Avengers Endgame spoiler thread - stay out if you haven't seen the movie

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
So if Disney released an 4 hour directors cut at year end of the movie to try for Oscar buzz who would go see it?

Apparently the Russos only cut 5 minutes from the movie so there won't be a 4 hour version. Not that they've ever even released extended/director's cut version in the first place.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Apparently the Russos only cut 5 minutes from the movie so there won't be a 4 hour version. Not that they've ever even released extended/director's cut version in the first place.

Well that’s just stupid of them....it’s a 3 hour movie at that point 5 mins is irrelevant

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Of course someone is going to like Thanos more in IW than Endgame. Thanos is the "hero" of IW - his journey is the hero's journey. In Endgame, he is purely the villain.

The issue is that Endgame Thanos is a different Thanos: it lessens the emotional impact of the final showdown.

We waited for a year to see Thanos vs Iron Man, Cap and Thor together and we never really get it.

Reactions: Emperoreddy

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The issue is that Endgame Thanos is a different Thanos: it lessens the emotional impact of the final showdown.

We waited for a year to see Thanos vs Iron Man, Cap and Thor together and we never really get it.
Thanos is literally a different Thanos. There are 4 fewer years of growth, depth, experiences - many of those which added depth to the character. So yeah, you got a different Thanos. Thanos in IW was actively achieving his ambitions, while dealing with all of the changes going on the hero's journey entails. In Endgame, he's literally just a bad guy. He doesn't know how he won, or what it cost - all he knows is he won and someone is trying to undo it.

Reactions: Emperoreddy

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Thanos is literally a different Thanos. There are 4 fewer years of growth, depth, experiences - many of those which added depth to the character. So yeah, you got a different Thanos. Thanos in IW was actively achieving his ambitions, while dealing with all of the changes going on the hero's journey entails. In Endgame, he's literally just a bad guy. He doesn't know how he won, or what it cost - all he knows is he won and someone is trying to undo it.

Yes I know all this: I'm arguing that they didn't use Thanos' character or the emotional baggage IW built-up properly in this movie.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm pretty sure there was like 3 minutes of those three fighting Thanos.

It's an odd criticism because it actually happened.

We did but because it was a different Thanos, I didn't particularly care. I never got to see the version of that fight I was really hoping to see, it was what I was most hyped for when going to see the movie.

That and the fight itself was a bit disappointing.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The fight in Titan involved Iron Man, Dr. Strange, Mantis, Spider Man, Star Lord, Nebula, and Drax the Destroyer.

It's going to be more involved.

It also involved the 4 of the 6 Infinity Stones.

I understand why Endgame is how it is, it just didn't deliver on what I really wanted to see which inevitably soured me on the experience a bit.

It is a real shame that the conclusion doesn't match the set up to the conclusion. They got me super pumped but they never matched IW.

In a way, I'm also to blame for giving into the hype when conclusions rarely live-up to the build-up.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It also involved the 4 of the 6 Infinity Stones.

I understand why Endgame is how it is, it just didn't deliver on what I really wanted to see which inevitably soured me on the experience a bit.

It is a real shame that the conclusion doesn't match the set up to the conclusion. They got me super pumped but they never matched IW.

In a way, I'm also to blame for giving into the hype when conclusions rarely live-up to the build-up.

What's funny is that IW is getting pumped up but I found it pretty jarring with the amount of jumping around that happened and the pacing a bit too manic.

Personally I think it's on par with IW, which has its own set of faults.

I don't think these centerpiece "everyone in the movie" films are ever going to be the best the MCU has to offer. They just have to sacrifice too much character building to move things along.

However, when you compare them to Justice League or Suicide Squad or any other "mass numbers of superheros movies", they do a fine job.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
What's funny is that IW is getting pumped up but I found it pretty jarring with the amount of jumping around that happened and the pacing a bit too manic.

I don't think these centerpiece "everyone in the movie" films are ever going to be the best the MCU has to offer. They just have to sacrifice too much character building to move things along.

However, when you compare them to Justice League or Suicide Squad or any other "mass numbers of superheros movies", they do a fine job.

Infinity War is a massive pay off, it delivered everything it said it would. I think Endgame showed the MCU buckling a bit under its own weight.

Also, this is really minor but I did not really like how focused they were on the "snap": you undo the snap by snapping and to undo the undoing, you gotta snap some more and OH SNAP, Tony's dead.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I think moving forward that any future avengers movie doesn’t involve so many characters. Too much of a good thing.

I will agree that it would have been more interesting to see thanos protect what he did with the snap vs the younger version of himself. But the writers opted for him to destroy the stones rather than spread them throughout the galaxy. But is it really interesting to see the heroes go throughout the galaxy locating them? And without the space stone how is thanos going to go and stop the avengers? Have to setup a final fight with them.

Just too much for end game to wrap up cleanly. Enjoyed the ride, but generally prefer smaller battles.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
I think moving forward that any future avengers movie doesn’t involve so many characters. Too much of a good thing.

I will agree that it would have been more interesting to see thanos protect what he did with the snap vs the younger version of himself. But the writers opted for him to destroy the stones rather than spread them throughout the galaxy. But is it really interesting to see the heroes go throughout the galaxy locating them? And without the space stone how is thanos going to go and stop the avengers? Have to setup a final fight with them.

Just too much for end game to wrap up cleanly. Enjoyed the ride, but generally prefer smaller battles.

That would be totally different movie. The Endgame is about the main characters and their stories. Its not about stones. The main idea of the Endgame is to show the progression they made since the start of their journeys. The film does it by comparing characters from now and from the past. It's basically shows the conclusion of their respective stories: 1) Coming of age - Captain America story, 2) Altruism vs egoism - Iron Man story, 3) Losing yourself - Thor story, 4) Redemption - Black Widow story, 5) Salvation - Hawk Eye story, 6) Making peace with "yourself" - Hulk story.

Last edited:

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Oscar debates

I am not sure about each category, but the Oscar for a screenplay should be an easy win:
1) for the introduction of the multiverse and time traveling to the wide audience on the big screen.
2) for the culmination of stories of 20+ movies
3) Last time a movie had that big debate in the internet about its plot was LOTR. It won the best adapted screenplay (3rd part).

Last edited:

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Straight from the horse’s mouth in a Reddit AMA Kevin Feige says Cap was always worthy and was being polite in Age of Ultron.

I would say the same if I were him. But it's a simplified explanation. It is not a detailed one. A detailed one would be something like this: The story of Captain America is a classic coming of age story of a person who tried to prove himself worthy (in general, not to the Mjolnir). Which is why he became a soldier and refused to live a peaceful life (The First Avenger movie). But he made the self-sacrifice. Which is one of the three Mjolnir's feats to complete. In the Age of Ultron he is still trying to prove it. Since he is still trying, he is not there yet. Which is why he could not lift the hammer. In the Endgame:
2) he stopped trying to prove it:
a) "Hail hydra" = "I don't wanna fight and prove it"
b) "I am not Loki" = "I don't wanna fight and prove it"
c) "Yeah I know" = "What an idiot I was, now I finally grew up and I don't wanna fight and prove it"
(Classic 3 times^)
and
3) accepted the family life with Peggy instead of a life of the soldier.
Then he became worthy of the power of Thor.

Why is that? Well, this is the plot of the Thor-1 movie:
1) to make a self-sacrifice
2) to make a choice of a peaceful life over war
3) to become adult = you don't need to prove yourself anymore

But yeah, you can put it simply "he refused to lift it", if you don't wanna go that much into details.
You can even copy-paste this and ask him if this is what the writers meant. Cause this is what they wrote or very very close to it.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Oscar debates

I am not sure about each category, but the Oscar for a screenplay should be an easy win:
1) for the introduction of the multiverse and time traveling to the wide audience on the big screen.
2) for the culmination of stories of 20+ movies
3) Last time a movie had that big debate in the internet about its plot was LOTR. It won the best adapted screenplay (3rd part).

The achievement these of this and Infinity War truly is remarkable and especially Infinity War should've gotten some play but unfortunately the Academy doesn't give a shit about that or any of the things you listed.

Reactions: Hint1k

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm curious to see where they go with the universe after this in terms of villains.

The only one I can think of bigger than Thanos would be Galactus, but that would require introducing essentially another 10 to 15 movies worth of story since you'd need to introduce the fantastic four and probably the x-men

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I'm curious to see where they go with the universe after this in terms of villains.

The only one I can think of bigger than Thanos would be Galactus, but that would require introducing essentially another 10 to 15 movies worth of story since you'd need to introduce the fantastic four and probably the x-men

Doom could be just as big. But yeah, the next "big bad" will be built up over many years in a similar fashion to how Thanos was. My hope is that it's Doom, but that they also give him a solo movie. Not getting my hopes up on that, but a man can dream.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Going bigger is not going to be better.

I'd stay away from trying to keep one-upping the villain because it ends up being ridiculous.

Reactions: yada

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad