Prospect Info: Avs draft F Calum Ritchie (2023 #27 overall)

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Nuke/Mack/Mikko
Lehky/Mitts/Ritchie
Landy/Colton/Koval
Wood/Trenin/LOC

Towes/Makar
G/Manz
Behrens/Malinski
No chance Kovalenko plays third line over LOC unless the latter comes back super rusty.
No chance Bednar rocks two rookies on a pairing either.

I'd ditch Colton and let Landy/Ritchie hold that third line C spot down until the deadline.
Then you keep a. Walker or b. Drouin depending on contract demands.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Watching Wyatt the Riot light it up these playoffs has me hopeful this dude can become even half the player.

TatteredTornNFrayed

very angry indeed
Jan 15, 2008
Would be interested to hear opinions from someone who understands the finer points of NHL shot mechanics about Ritchies shot. Something about it looks a bit different to me, but I don't know if it is a good or bad thing. Quite often looks almost more like a pitchfork or golf swing to me than most.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Would be interested to hear opinions from someone who understands the finer points of NHL shot mechanics about Ritchies shot. Something about it looks a bit different to me, but I don't know if it is a good or bad thing. Quite often looks almost more like a pitchfork or golf swing to me than most.

Your question makes me wonder if you’ve golfed or used a pitchfork before :sarcasm:

Haven’t seen him much, or in person, but from what I have seen he has a really quick release on his wrist/snapshots which leads to him getting the shot off from a variety of stances/postures - sometimes in his feet, sometimes away from his body. Might be what’s throwing your eye off?

It’s like the opposite of Kadri needing to toe drag the puck for 5 seconds before shooting.

Being able to get a quality shot off from within a phone booth is something this team has lacked, sign me up!

TatteredTornNFrayed

very angry indeed
Jan 15, 2008
Your question makes me wonder if you’ve golfed or used a pitchfork before :sarcasm:
:laugh: Yes actually. More than I've shot a hockey puck/stick. Used to golf a lot, but never well.

I know it's not even close to either of those motions. Just not sure how to describe what looks slightly different about it.

As I mentioned before, I 'm not saying I think I see anything wrong at all. Just interested in any analyses of his shot.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Ritchie's shot has a hitch to it... it stems from how he is generating the power on his shot. It kinda feels like there is a stutter to it. He doesn't use as much rotational force from his core and relies on his arms and wrists a lot, specifically the bottom hand. It creates a more snappy/pushy motion. He needs to work on rotating his core more load and explode of his legs... while pushing the top hand away from his body.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
:laugh: Yes actually. More than I've shot a hockey puck/stick. Used to golf a lot, but never well.

I know it's not even close to either of those motions. Just not sure how to describe what looks slightly different about it.

As I mentioned before, I 'm not saying I think I see anything wrong at all. Just interested in any analyses of his shot.
You're just too used to watching the Avs overpass that anytime someone takes an actual shot, it looks weird.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Ritchie's shot has a hitch to it... it stems from how he is generating the power on his shot. It kinda feels like there is a stutter to it. He doesn't use as much rotational force from his core and relies on his arms and wrists a lot, specifically the bottom hand. It creates a more snappy/pushy motion. He needs to work on rotating his core more load and explode of his legs... while pushing the top hand away from his body.
I'll have to watch Ritchie more but that description reminds me of Hejduk in a way.

Watching him fire bullets from all sorts of angles without needing to set his feet to get strength from his entire body and generating all that power from his wrists was magnificent.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'll have to watch Ritchie more but that description reminds me of Hejduk in a way.

Watching him fire bullets from all sorts of angles without needing to set his feet to get strength from his entire body and generating all that power from his wrists was magnificent.
Hejduk had some of the purest weight transition and loading of any player I have ever watched. It didn't look like it was coming from his body, but Duke's was generating a lot with his legs.

Ritchie's shot is nowhere near that and nobody should expect it. Ritchie's hitch and method of power generation are not positive things, they are things that need to be worked out to clean up his release and make it less predictable.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Hejduk had some of the purest weight transition and loading of any player I have ever watched. It didn't look like it was coming from his body, but Duke's was generating a lot with his legs.

Ritchie's shot is nowhere near that and nobody should expect it. Ritchie's hitch and method of power generation are not positive things, they are things that need to be worked out to clean up his release and make it less predictable.
It never looked like Duke needed any time or space to set his feet to get that rocket off.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Ritchie with two apples again tonight. After taking a 3-0 lead the series is now 3-2. Game 6 is on Sunday.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
After what we saw from Mittlestadt in the Dallas series, this joke might not be that funny anymore.

Avs need a 2C who can put the puck in the net.
Mitts is primarily a playmaker, everyone who had watched him previously knew this. What they need to do is actually give him stable linemates to build some chemistry with, rather than just desperately hoping that by giving MacKinnon all the good wingers that he'll pout less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad