Confirmed with Link: Avs going to Chase Bradley for 2-year ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
They only make 85K in minor league. How can someone even afford a house and a car with that kind of money. Hockey equipment alone probably can cost thousands of bucks. Hopefully the minor league gives players some kind of scholarship or something to cover for the costs.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
They only make 85K in minor league. How can someone even afford a house and a car with that kind of money. Hockey equipment alone probably can cost thousands of bucks. Hopefully the minor league gives players some kind of scholarship or something to cover for the costs.
that's how much money I make and I can afford a house and a car (although neither are especially impressive)

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Affording housing and a car on 85K is like really easy?

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Room with a couple teammates, don't drive a brand new car, and it's easily affordable.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't even know where to start. Not trying to sound mean, but this is a very... naive post.

85k is a decent salary for the average American. For a 22 year old, it probably puts him in the 1% of earners in his age bracket.

If you play on any professional sports team, all your gear is comped. He'll probably get a dozen ~$500 sticks, along with at least 2-3 pieces of every other gear. So right there that's an extra 5-10k 'bonus' in equipment.

They also get all their travel comped, access to trainers/masseuse/nutritionists, along with a food stipend for whenever they're on the road.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I don't even know where to start. Not trying to sound mean, but this is a very... naive post.

85k is a decent salary for the average American. For a 22 year old, it probably puts him in the 1% of earners in his age bracket.

If you play on any professional sports team, all your gear is comped. He'll probably get a dozen ~$500 sticks, along with at least 2-3 pieces of every other gear. So right there that's an extra 5-10k 'bonus' in equipment.

They also get all their travel comped, access to trainers/masseuse/nutritionists, along with a food stipend for whenever they're on the road.
Yeah, not too shabby after all.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't make anywhere close to 85k per year, and I can afford housing, a car, and some travel once in a while pretty comfortably. I rent my place, but probably so would he if he's not on a long term contract.

Reactions: The Moops

Cake Malar

Oct 14, 2017

Also… all these ELCs get a $90-100k signing bonus every year. So it’s more like they make around $175k/year

Cake Malar

Oct 14, 2017
Not every year. Signing bonus is a one-off for the ELC.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but on all the contract details posted to capfriendly/puckpedia show that each year has its own signing bonus and then salary listed for both pro and minors. I was always under the impression that signing bonuses are paid every year on Jul 1.

1719933752397.png

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I bought my first house when I was making $45K and I had 2 cars + a motorcycle with no debt (besides the mortgage). What world are you living in?

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I bought my first house when I was making $45K and I had 2 cars + a motorcycle with no debt (besides the mortgage). What world are you living in?
Good financial planning man. Not everyone is as good!

But savings has to come from something. Lifestyle or material possessions. Can't have it all, unless huge salary.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
One where the median house price is 420k and mortgage rates are >6%. :sarcasm:

(Most AHL players have their housing paid for)
lmao yeah - this was like 12ish years ago when interest rates were nothing. The perks of living in a rural area - house was a custom build. $145K lmao. Those days are long gone o_O. Cars weren't anything special either. Bike was nice though. Saved up for a while for that one
Are you 70????
My knees say yes

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
lmao yeah - this was like 12ish years ago when interest rates were nothing. The perks of living in a rural area - house was a custom build. $145K lmao. Those days are long gone o_O. Cars weren't anything special either. Bike was nice though. Saved up for a while for that one

My knees say yes
My first house was ~10 years ago for 164k. I still had some student loans and still a year away from being promoted. That first 18 months I felt house poor. In that same area, the 'cheapest' house is up for sale at 325k and it is kinda dumpy. Decent starter homes are pushing 360. No way I could have afforded that on the salary I had + inflation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad