Confirmed with Link: Avs claim G Kaapo Kähkönen off waiwers from WPG

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Cumulative stats from 21-22 until last season for goaltenders with minimum 2400 minutes or 40 games played (62 in total):

GSAA:
Georgiev: 14.51
Kahkonen: -18.76

High Danger Goals Saved Above Expected:
Georgiev: 6.67
Kahkonen: -8.17

This ain't pretty lmao
Last save of goalies with 1500+ minutes: George -0.18 GSAA/60 Kahkonen -0.19 GSAA/60

On the bright side, we can get an experiment of how two different known shitty goalies do behind this defense. Maybe we find other super shitty goalies may do better than George...

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Would not surprise me to see us pan for gold on the waiver wire a few times this season. If Kahkonen fails maybe the next guy works, or the next next guy, or the next next guy....

Of course the real inevitable move is overpaying by a fortune for a mid tier keeper at the deadline.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I like the idea of rotating goalies. Some games Annunen plays and Georgiev is a healthy scratch, some games Georgiev munches popcorn while Kähkönen plays.

And for heaven's sake, at least try to pronounce his name. I know Nathan Rudolph sarcastically totally mispronounced it, but anyway.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I like the idea of rotating goalies. Some games Annunen plays and Georgiev is a healthy scratch, some games Georgiev munches popcorn while Kähkönen plays.

And for heaven's sake, at least try to pronounce his name. I know Nathan Rudolph sarcastically totally mispronounced it, but anyway.
Serious question... has a 3 goalie rotation ever worked?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
No, it's shit for everyone involved, even in practices as there's only 2 nets to work with.
There probably has to be a moment where 3 had some improvement for some team, but I seriously can't recall a team making any noise with a 3 goalie rotation (not just a random game here or there). By that I mean a playoff run, excellent regular season, etc. We've seen platoons work. We've see young guys take over the net from a Vet. But I don't recall a 3 goalie rotation ever working.

No, but "not working" is a higher bar than what we have going on right now.
Sadly, I think this can still get a lot worse. Just wait until Rantanen is indicted on first degree murder charges.

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
At least management recognizes the urgency of the situation this season. I appreciate that they're much less complacent than in past seasons.

I don't think Kahkonen is the solution but at this point we have to try anything.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Can he play forward? Because we need forwards. They’re dropping like flies

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
At least management recognizes the urgency of the situation this season. I appreciate that they're much less complacent than in past seasons.

I don't think Kahkonen is the solution but at this point we have to try anything.
I mean, we got Protsetov around the same time last year. This is basically the same, no?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think it is insurance. I had hopes for Kahkonen to be a serviceable back up in the league and he might still be with us, but he's another Karpisalo at this point. Flawed technique and puck-tracking problems.

Yeah we need more of that lol

Checks Fourgiev last season in New York’s SV%….

What was it lol?

Those are about the least inspiring words you can find about an acquisition. :laugh:

I actually prefer it over him saying anything nice about 4Giev though.

Serious question... has a 3 goalie rotation ever worked?

Mikko will earn his raise by fixing the issue.

One guy is young, another is about to get a crack at one of the easiest teams he's ever played behind, and the third is a shit.

I have a feeling things will shake out quickly lol.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I mean, we got Protsetov around the same time last year. This is basically the same, no?
Yes, and like @henchman21 pointed out, the Avs have been interested in Kähkönen before. So even though on the surface it might seem like this is a knee-jerk reaction to the awful performance by Georgiev (and not a confidence inspiring relief by Annunen), the truth is that Kähkönen was probably going to get claimed by the Avs even if Georgiev had a shutout.

• Haha

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah we need more of that lol

What was it lol?

I actually prefer it over him saying anything nice about 4Giev though.

Mikko will earn his raise by fixing the issue.

One guy is young, another is about to get a crack at one of the easiest teams he's ever played behind, and the third is a shit.

I have a feeling things will shake out quickly lol.
1728682666974.png

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Last save of goalies with 1500+ minutes: George -0.18 GSAA/60 Kahkonen -0.19 GSAA/60

On the bright side, we can get an experiment of how two different known shitty goalies do behind this defense. Maybe we find other super shitty goalies may do better than George...
From 20-21 to 21-22 of goalies with 1800+ minutes (52 goalies) Kahkonen ranked 29th in GSAA/60 and 12th in xGA/60.

IF (big if) we can get that version of Kahkonen, the Avs might be ok... but that's a huge ask and he also wasn't a full time starter during that time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad