Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXXV| “We still need a 2nd Line, Joe!” Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Poor bastard.

True. But I dunno.. if the choice is between being a multi millionaire or a slightly less multi millionaire but you help out your team towards your goal? I'd take the latter. How much money do people really need?

That's very easy to say when you're not actually faced with that decision. If you do end up in a position to make that choice & make it, I will tip my cap to ya.

Reactions: Tommy G

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Fortunately with tools like capfriendly, this needn't be an article of faith and can be approximated ;)

Really? You've never had an employer that had financial limits to deal with?

It must be nice working for Goldman.
Touche.

On the other hand i never tried to win the Stanley Cup and my salary is more in the low 5 figures/year than 7-8. So when you don't make much you probably need every penny. But i doubt that Marner for example will starve to death if he signs for 9 instead of the 10+ he wants. But hey, what do i know because ...

tenor.gif

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
So Nevada has no personal state income tax. That explains Karlsson coming in so much lower than expected. Vegas and the Florida teams (and Seattle soon) get such an advantage in playing around the cap compared to other teams.
This is a little misleading though. States with no sales tax etc dimg the hell out of you with other taxes and fees. I remember working oil fields in Wyoming way back when and they had no state tax. But when I went to register a vehicle, it cost me two grand a year for it. Also property taxes are high. I can't imagine a young man not enjoying the night life of Las Vegas. The weather in the winter is mild and lake Mead is one crazy party all summer long

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Wonder if there will be any leaks about who the Avs are talking to during the negotiation window
I’m sure they will. As secretive as the Avs are, the negotiation period is the most ideal time for agents to spill as many teams names to the media as they possibly can to inflate the market.

Sakic probably won’t tell you who he spoke to, but player agents will.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Touche.

On the other hand i never tried to win the Stanley Cup and my salary is more in the low 5 figures/year than 7-8. So when you don't make much you probably need every penny. But i doubt that Marner for example will starve to death if he signs for 9 instead of the 10+ he wants. But hey, what do i know because ...

I see. So it's ok for you to be greedy because you have no valuable skills, but Marner needs to stop taking advantage of poor Rogers lest they only make 3.586 billion CAD next quarter instead of the 3.587 billion that they made in the 1st quarter of 2019.

I get it now.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
You don't have to be money hungry to not give the billionaire cutting your checks a discount on your services :dunno:
I don't think I'd care about sticking it to the billionaire as much as I would about wanting to win. If me making 7 million dollars a year versus 6 million meant we had a better chance at winning, I guess I'd just have to wait a bit longer to stock my closet with all my Gucci dreams.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
I see. So it's ok for you to be greedy because you have no valuable skills, but Marner needs to stop taking advantage of poor Rogers lest they only make 3.586 billion CAD next quarter instead of the 3.587 billion that they made in the 1st quarter of 2019.

I get it now.
No, you obviously don't. And getting personal is not proving your point, it just makes you look like a dick.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't think I'd care about sticking it to the billionaire as much as I would about wanting to win. If me making 7 million dollars a year versus 6 million meant we had a better chance at winning, I guess I'd just have to wait a bit longer to stock my closet with all my Gucci dreams.

That’s easy to say right now when you don’t have that choice.

Everybody wants to be paid what they’re worth. Me. You. Professional athletes. Everybody.

Reactions: Nihiliste and cgf

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
You get it. Thank you.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
That’s easy to say right now when you don’t have that choice.

Everybody wants to be paid what they’re worth. Me. You. Professional athletes. Everybody.
That's fair. I'm not saying I'd take 500k versus 7M because then we really would have a better chance to win, I'd wanna be fairly paid, but I don't think I'd have a problem taking a bit of a discount if it meant we had a better shot at the goal that me and all my comrades have been living for our entire lives. It's not really an outlandish thing and am surprised it's this touchy for some people. It does happen through the NHL, not a ton but enough times where it's notable.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Why stop at 6M if you're not going to take what you're worth? League minimum is more than enough to live comfortably on and still be able to start saving. And if MacK, Mikko, Landy & Barrie were making minimum wage, then they'd be sure to win a lot more.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No, you obviously don't. And getting personal is not proving your point, it just makes you look like a dick.

Then what's the logic that I'm not getting? Why is it ok for you to be "greedy" just because your skills hold little value and not NHLers who are in high demand?

...and I am a dick, but I wasn't getting personal. My skills...at least the ones I'm willing to commit enough time & energy to, to make money off of...also hold no value. There was no judgement there. Just that by definition, the skills required to warrant an 8-digit salary are significantly more valuable than those needed to draw a low 5-digit one. :dunno:

Last edited:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Why stop at 6M if you're not going to take what you're worth? League minimum is more than enough to live comfortably on and still be able to start saving. And if MacK, Mikko, Landy & Barrie were making minimum wage, then they'd be sure to win a lot more.
See my above post. This has clearly struck some kind of nerve for you so I'm just gunna drop it.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
It's not really that uncommon for people to take less money for a more favorable situation. For most people the discount would be relatively small.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
See my above post. This has clearly struck some kind of nerve for you so I'm just gunna drop it.

Ah, the good ole "well clearly you're upset by this otherwise you would just agree with & join me on my high-horse" routine. Such a classic.

But no worries man, we're cool, I totally understand how illogical jealousy makes people :rolleyes:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Paul Kariya took what amounted to the largest pay cut in National Hockey League history -- an $8.8-million reduction from the $10-million annual pay he received last season from the Anaheim Mighty Ducks -- and signed a one-year, $1.2-million contract with the Colorado Avalanche.

Crazy times, never to be seen again in the NHL.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's not really that uncommon for people to take less money for a more favorable situation. For most people the discount would be relatively small.

But that happens more often than not in the NHL. Otherwise, UFAs who change teams wouldn't make more than comparable players who sign extensions with their current clubs. This is exactly what Henchy was talking about when he called the extra 500K per on Skinner's contract a "Buffalo-tax".

avalanche_country

Mar 3, 2004
Denver, CO
I know it’s peanuts compared to NHL contracts, but I once turned down a 7k a year raise to remain at the place I was working after I told them I was leaving. It was a lateral move but long term was a better fit. Turns out I made the right choice as this was 3 years ago.

Reactions: Ryan Patsky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad