Post-Game Talk: Avs 5 - Jets 1, Avs lead series 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I don't know. Saying the Jets were winning until they got destroyed is like saying it was dry outside until it started raining.

I have been super impressed with Marchand. The guy is a disgusting weasel but man does he show up when it counts.
They got destroyed on the PK ... check the 5 on 5 stats.
I totally agree Marchand is a great team player. I heard he goes to the 5 day rookie camp to teach the rookies how to play and what its like to be a Bruin.
My point was the Jets got screwed by the refs on the Stanley penalties back to back which opened the flood gates. I didn't see a penalty when Monahan got a butt end to the face or when the score was 2-1 Morrissey got taken down in front of the Avs net. I don't care what anyone says but the refs can decide the games by calling penalties and its up to the team to kill off the penalties. The great teams can do that the good teams can't.
I just find it weird the Vegas/Star series for example both teams have a good PPs and the refs let them play and they get equal PP 2-2. 1-1, and game 3 was 2-1 penalties for the Star maybe because they were down 2-0 in the series they get an extra PP lol.

Reactions: Orrrules

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He can defend just fine. He’s not going to overpower anyone but he is very intelligent, similar to how Enstrom played defense. And a huge part of defence is the ability to transition out of our end and that is where he shines. That is the ability we lack currently.

Agreed. I see him as potentially being our version of Girard. Smaller dmen that helps with quick retrieval and a high end first pass. He also has the ability to jump into the play and contribute offensively.

Reactions: JetsUK and Buffdog

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
No practice? No worries. Everything under control. The System is alive and well...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
A smart owner puts people in place to succeed instead of people that are loyal. I'll give you an example the Dallas Cowboys have won nothing since Jerry declared he was the smartest man in football.

A person between owner and GM is just redundant. Do you actually think that person doesn't take his marching orders from the owner?

It is a necessary position in a situation like the TML have. Corporate ownership where the 'owner' is represented by a committee. Speaking of TML, how is that President of Hockey Ops model working for them?

IDK the Jets problem with any certainty and I know the solution even less. I can make guesses and suggestions but that is all they would be. Sometimes, they might even be good. Who knows? We would never be likely to find out.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
He can defend just fine. He’s not going to overpower anyone but he is very intelligent, similar to how Enstrom played defense. And a huge part of defence is the ability to transition out of our end and that is where he shines. That is the ability we lack currently.

Yeah. The things he's best at -- positioning, transition play and passing, PP QB'ing and getting shots through, and so on -- are things the Jets need. Sure he isn't blowing guys up on every play but neither is Makar (or every other good smaller D who isn't Makar), and neither is Stanley, who has never been that player.

TBF, Bowness was absolutely ready to give Ville a shot after his strong preseason until the injury. After the injury, the usual caution crept in and it was off the table, esp after they'd spent on another D they wouldn't play in Miller.

I know there's a sense that fan won't pay to watch raw youth lose. But they might pay to watch raw youth show off their skill and play their hearts out and lose only some of the time.

We can't on the one hand laud Jets fans as the most knowledgeable on the planet and also say that they won't watch an exciting young team in development mode, that already has a solid core of vets and Vezina goalie.

Outside of 2017-18, the young teams the Jets iced as that team emerged played some of the most fun Jets hockey we've seen.

I think Ville and Samberg plus Salmo when he's ready might be a good young D core, maybe with DD and with Stan if they keep him.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I was wondering who would fall for it and indulge her first. I must say, expected the regular guy.
Yeah, the "regular guy' got tired of being played over and over and is trying to not get jerked around so much. You gotta think it was a thong bikini of some kind but I'm not gonna ask. No, sir, not me. But I am allowed to go back and look at her pics in the humor thread and speculate.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah. The things he's best at -- positioning, transition play and passing, PP QB'ing and getting shots through, and so on -- are things the Jets need. Sure he isn't blowing guys up on every play but neither is Makar (or every other good smaller D who isn't Makar), and neither is Stanley, who has never been that player.

TBF, Bowness was absolutely ready to give Ville a shot after his strong preseason until the injury. After the injury, the usual caution crept in and it was off the table, esp after they'd spent on another D they wouldn't play in Miller.

I know there's a sense that fan won't pay to watch raw youth lose. But they might pay to watch raw youth show off their skill and play their hearts out and lose only some of the time.

We can't on the one hand laud Jets fans as the most knowledgeable on the planet and also say that they won't watch an exciting young team in development mode, that already has a solid core of vets and Vezina goalie.

Outside of 2017-18, the young teams the Jets iced as that team emerged played some of the most fun Jets hockey we've seen.

I think Ville and Samberg plus Salmo when he's ready might be a good young D core, maybe with DD and with Stan if they keep him.
heinola can barely tread water in the NHL regular season. he would be eaten alive by the Avs stop kidding yourself. i don't think anyone wants to pay playoff prices to see "young team in development mode"

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
But they might pay to watch raw youth show off their skill and play their hearts out and lose only some of the time.
I think this is one of the more important points here. Which of the 20 Jets that allegedly showed up yesterday are actually afraid that if they continue to play like shit, a Lambert or a Heinola might replace them? My guess would be less than five, and even that is generous. For most of our regulars, there is zero repercussions for anything. On the flip side, I truly wonder what we are actually expecting from our youngsters, because if this kind of performance doesn't even get Perfetti into the lineup, how will the rest of them get there?

Once again, we come back to the fact that this organisation is far too loyal and not experimental enough with what riches they have amassed over the years. Sure, they're going with the safe option of everybody having to earn their spots (while giving chances to practically nobody), but the second they get figured out, they are f***ed. A lot of people have defended this approach here - a lot of the same people who also claim that this performance is about problems with... lol... mental fortitude. f*** that.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
. i don't think anyone wants to pay playoff prices to see "young team in development mode"

At this point, maybe, why not? I have tickets to game #5 and given this team's history when facing elimination, I am fully going to that game expecting it to be a mitigating disaster, and that's with our current lineup.

Reactions: JetsUK

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think this is one of the more important points here. Which of the 20 Jets that allegedly showed up yesterday are actually afraid that if they continue to play like shit, a Lambert or a Heinola might replace them? My guess would be less than five, and even that is generous. For most of our regulars, there is zero repercussions for anything. On the flip side, I truly wonder what we are actually expecting from our youngsters, because if this kind of performance doesn't even get Perfetti into the lineup, how will the rest of them get there?

Once again, we come back to the fact that this organisation is far too loyal and not experimental enough with what riches they have amassed over the years. Sure, they're going with the safe option of everybody having to earn their spots (while giving chances to practically nobody), but the second they get figured out, they are f***ed. A lot of people have defended this approach here - a lot of the same people who also claim that this performance is about problems with... lol... mental fortitude. f*** that.

To me they got a bit out of their depth when they moved from draft and develop to trying to win at all costs.

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
They didn't draft them, but utilized assets including high picked players to acquire Eichel, Pietrangelo and Hanafin etc.
And the added bonus of being a franchise and location that players want to go. Vegas can literally have any available player they want.

Reactions: Orrrules

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
heinola can barely tread water in the NHL regular season. he would be eaten alive by the Avs stop kidding yourself. i don't think anyone wants to pay playoff prices to see "young team in development mode"

I'm not talking about Game 5, but next season.

As to the other, I disagree on both counts, but fair enough. I'd pay, and did pay, back then. Would I still, if I lived there again? Probably.

Fans have complained for years about the lack of GaF on these teams. I think there's a version of the Jets with real internal competition and some exciting young talent added to the vet core that would be a blast to watch, and might still be skilled enough to do some damage.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Gin has worn off......and am still irate.

This Jets team, that garnered 108 pts, allowing the least goals in the NHL.....while emphasizing "the system" "doing things the right way" "discipline" etc, etc.......has so far, looked like a total clown show, out there....
It was 110 points.
I think I've seen 4 different point totals listed for the Jets this weekend on our board.
It had me questioning what the real number was.

Reactions: thereturn

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
How exactly do you know this? He's played 10 NHL games in 2 years. Can players get better? Or should we just play the gud pro every time?

Young players need chances. Is Heinola the answer? Does he suck? Who knows! He needs to play to find out, he's clearly dominant in the AHL. They better find a f***ing way to give him a chance next year.

Reactions: surixon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan