Post-Game Talk: Avs 5 - Jets 1, Avs lead series 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Jets hire coaches that a nice it's time to hire a coach that's not nice, someone that holds players responsible and doesn't settle. No I don't mean Torts

Reactions: GNP

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Jets hire coaches that a nice it's time to hire a coach that's not nice, someone that holds players responsible and doesn't settle. No I don't mean Torts

Attachments

• usatsi_20344556.jpg
    usatsi_20344556.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: WolfHouse

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Since leading 7-4 in game 1 we have been outscored 18-5.

It's been mentioned but because we are Winnipeg we can't sign a truly elite or big name C for the 1st line moving 55 to 2C. And even if we somehow could 55 would sulk.

KFC-Crosby-Vilardi
X-Scheifele-Perfetti
Barron-Lowry-Neidereitter
X-Namestnikov-X

Morrissey -DeMelo
Samberg-X
Heinola-veteran stay at home guy

Helle
Brossoit-somehow convince him to come back and flat out promise him more games.

Entire new coaching staff

I wonder what a quick first round exit yet again will do for attendance next season.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

It's been mentioned but because we are Winnipeg we can't sign a truly elite or big name C for the 1st line moving 55 to 2C. And even if we somehow could 55 would sulk.

KFC-Crosby-Vilardi
X-Scheifele-Perfetti
X-Namestnikov-X

Morrissey -DeMelo
Samberg-X

Helle

I wonder what a quick first round exit yet again will do for attendance next season.

We can't sign a big name C yet you put Crosby in the lineup?

Markster

Oct 13, 2019
Colorado fans are really lucky to have this team.

I hope Namestikov isn’t too bad, but it looked awful.
I am an Avs fan, coming in peace.

Yes, most of us realize and are thankful that we got lucky winning the lottery to get MacKinnon and then lucky that 3 teams passed on Makar. And Sakic flat out ripped off Ottawa and Montreal in trades. Without those, our rebuild would have stalled on the edge of making the playoffs rather than contending for Cups and winning one.

You all are good fans- we far prefer you to Edmonton or Minnesota fans. I only wish we weren't in the same division because that puts a limit on how much goodwill we can share.

The Jets play clean and that's really all I ever want from an opponent. And we agree about Namestikov. Nobody wants to see a player hurt like that.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Helle had a rough start to the regular season this year for the first 4 games or so if I remember correctly - regularly letting in 4 goals or more.

Maybe he's just had a slow start again and he'll be locked in starting game 5, they do say the playoffs are the start of a new season

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Helle has a rough start to the regular season this year for the first 4 games or so if I remember correctly - regularly letting in 4 goals or more.

Maybe he's just had a slow start again and he'll be locked in starting game 5, they do say the playoffs are the start of a new season
Love this relentlessly balanced POV. Thanks.. :)

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
At a loss.

I'll always be one to dream big, so it pains me to say the dream has dissipated for another year. Fantasies of celebrating a Cup on Portage and Main forgotten once more. The boy's don't have it.

Refs were highly suspect again but their job was made easy. The Jets flat out couldn't cope with Colorado. Put themselves in situations where calls against could be made. A lack of fight, a lack of ability and a lack of instinct. Whether you're better than the opposition comes second to how much you're willing to die/live for it. The Avalanche look like they want it. The Jets don't. They aren't going out the way I would. That's what's gut wrenching.

I'll watch game 4. I'll support the team season after season. It isn't all about winning to me. I went the majority of my youth without an NHL club representing the city of Winnipeg. Nothing will make me forget the longing, I'll always be grateful to have a team back. Even though my time could be used for better things, I enjoy spending winter months watching the Winnipeg Jets. That won't change.

However, I can't shake the feeling there is something wrong with the organization as a whole. There seems to be a soft underbelly weakening it. I have not had faith in Mark Chipman as the man at the helm, for years now. I think more questions need to be asked regarding his ability to oversee a hockey club. A fish stinks from the head..

There's more I could say on that but I'll leave it for now.

I hope you all can find some relief from the frustration and enjoy the rest of your day. For me it'll be taking the pooch on a walk and doing a bit of tinkering. Chins up, ya'll.

See you for at least one more dance.
True North spends more time focussing on their land acknowledgement pandering than they do finding players with heart.
The blind never wavering of “loyalty” to both players and coaches is their epic failure, that they feel is their greatest strength.
Total loyalty and defence of you spouse and family is a great trait. For a pro sports team, it means failure.
True North, as I have been saying since 2019 is the really problem with winnipegs hockey team. To me, True North are the largest frauds in the the organization. Looks like a trickle down effect is very real.
Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Guess my username now has a meaning as a Jets fan.
News flash, Canadian teams don't win the SC anymore.
I bet if Vancouver wins it's because they only have Americans on that team and Quinn Hughes is an American captain. Win-win, because the cup returns to Canada.

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021

KFC-Crosby-Vilardi
X-Scheifele-Perfetti
X-Namestnikov-X

Morrissey -DeMelo
Samberg-X

Helle

Usually it's the depth guys that win you a cup.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia

Yes, most of us realize and are thankful that we got lucky winning the lottery to get MacKinnon and then lucky that 3 teams passed on Makar. And Sakic flat out ripped off Ottawa and Montreal in trades. Without those, our rebuild would have stalled on the edge of making the playoffs rather than contending for Cups and winning one.

You all are good fans- we far prefer you to Edmonton or Minnesota fans. I only wish we weren't in the same division because that puts a limit on how much goodwill we can share.

The Jets play clean and that's really all I ever want from an opponent. And we agree about Namestikov. Nobody wants to see a player hurt like that.

Appreciate the kind words! I can’t speak for every jets fan as some will be on the canadian team train after this series, but I’ll be on the Avs bandwagon (again).

myself I do not care about whether a team is in canada to win the cup; I only care and wish for the Jets to win a cup. Unfortunately for us, it will be a hard thing as we have a lot going against our market. There is no easy answer short of draft lottery for generational players. I have teams I like and teams I don’t like and a lot has to do with specific players or my experiences with fan bases in the past. To that end, I despise the leafs and oilers and, my experience with canucks fans earlier this year completely turned me off that team. I felt this year the Jets had a legit chance to go deep and silently felt confident about us being the best Canadian team in the west.

The Jets were a good team in the regular season. But we just, persistently, do not have what it takes in the playoffs to go far. And after such a good regular season by our standards it sucks and hurts to come to that realization.

In 2022, when I bandwagoned the Avs for the playoffs, I noticed you guys also hate the same teams that Jets fans hate so it felt natural and I cheered like it was my team when you guys ended the oilers.

Given I (and many other jets fans) was a fan of classic Avalanche players in 2000s and always liked Bednar as a coach and Makar is one of my favourite players in the sport, there’s a lot of like about the Avs team and I’ll probably be rooting for your guys in the west overall (and the kings - I have had a soft sport for them for a while)

So anyways. Even if we win game 5 (unlikely), you guys will take the series. The Avs are just playing so much better that it’s not going to miraculously change, there is no switch to flip. You should feel proud of your team - some questions going into the series but that championship pedigree cannot be denied

ALSO. I like the nuggets and you guys are freaking lucky in Denver right now 😂

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
I can’t wait for the off-season. First will be the end of season presser with Chevy where he blabbers on and on like a politician dodging any questions with any substance. Hopefully we can hear about how successful with whiteouts were.
Brossoit probebly walks in the off season (don’t blame him one bit), we sign the worst available backup goalie, and we’re stuck with another year of hearing about how great hellebuyck is all season.
sign a few 4th liners, try to play them as second liners, and completely ignore our total lack of defence.
Even if Bowness get shown the door, or decides he’s had enough, it’s just going to be Arniel anyways, because apparently having Winnipeg connections is more important than looking for a good coach. It would be nice if this organization did something for once in their lives that wasn’t just taking the safe route. Too scared to even pull the goalie until it’s way too late because why? Scared of hurting his feelings? Chipman and Chevy meddling too much in hockey ops?
But raally though, what’s the point, even if they make the playoffs next year who can honestly get excited about that when this group has proven time and time again that they cannot get it done when it matters.
The stink starts from the top down, and I don’t know if it’s Chevy or Chipman, but this isn’t the group to lead us anywhere. Another potential good season wasted away in pathetic fashion. Kudos Chevy, Kudos.
True

Reactions: Zippity

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is the third coach, if you count Lowry, who had no ideas for this core.
I do not think it is coaching. I think it is the players in fact the play on the ice shows who it is!!

It definitely is on some of those players but to be fair we've tried for the exact same type of old school coach each time. Maybe they need to shift their coaching philosophy because for better or for worse we are stuck with this core for another half a decade.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012

Thanks for the message. You are lucky that your starts are showing up. The Jets are a passive team. Ehlers led them in hits that is all that has to be said about the Jets effort vs your squad. It must be nice to see them protect an average goalie with such aggressive and fast play whereas the Jets leave Helly out to dry. Good luck in round two., however I think it will be a stiffer challenge than this NHL vs AHL series.

The Namestikov injury does look bad and makes us all pause to realize this is only a game. I also pray he is not hurt too badly. The coach said he went to the hospital, hopefully just for observation!

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013

Yep, lucky for sure, but still did a pretty good job with assets building this team.

Contrast to Edmonton or something:

Edmonton - 9 top-10 draft picks, and they have 2 superstar players to show for it, one with potential, one who is pretty good, and one who is not very good and brutally over-paid with a long-term no trade move clause. They have basically nothing to show for post top-10 draft picks.

vs: Colorado - 7 top-10 draft picks (a lot worse picks, in draft position on average, too) - To show for it, they have Makar, with one of the best post-entry level contracts in the league. They have MacKinnon (recently had one of the best contracts in the league, including when they won the cup, but not anymore), Rantanen, Lekhonen, Mittelstadt, and Girard. 5 core pieces of their current team, and they did have multiple important pieces to their cup run, like Kadri and Compher. 3 superstars, had Kadri (not anymore), as an amazing 2C that was a huge part of their cup win, a good Dman in Girard, Lekhonen who is a really good fwd, clutch in the playoffs, and was a huge part of their cup win, had Compher (not anymore) who scored some major goals in their cup run, and their current 2nd line centre, who is an OK 2C, in Middlestadt. But they really needed one. This is counting asset management of post-top 10 draft picks, and players that resulted from trading their draft picks.

They also flipped 2 2nds for another one of the best contracts in the league in Toews, got a great signing in Nicuhskin, snagged Drouin for a 1 year deal at league minimum, signed Josh Manson, and acquired Walker via trade.

And Yzerman did a masterful job with asset management in Tampa building a cup-core with no top-10s, and primarily post-1st rders, unsigned free agents, and trades.

Anyway, I too like WPG.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
It definitely is on some of those players but to be fair we've tried for the exact same type of old school coach each time. Maybe they need to shift their coaching philosophy because for better or for worse we are stuck with this core for another half a decade.
I agree they may need a new style coach but unless they improve team speed they will be fodder for teams like Dal and Col. I thought it was bittersweet when they signed Scheif because despite his all world talent his no match for the Mackinnon's or McDavid's of the world so it is hard to build a team around him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad