Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXVI|Kerfoot or Corefoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I really like Erik Karlsson but the team that signs him long term for $11-12M/year will live to regret it. I think he's peaked a couple of years ago and with his lower body injury history, he might slow down in a big way.
I'd fear the term more than the cap hit.

Reactions: klozge

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Avs in desperate need of secondary scoring and they add Matt Calvert. Vegas adds Mark Stone, Paul Stastny and Max Pacioretty in 8 months. I know a lot of people didn’t like the age of the latter two but that’s a legit 1st line added to that team.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Avs in desperate need of secondary scoring and they add Matt Calvert. Vegas adds Mark Stone, Paul Stastny and Max Pacioretty in 8 months. I know a lot of people didn’t like the age of the latter two but that’s a legit 1st line added to that team.

Let's just hope that Sakic has learned from his mistakes and manages to sign at least one big UFA in the summer. Of course, it isn't only about what Sakic wants but what the player wants. But I really want one of Panarin/EK/Hayes/Skinner etc. We need better secondary scoring, we need MacK & co with less minutes.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Let's just hope that Sakic has learned from his mistakes and manages to sign at least one big UFA in the summer. Of course, it isn't only about what Sakic wants but what the player wants. But I really want one of Panarin/EK/Hayes/Skinner etc. We need better secondary scoring, we need MacK & co with less minutes.
I have a feeling we’re going to go the trade route instead of UFA. I also have a feeling our target might be from Vegas. They’re going to have a hard time signing Wild Bill. I’d love to add him.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Sure but the two teams were in very different situations. Vegas just made the cup finals and were legit cup contenders.

Avs weren't there yet and were still a very young team. IMO this year would be the year to be aggressive in free agency and/or trade.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Sure but the two teams were in very different situations. Vegas just made the cup finals and were legit cup contenders.
Not to mention the plethora of picks and prospects they had available to trade for Stone and Pacioretty, as well as being a desirable location for players to re-sign.

Stone wanted to golf year round. May as well go to a desert.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Avs weren't there yet and were still a very young team. IMO this year would be the year to be aggressive in free agency and/or trade.
Definitely. But all 3 of those guys were all perfect fits for the Avs. I was preaching to acquire each one as they were available. I’m not saying the Avs should have acquired all three. I’m saying they acquired 0 of them and Vegas made it look easy to nab 3 of them.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Definitely. But all 3 of those guys were all perfect fits for the Avs. I was preaching to acquire each one as they were available. I’m not saying the Avs should have acquired all three. I’m saying they acquired 0 of them and Vegas made it look easy to nab 3 of them.

Well we tried with Stastny. And by all accounts we had interest in Stone as well.

But Vegas made it easy because they had the cap space to easily afford all 3(admittedly we did also), but more importantly all 3 showed real interest in signing with Vegas, especially Stone who was willing to sign immediately after being traded. That made it a lot easier for Vegas to cope with the assets they gave up.

Hopefully the Avs can have that kind of success this summer after back to back playoff experiences and some real high quality youth be thrown into the mix.

Jixer19

Dec 19, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
It is almost like the other team has to agree to trade with you, or the player has to agree to sign the contract here, for all we know, Sakic offered more for Stone but Dorian didn't want to deal with Sakic. I know there was info we offered more money to Stastny, but he went to Vegas.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
It is almost like the other team has to agree to trade with you, or the player has to agree to sign the contract here, for all we know, Sakic offered more for Stone but Dorian didn't want to deal with Sakic. I know there was info we offered more money to Stastny, but he went to Vegas.

I'm not saying what I was told re: Stastny was correct (though I believe it to be accurate), but I never had it that we offered more money than Vegas, quite the opposite actually. What I recall being told was that our offer was similar (maybe slightly better than Winnipeg's), and it looked like he was deciding between us and WPG, but then Vegas came in and offered substantially more per year.

Reactions: Foppberg and cgf

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Honestly with Kadri about to get the hammer dropped on him I would go for him.

Would come cheaper than he should, and just hope he does not get suspended next playoffs.....

Reactions: mapletreemarty

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

:dunno: we could've easily beaten the offers that were accepted for ROR & Hayes, did Buffalo & NYR not wanna deal with us as well?

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Jixer19

Dec 19, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not saying what I was told re: Stastny was correct (though I believe it to be accurate), but I never had it that we offered more money than Vegas, quite the opposite actually. What I recall being told was that our offer was similar (maybe slightly better than Winnipeg's), and it looked like he was deciding between us and WPG, but then Vegas came in and offered substantially more per year.

You might be right actually now that I think about it, my bad. I just recalled we were in the same tier (maybe slightly higher) than other teams, then left it at that as he was part of Vegas and to be frank, couldn't care less anymore about what could have happened, since it already happened.

Jixer19

Dec 19, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
:dunno: we could've easily beaten the offers that were accepted for ROR & Hayes, did Buffalo & NYR not wanna deal with us as well?

Who knows, go do some digging if you want to know, I am sure the info is out there. I personally could care less about $$$ man and Hayes I don't think solves our 2nd line problems. Don't get me wrong, would be a good addition by subtraction, it just adds another solid 3rd liner that can fill in on the 2nd. We need a real threat on the 2nd to actually draw attention off of the 1st line.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Who knows, go do some digging if you want to know, I am sure the info is out there. I personally could care less about $$$ man and Hayes I don't think solves our 2nd line problems. Don't get me wrong, would be a good addition by subtraction, it just adds another solid 3rd liner that can fill in on the 2nd. We need a real threat on the 2nd to actually draw attention off of the 1st line.

Hayes would be an average 2C, which I'd consider a substantial upgrade on what we have now. Soderberg is a low-end 2C/high-end 3C, and none of Jost/Kerfoot/Compher have shown they're capable of taking that position. Personally speaking, I hope they go Cozens/Turcotte at 4, sign Hayes (and maybe even another F like Ferland), and then allow Cozens/Turcotte to break in without immediate pressure of being the 2C.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

And that's just the way it goes. I am a fan of Stastny and was no doubt disappointed we didn't get him... But 6.5M for a 33 year old Stastny for 3 years was a risky contract, enough that it made sense to stay away. Obviously in hindsight it looks pretty good for them given what he's doing in the playoffs right now and his regular season(Though he did miss 30 games).

Anyway no point crying over spilled milk. Hayes is a very similar level of player available this summer IMO, a good ~50 point #2C with a sound defensive game, probably not quite as strong in that regard as Paul but still quite good. The big difference as to why I'd be willing to go to 6.5 for Hayes is age. Hayes being only 28 makes it much more comfortable to give him a 5-6 year deal knowing at the end of such a deal he'd only be the age Paul is now.

Jixer19

Dec 19, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
Hayes would be an average 2C, which I'd consider a substantial upgrade on what we have now. Soderberg is a low-end 2C/high-end 3C, and none of Jost/Kerfoot/Compher have shown they're capable of taking that position. Personally speaking, I hope they go Cozens/Turcotte at 4, sign Hayes (and maybe even another F like Ferland), and then allow Cozens/Turcotte to break in without immediate pressure of being the 2C.

In a dream world, if they added Hayes along with Panarin, would be a solid 2nd line with whoever they threw on the other wing. I agree though, he is an upgrade, I just hope we get a solid threat for that 2nd line this off season, not sure how feasible it will be, but one can hope.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Honestly with Kadri about to get the hammer dropped on him I would go for him.

Would come cheaper than he should, and just hope he does not get suspended next playoffs.....
The problem with acquiring Kadri is that he would have to stay away from anymore suspensions because they will only get longer and longer from here. That is two years in a row that he is missing games in the playoffs due to suspensions. You just can't have that on your team for playoffs. I would love to have Kadri the hockey player though but I hate Kadri the goon.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

It's you're theory, you should be the one to support it. Especially when the alternative explanation doesn't involve an anti-Av conspiracy...

And obvi, else you wouldn't still be salty about ROR...but I sure hope Joe isn't making decisions about whether or not to address this team's needs based on how you feel about the player in question. The simple reality is that we still need a 2C and at least 1 top 6 winger; a fact that was obvious before the season; Hayes is a capable 2C who moved this season at a very beatable price, ROR is a quality 1C who moved prior to the season at a very beatable price, and Joe landed neither of them. We can make excuses for him all you want, but sooner or later he's going to need to actually address this team's needs or own that failure to do so :dunno:
In a dream world, if they added Hayes along with Panarin, would be a solid 2nd line with whoever they threw on the other wing. I agree though, he is an upgrade, I just hope we get a solid threat for that 2nd line this off season, not sure how feasible it will be, but one can hope.

If you've got Panarin on it, that's more than just a solid 2nd line...

Reactions: CobraAcesS

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Vegas has a super deep forward group and that was before Gusev. If Gusev is a hit (I suspect he’ll be a legit top 6 scorer off the bat), then your looking at a ridiculous forward group and that’s before Haula (29 goals and 55 points last year) even gets back.

Heck I’d kick the tires on Haula himself. I know he’s got the “stench of the Wild” on him but he’s a tremendously versatile, fast player who can excel both ways and Vegas is winning without him this season so perhaps he could be dealt. Plus he makes only $2.75 million next season.

Jixer19

Dec 19, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
It's you're theory, you should be the one to support it.

My "theory" was, there is more than just offering more money for a free agent, or more assests in a trade, the other side has to agree with it. Not sure why I would need to support that.

And obvi, else you wouldn't still be salty about ROR....

Not sure how I am "salty" about ROR, his contract setup just made me laugh, paid up front and even if a lockout happens. (I know as an actual person it is smart, and I wish I could be paid before I do anything for the year and even if I got fired to get a full paycheque) but as a fan of a team, just seems like the wrong message, but this is off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad