Post-Game Talk: Avs 6 - Jets 3, Avs win Series 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Keefe had the brains to switch goalies for the Leafs, old dinosaur Bones didn’t here!

Bro should have at least got a game!
I was all for Bro starting game 2 despite some snide comments.
Helle sucks in the playoffs period.
The infamous WCF 2018 he would give a goal right back after we would score, not just once or twice.
He’s a hard dude to figure out.
Without him we don’t even make the playoffs.
Once we get in he’s part of the problem ( not all ** relax reactionary fans)

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I was all for Bro starting game 2 despite some snide comments.
Helle sucks in the playoffs period.
The infamous WCF 2018 he would give a goal right back after we would score, not just once or twice.
He’s a hard dude to figure out.
Without him we don’t even make the playoffs.
Once we get in he’s part of the problem ( not all ** relax reactionary fans)

"Calm down reactionary bros I'm just reacting here"

Reactions: WolfHouse

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
You didn't watch the video or read my post. The teams weren't mid. They were all star rosters. It was Paul Maurice that made them "mid" and he was one Buddy Robinson goal in a game his team wasn't invovled in from getting fired and his only coaching offers ever coming in from Siberia.

:shakehead
Those results aren't "mid"

In a league of 32 teams, finishing 16th is "mid". Maybe you're just not up to the cool-kid speak... but the term means "mediocre"

Unless you mean that not winning with a roster like that is "mid"... but them see my examples of Pittsburgh and Chicago in their non-cup years

I see your shakeyhead and raise you another one

:shakehead:shakehead

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Excluding the Game 1 Scoring Anomaly, Scheifele was terrible. If your top line C is getting outscored 7-2 at 5v5 you're hooped.

Lowry's line did nothing to stem the bleeding either. Outscored 4-1 at 5v5 in games 2-5.

Special teams sucked - as they have all year so no big surprise really. They've been a problem all year, and nothing was done about it (except adding Monahan to the PP like it was a player issue and not a system issue. Fire Lauer).

Hellebuyck was terrible - and this was a surprise. You can expect him to struggle a bit sometimes, but that was an epic collapse. Giving up an extra goal above expected every game is bad enough, never mind when the team is giving up xG like the San Jose Sharks.

Coaching - oh boy, was Bones outcoached. Colorado knew how to fluster the Jets and once they got rolling it was just a matter of time before the team imploded. Bones had no answers. Finally changed up the lines for the 1st and 2nd in Game 5, then reverts back to the lines that sucked all year to put the final nail in the coffin for the season.
Agreed on everything but Scheifele. What in the world series were you watching? Him and Connor were the forwards creating and sustaining pressure all series.

The goals against totals are going to look pretty bad when you're playing big minutes with Neal Pionk and when your team overall gets scored on the most since any team in 40 years. Oh, it will also hurt if you get .870 goaltending or if Sean Monohan decides to change with 7 seconds left in a period when the other team is stretching out a breakaway, leaving you to take the -1. I believe you stats nerd call this variance.

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita
You didn't watch the video or read my post. The teams weren't mid. They were all star rosters. It was Paul Maurice that made them "mid" and he was one Buddy Robinson goal in a game his team wasn't invovled in from getting fired and his next and only coaching offers ever only coming in from Siberia.

:shakehead
In 01/02 his Hurricanes were the 3rd seed in the East. They lost in the finals against Detroit, who iced one the most stacked teams in hockey history. 10 players on that team are in the HoF.

In 08/09 his Hurricanes were the 6th seed and lost in the EC finals against Pittsburgh, who went on to win the Cup.

Last year the Panthers did squeak into the playoffs, but they rose from a 3-1 series grave against the winningest regular season NHL team, ever. They went on to lose the Cup to the team that shall not be named. Who may or may not have circumvented the cap.

In those 3 examples, how could he have simultaneously made the team "mid" but also coached them to what I would consider successful seasons by anyone's standards? Certainly successful by ours.

He also took us to within a hair of a Presidents trophy and was in the running to do so this year. I think a little more respect should be put on PM's name, is all. As I say about Bowness, PM's not a perfect coach but there isn't one out there who is. Yeah, he holds the record for most regular season losses, but hockey is a funny old game from behind the bench. A stint coaching one of the most piss poor Maple Leafs teams I've ever seen contributed to that. Mr. Miyagi couldn't have polished that turd.

Last edited:

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
To be fair Schmidt while overpaid was not bad tonight.

as long as those vets have speed. After all they brought in Toffoli and that did not help.
Agreed but he was a second liner for this team I think a veteran Stanley cup winner like oh let say Colin Miller and a 3rd or 4th line veteran cup winner as you said with speed and/or grit aka able to win a board battle!!

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
All I ask for is a team that puts up a fight.

Honestly, the Leafs started converting me a bit with their victory last night.

But no, I can't cheer for someone other than the Jets.

I realised that I've now posted about 3 or 4 times that it's probably time for me to step away. So yeah, it's time. When my favourite posters are telling me to shut up and go away, yeah, it's time. I've let stuff get to me too much, not enjoying the game "properly" or whatever.

It's been a slice. Probably my favourite aspect of following the Jets has been this forum. Lots of great people here and interesting commentary discussion. My apologies for letting my emotions get the better of me and spouting off too much in here. Didn't want to leave on a bad note, but I have no one but myself to blame.

Always enjoyed your commentaries Buffdog, so I take your calling-out seriously and as a wakeup call.

@Jet your posts always stood out to me as well. Take care.

@Jets 31 always enjoy your upbeat approach and all the Big Lebowski memes and such.

@macmaroon thanks for all the effort you put into the gameday threads.

@sipowicz keep being cantankerous and calling players out.

I know there's a ton I'm missing. No disrespect, I just named the first few I thought of. I KNOW there are lots more. I hope the Jets have some monster seasons in the future for you all to enjoy. All the best to all of you.
You are frustrated and i totally understand, i am and i think everyone is. You are a good poster and all you want to do is vent that frustration and that's ok . @sipowicz makes a living at it and does quite well.:laugh:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
How many people wanted to pay a 1st rounder for Monahan around here? Go back and look at the speculation. I don't really care how Monahan did in the regular season to be honest. We failed in the playoffs, he was not good, and we gave up a 1st and 2nd (toffoli) to do so. Was it a worthy gamble? Maybe, but it failed.

A late first rounder, many people were fine giving that up for 2 months of Monohan.

You grade trades by if they make your team better, which that trade clearly did.

By your math, Nino and Vlad were failed acquisitions as well?

Reactions: Jets 31 and Ponds

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
In 01/02 his Hurricanes were the 3rd seed in the East. They lost in the finals against Detroit, who iced one the most stacked teams in hockey history. 10 players on that team are in the HoF.

In 08/09 his Hurricanes were the 6th seed and lost in the EC finals against Pittsburgh, who went on to win the Cup.

Last year the Panthers did squeek into the playoffs, but they rose from a 3-1 series grave against the winningest regular season NHL team, ever. They went on to lose the Cup to the team that shall not be named. Who may or may not have circumvented the cap.

In those 3 examples, how could he have made the team "mid" but also coached them to what I would consider successful seasons by anyone's standards, simultaneously? Certainly successful by ours.

He also took us to within a hair of a Presidents trophy and was in the running to do so this year. I think a little more respect should be put on PM's name, is all. As I say about Bowness, PM's not a perfect coach but there isn't one out there who is. Yeah, he holds the record for most regular season losses, but hockey is a funny old game from behind the bench. A stint coaching one of the most piss poor Maple Leafs teams I've ever seen contributed to that. Mr. Miyagi couldn't have polished that turd.

I can't think of anyone in Hockey that can benefit more by winning the Stanley Cup than Paul Maurice. His long coaching record is of resounding failure over and over again. Most losses in the history of the NHL, never won the big one, quit on an NHL team mid season on the morning of a game, etc.

Now if he and the Panthers win it this year, all of that goes away. None of that matters. Then he will always be Stanley Cup Champion Coach Paul Maurice. That will be his new legacy, forever. I am rooting for him this year. The Panthers are absolutely stacked. Unless Bob melts down, they should make it out of the East.

Panthers / Avs final would be ridiculous in a good way.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com

Last year the Panthers did squeek into the playoffs, but they rose from a 3-1 series grave against the winningest regular season NHL team, ever. They went on to lose the Cup to the team that shall not be named. Who may or may not have circumvented the cap.

In those 3 examples, how could he have made the team "mid" but also coached them to what I would consider successful seasons by anyone's standards? Certainly successful by ours.

The 2019 Jets finished with 99 points and got bounced in the first round. This 2024 roster is a lottery team by comparison.

Maurice has 1859 regular season games coached, 118 playoff games coached and zero Stanley Cups. Paul Maurice could very well become a case study in management schools for how rare that longevity is in professional sports. Nobody has lost more or won less. Maybe his almost 2000 games behind the bench is just a small sample....

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The 2019 Jets finished with 99 points and got bounced in the first round. This 2024 roster is a lottery team by comparison.

Maurice has 1859 regular season games coached, 118 playoff games coached and zero Stanley Cups. Paul Maurice could very well become a case study in management schools for how rare that longevity is in professional sports. Nobody has lost more or won less. Maybe his almost 2000 games behind the bench is just a small sample....

It was really funny reading some of the posts in the Cats vs. Bolts series about how Cooper was getting outcoached by Maurice.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
maybe folks need to stop handing out TDL grades until the POs conclude.

even our grade the TDL thread was made a day or 2 after the TDL..... they barely played any games, and importantly 0 PO games.

anyway both things can be true, regular-season: monahan was v good, tofolli was alright. POs: id say neither were good at all esp. monahan.

how you weight regular-season vs PO play is up to you. but i think most consider POs more significant.

Pretty sure if we graded the trade several weeks after, most would be happy on Monohan's performance prior to post season.

I dont view the trade as the reason we lost this series, they did not perform well as did the majority of the team. That trade made us better regardless of how it ended in playoffs.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Ponds

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
A late first rounder, many people were fine giving that up for 2 months of Monohan.

You grade trades by if they make your team better, which that trade clearly did.

By your math, Nino and Vlad were failed acquisitions as well?
Nino had an extra year on his contract so not the same, Vlad cost a 4th (I think) so don't really care about the cost and he ended up re-signing. 1st and 2nd vs. a 4th is a huge difference.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I was away and missed our one and only W...attended the 2 Tuesday games.

Not many bright spots for me...

JoMo is a stud...he is not Makar, but definitely in the next tier of high end D.

Soul Bear has a wonderful set of pipes...he blows any of the other girls out of the water. Hoosli are still the ultimate though.

Oh yeh, one other thing:

Winnipeg still has an abundance of beautiful women. Walking around the concourse last night and sheesh...
I worked on a project several years back with a group of consultants from Vancouver who traveled extensively through Canada and USA. They all said Winnipeg took a backseat to no one when it came to food and beautiful girls. Can't say I disagree on either front...

Thanks to all who contribute...lotsa great hockey minds on here!

Special nod to @macmaroon for your mastery of the Game Day Thread, @kanadalainen for the wonderful prose, and @Jets 31 for keeping it light and the good tunes!
:naughty:Turn it up

Reactions: FFHockey

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita

Aren't most of us currently bummed out that the Jets had a great regular season just to get dumped in round 1? What's more important? Regular season or playoff success?

You don't have to agree, but in my books if you can take a team(s) to 3 Conference finals and 2 Cup finals, win or lose that's a level of success.

Do Minnesota Vikings faithful consider Bud Grant a failure?

For crying out loud, some supporters of the football club I follow, Liverpool, consider the current manager (who is retiring) Jurgen Klopp a failure. He won 7 different trophies, including a Premier League title after a 30 year drought and a 6th European Cup. But because he also lost in 2 Champions League finals and lost 2 league titles to Manchester City (a club up for legal investigation who are literally funded by a state) by a single point, each time, his reign wasn't a success.

You're entitled to your opinion, I don't begrudge you that. I just don't see it the same way.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed on everything but Scheifele. What in the world series were you watching? Him and Connor were the forwards creating and sustaining pressure all series.

The goals against totals are going to look pretty bad when you're playing big minutes with Neal Pionk and when your team overall gets scored on the most since any team in 40 years. Oh, it will also hurt if you get .870 goaltending or if Sean Monohan decides to change with 7 seconds left in a period when the other team is stretching out a breakaway, leaving you to take the -1. I believe you stats nerd call this variance.
The Jets scored a total of 2 goals at 5v5 over the last 4 games with Scheif on the ice. His 3.29 xGF/60 was pretty darn good until you look at the 4.54 xGA/60 he was giving up...that's monumentally bad.

But as you said, playing half your minutes with Neal Pionk will tend to put you in an unflattering light.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The Jets scored a total of 2 goals at 5v5 over the last 4 games with Scheif on the ice. His 3.29 xGF/60 was pretty darn good until you look at the 4.54 xGA/60 he was giving up...that's monumentally bad.

But as you said, playing half your minutes with Neal Pionk will tend to put you in an unflattering light.
Schief was 22nd among centres in scoring this year. The reality is that at this point in his career, he's probably miscast as a 1C. He's gonna lose matchups vs the mackinnons of the world, and most other 1C's unfortunately

Edit to note: I realize he wasn't matched up with Mack most of the series, which makes it worse

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

murat agreed with this assessment on wst today

Reactions: raideralex99

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Schief was 22nd among centres in scoring this year. The reality is that at this point in his career, he's probably miscast as a 1C. He's gonna lose matchups vs the mackinnons of the world, and most other 1C's unfortunately

Edit to note: I realize he wasn't matched up with Mack most of the series, which makes it worse

Yup, he's a low end 1C at this point. It's why this org has needed to do a much better job trying to develop an heir apparent. One of the reasons them pulling the plug on Cole as 2C after three games was incredibly short sighted. Chances of us trading for a replacement are slim.

I guess we will see if they have a plan to tryvagain next year.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yup, he's a low end 1C at this point. It's why this org has needed to do a much better job trying to develop an heir apparent. One of the reasons them pulling the plug on Cole as 2C after three games was incredibly short sighted. Chances of us trading for a replacement are slim.

I guess we will see if they have a plan to tryvagain next year.
I think they have to give either Perfetti or Lambert a real chance to run with the 2C job out of camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad