to have the ammo to get another top 10 pick. Now that we have Makar I would like to see Sakic put Barrie on the block now for futures too.

My fear is that he makes a deal with CLB (Murray)and we end up in the no-mans-land 12-14 range.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
It is more of a top 2 (Svech and Dahlin)... then a next ~12++ with McIsaac, Tkachuk, Veleno, Zadina, Hughes, Wilde, Wahlstrom, Merkley, Kotkaniemi, McLeod, amongst others.

Yeaahhhh no it's July, there will be no 'next 12+' come next June when some of these players start to really rise or fall. There's gonna be a difference between #4 and #10 by that point and all I know is that I would rather finish last even if it means dropping down to 4th after the lottery and picking fourth rather than picking 10th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad