GDT: Avs at Hockey Club - October 5, 2024 at 5pm MT (Final preseason game)

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I was thinking about this the other day, and I kinda agree.

The problem seems 2 fold to me.

1. Other teams know how the Avs play to a T. Bednars been with us for what? 8 years? He's an amazing coach, but he's been here a loooong time. The Avs only know 1 way to create offense, with a high tempo, high skill, off the rush type of game. If teams take that away they get frustrated really quick.

2. The players themselves seem somewhat bored and/or complacent with the same style/coach. Especially the guys who have been with Bednar a long time like Mack/Rants, Makar, Toews, Girard, etc. Its like the go thru the motions a little bit.

I dunno I hope Bednar does some tweaks this year to the overall game play and lines as well. We have become a bit stale/predictable imo.
I have been hammering this for a while, we should have brought in new assistants.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I was thinking about this the other day, and I kinda agree.

The problem seems 2 fold to me.

1. Other teams know how the Avs play to a T. Bednars been with us for what? 8 years? He's an amazing coach, but he's been here a loooong time. The Avs only know 1 way to create offense, with a high tempo, high skill, off the rush type of game. If teams take that away they get frustrated really quick.

2. The players themselves seem somewhat bored and/or complacent with the same style/coach. Especially the guys who have been with Bednar a long time like Mack/Rants, Makar, Toews, Girard, etc. Its like the go thru the motions a little bit.

I dunno I hope Bednar does some tweaks this year to the overall game play and lines as well. We have become a bit stale/predictable imo.
I think we extended Bednar not too long ago but even so, I just think this team should be in line for a major shake-up trade.

Watching Rantanen last night - he really didn't do very much without MacKinnon (not unexpected) and he's highly skilled but seems only dangerous on the PP and that's apparently a guy we want to pay $11-12m per year? Huge mistake just waiting to happen.

Georgiev - let's in 2 goals on what - 3 actual dangerous scoring chances all night? Thankfully, he's in the last year of his deal. I hope Annunen gets more starts this year...we gotta see what he's capable of. In any case, I don't think Georgiev is back next year.

Sammy G - I thought he played well and overall, he's a pretty good player but maybe could be traded for a more defensive-minded PK guy. I've mentioned before that Mario Ferraro saves us $$ against the cap and played with Makar in college.

Probably none of these things will happen but sometimes, you have to make changes to some of the core to keep moving forward.

I have been hammering this for a while, we should have brought in new assistants.
Yeah I've been waiting a long time to get a new special teams specifically because the PP never changes but the guy seems like he's gonna be here until he retires.

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
Season hasn't even started but some of us are already on meltdown.

Rantanen is a 100+point player and our team is not stale. There.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad